walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Starav bridge what bridge

Ben Starav bridge what bridge

Postby jonny616 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:41 pm

Route description: Ben Starav and Glas Bheinn Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Ben Starav, Glas Bheinn Mhòr

Date walked: 10/07/2010

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1390m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Headed out to Glen Etive, leaving Glasgow at 06:30 with the intention of walking Stob Coir'an Albannaich with Meall nan Eun & Glas Bheinn Mhor. A 21k stroll partly inspiered by curlywurly's report a couple of weeks ago & in preperation for tackling the South Shiel Ridge in August.

Met up with the reat of the crew in Tyndrum arriving at our start point at about 9am. I had never been down the etive road & it is a beautifull place.
005_5.JPG
Stob Dubh (BE Beag) to Starav

Whilst getting geared up & looking at our first target GB Mhor it seamed silly not to go over Starav first. So of we set with a why not kind of attitude. We had all told respective partners we would be home late.
006_6.JPG
Starav & GB Mhor
009_9.JPG
B E Beag

Off we set along the track to Coiletir crossing the bridge over the etive & follow the fence round. Headed accross the marshy bracken ground having pin pointed the path to Starav on the other side of the Alt Mheuran. This was clearly quicker than following the route nearer the etive. Oops!

Arrived at the raging torent that was Alt Mheuran & preceded to what can only be discribed as 'fannying about' in an indiscisive way going up & down, into the revien, out of the revien, higher up to look for a suitable place to cross. Eventualy we took different routes & methods. Myself & Harry choosing lower down, boots of trousers rolled up & wade across.
008_8.JPG
river crossing

We all met up again higher up on the path, by which time some other walkers had told my pals about the bridge! At this point i was summeraly dismised from my map reading duties with no right of apeal, but hayho onwards & upwards. Cameron McNiesh discribes thie as 'a brutal ascent' & for once i agree with him. It went on & on untill we came to the boulder field & final push to the summit. From the bolder field we were in the clag so no more views.
011_11.JPG
View back
014_14.JPG
Starav in mist to GB Mhor
018_18.JPG
Sky
021_21.JPG
023_23.JPG
boulder field

Launch at the summit & then of along the narrowing ridge, which is great fun whith a few scrambly bits, but nothing serious. Down of Starav over the minor bump & up to the summit of GB Mhor.
039_39.JPG
Ridge of Starav
042_42.JPG
Not that way

043_43.JPG
Summit of GB Mhor

From here we could not pick up the path. So decided with the time already taken & with the rain now on it was head for home time. Followed our compass bearing & kind of zig zaged our way down very steep grass slops brocken up by crags. Eventualy emerging safely out of the clag with the bealach on our right & the stream directly ahead.

Then a 5.5k yop through some awfull bog back to the track.

Where did the day go back to the car at 19:30 having been gone 10.5 hours. The last 3 in the pouring rain.

All in a good day though.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Re: Ben Starav bridge what bridge

Postby walk aboot » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:12 pm

Nice report - looks like a good day out with lots of variety, going by the photos 8) .

Um, I can never seem to find bridges either! :? :lol:
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby Milesy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:05 pm

Nice report. That is actually the Rum Cuillin and not Skye you can see on Starav 8)
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby Graeme D » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:59 am

jonny616 wrote:Launch at the summit

Interesting outing jonny! Is this some new way off summits that you have developed? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby weescotsman » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Been there myself last year, Starav was only my 2nd time climbing with the guys I go out with, and I'd agree with the brutal description. At least we had a relatively sunny day for it..... and coming back down I decided to give the bridge a miss and wade straight across the river, still wearing boots and all. Seeing as I'd done in one of the soles on the boulder fields I wasn't too concerned about wet feet, as one already was. And the ice cold water was very soothing as I stopped for a few mins mid-river......

All in some fantastic views from the top though, well worthy of a climb even if I was cursing at the time......
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

Postby jonny616 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:32 pm

Graeme Dewar wrote:
jonny616 wrote:Launch at the summit

Interesting outing jonny! Is this some new way off summits that you have developed? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Graeme

Pasta power. It's the only way down. :D
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby kevsbald » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:47 pm

The bridge is at the bottom of the burn/river, not far from the cottage but most folk cut across to meet the river higher up - Pythagoras theorem and all that.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Lottie » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:53 pm

Ahhhhh - Starav was my first Munro - your photos brought back really good memories :D We had less cloud, fortunately! I also thought it was a never ending, brutal, upward slog (well....it is compared to my normal stomping grounds of the Cotswolds and Mendips), So worth it, though.
Lottie
Hill Bagger

Munros:5   
Fionas:2   
Wainwrights:3   

Postby mountain coward » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:43 am

I was wondering whether the bridge had washed away with all this rain and your title! :lol: Some great photos there - you make that narrow ridge after Starav's summit look really scary in your photo - almost makes me doubt I went along it (but I know I did really) :lol:
mountain coward

Postby jonny616 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:58 am

mountain coward wrote:I was wondering whether the bridge had washed away with all this rain and your title! :lol: Some great photos there - you make that narrow ridge after Starav's summit look really scary in your photo - almost makes me doubt I went along it (but I know I did really) :lol:

There was a couple of bits i thought might not have been MC friendly :D
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby jonny616 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:02 am

Milesy wrote:Nice report. That is actually the Rum Cuillin and not Skye you can see on Starav 8)

I thought it was a bit to close to be Skye, but it looked like it . My geography has always been a bit dodgy, which is a worry considering my hobby!
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby jonny616 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:05 am

Lottie wrote:Ahhhhh - Starav was my first Munro - your photos brought back really good memories :D We had less cloud, fortunately! I also thought it was a never ending, brutal, upward slog (well....it is compared to my normal stomping grounds of the Cotswolds and Mendips), So worth it, though.

I agree on the so worth it point although it might be a while before i do it again 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:05 pm

jonny616 wrote:
mountain coward wrote:I was wondering whether the bridge had washed away with all this rain and your title! :lol: Some great photos there - you make that narrow ridge after Starav's summit look really scary in your photo - almost makes me doubt I went along it (but I know I did really) :lol:

There was a couple of bits i thought might not have been MC friendly :D

Surprisingly, I didn't mind any of it - the only thing I found it was a slog!
mountain coward

Postby DEADEVEN » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:46 pm

Lottie wrote:Ahhhhh - Starav was my first Munro - your photos brought back really good memories :D We had less cloud, fortunately! I also thought it was a never ending, brutal, upward slog (well....it is compared to my normal stomping grounds of the Cotswolds and Mendips), So worth it, though.

interesting intro to scottish hills! what did you do to deserve this i wonder :lol:
DEADEVEN
Munro compleatist

Munros:226   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland