walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

"Meet us in the hollow"

"Meet us in the hollow"

Postby Coop » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:53 pm

Route description: Meall na Fearna, from Loch Earn

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall na Fearna

Date walked: 07/02/2018

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 720m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Parked at the usual place besides the big gnarly tree at Ardvorlich on the banks of Loch Earn.
Weather was to turn to snow and rain about lunchtime- so an early start it was.
Beautiful morning with no wind.
Up the track and hung a left up to the bridge.
Ben Vorlich looked so impressive from here covered in snow and the large Corrie.
Just past this I took a bearing up to 2 boulders sat on the ridge line and headed for these.
Snow got a little deeper but no real problems. Quite glad of it as it made crossing the large peat hags a lot easier.
Some crags to your right which if you stay left- are easily avoided. Closer I got to the base of meal na Fearna the steeper it looked. Axe out pole away - and I used it a couple of times to haul myself up.
On up to the small cairn with great views all round. Spikes went on for the wee steep descent. Followed my own footprints for a bit before I noticed 2 lads coming up from down at the stream. One of them shouted something which I couldnt make out as they were too far away. Decided to hang around and have a cold Cornish pastie while they ascended towards me.
I realised that one of them was carrying a rifle. As they got closer one shouted
"can you meet us in the hollow".
I thought ; no bother I'll wander off track a little and meet them- and after 4 or 5 steps I lost one leg into a bog past my knees. Manky and soaking I shouted "I've been having a good day until now" or words to that effect.
Anyway the stalker asked if I could descend down to the stream and go back that way rather than the way I was going. They were stalking a large herd and were out for the hinds. The way I was originally going would have sent them all running further away says he.
All year round stalking for hinds on this estate I think he went onto explain to me - I was still thinking about my wet leg !!
Chewed the fat for another 5 mins or so and I headed down the way he asked. Not a problem.
Snow started on cue and it was time to up the pace a little as I didn't want to get caught in it too much for the drive back.
Good hill and enjoyed today - even though I got unnecessarily soaked and I damaged the car by driving over a dead deer before Tarbet!!! Some erse behind me was too close and I was worried about braking hard- I should have!!

Cheers
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Re: "Meet us in the hollow"

Postby prog99 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:11 am

Its still the hind season at the moment. Oct 21 – Feb 15
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland