walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Charleston Peak ascent, Nevada, USA

Charleston Peak ascent, Nevada, USA

Postby PauloUK77 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:55 am

Date walked: 27/11/2017

Time taken: 5

Distance: 20 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather reports on the Monday suggested that things were going to take a turn for the worse on Mount Charleston. Looking out of the hotel window in the morning in Las Vegas suggested, it was going to be yet another lovely day.
I could have done this walk on the Sunday but the need to visit another attraction that closes during the week made me have to take the risk.
My plan was to drive Mount Charleston which is a resort town for the rich to live and a ski resort. Confusing I know Charleston Peak should be called Mount Charleston?
The drive in was a pleasure although very windy with me dodging the odd large bit of tumbleweed on the road. Then as altitude is gained it changes to forest, with snow markers at the side of the road and verges especially for chaining up wheels for snow.
Upon reaching the car park for Trail Canyon trail head, I was surprised that no other cars were there. If this was the UK surely there would be a few cars even in the week.

Getting out of the car was a shock, it was freezing but with clear skies I was in the mood for an attempt on this 11,916 ft (3,632 m) objective. The plan was to follow Trail canyon trail to North Loop trail which takes you to the summit.
Rather a long route but the South Loop trail was closed off for winter. Walking through the forest was nice and further up the trees turned to skeletons, lots of dead trees everywhere which had a spooky feel to it.
The trail headed up very slowly with lots of zigzags before reaching the top of the north shoulder of Charleston Peak. From here, it was more interesting contouring with drops and views to my left. At this point even the trees were frozen then the final steep zigzags before the summit came into view.
The summit had a mast with a US flag and other bits and bobs. Then it started snowing!! So with no time to hang around I had to make a fast retreat. My worry was not being able to drive out of the place in a Dodge V8 Hemi. All ended well and although the snow started getting faster, lower down it wasn't so bad. All in all a very enjoyable ascent.

P1020234.JPG
The car park for Trail Canyon trail head.

P1020237.JPG
Heading through the forest, good thing this isn't Bear country.

P1020242.JPG

P1020245.JPG

P1020246.JPG
The lifeless trees higher up.

20171127_192531.jpg
The distant summit.

P1020254.JPG

P1020256.JPG

P1020258.JPG

P1020263.JPG

P1020269.JPG
The final zigzigging path.

P1020274.JPG
The summit with all its paraphernalia.

20171127_210518.jpg

20171127_230045.jpg
Last edited by PauloUK77 on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:28   

Re: Charleston Peak ascent, Nevada, USA

Postby gaffr » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:17 am

This looks like a pleasant trail up the the summit. A good day out. Looks as if replacement trees are coming through where dead one's are. Were these maybe burned during a fire a long time back?
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Re: Charleston Peak ascent, Nevada, USA

Postby PauloUK77 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:22 am

It was a good route with no real difficulties gaffr.
You are most probably right, summer is hot up here and I seem to recall warnings regarding forest fires.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:28   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland