walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Winters Tale - Bidean Nam Bian & 3 Students!!

A Winters Tale - Bidean Nam Bian & 3 Students!!

Postby dooterbang » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:38 pm

Route description: Bidean nam Bian

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 04/02/2018

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1500m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the Sunday looking pretty tasty for a winters walk I did the Tolcross Parkrun (very hilly) Saturday and chilled for the day. I looked at bagging a couple of Corbetts near Glenfinnin, but the pull of something spectacular once again drew me to the mighty Bidean Nam Bian :)

The highest mountain in the old county of Argyll, Bidean nam Bian is the whole majestic range of mountains on the south side of Glen Coe. It's dramatic northern ridges are known as the Three Sisters, whilst the highest summits of the group are hidden away behind.The terrain is steep, rocky & complex, furthermore the descent from Bealach Dearg tricky due to cornices!

5.30am rise, leaving Glasgow at 6.30am. Booted up for 8.30am and I was on my merry way :) . Not much snow on the lower slopes, that kicked in around 500m. Looking upwards towards Stob Coire Nan Lochan it looked busy with climbers.

Three sisters.

I set off at a decent pace, overtaking some climbers, and soon was above the snow line. SCNL ever nearer :D

You can see 3 people in the distance. I think this was the 3 students...not the 3 sisters :lol:

I soon caught up with the 3 students, all studying at St Andrews. Maths, Econimcs, & Medicine. A Swiss Girl, A Canadain Boy, & A Scottish Lad (Borders). This was there first winter walk of the season, and the first time doing BnB. I ended up walking a big part of the route with them, keeping an eye on them :wink:

Climbers at SCNL

I had decided to follow the WH route as I knew this opened up great views up North, the students all ascended Broad Gully.

Looking North

Now on the ridge proper, and heading up to SCNL summit, the ground ahead was a mix of rock, ice & Neve. I was wearing my microsspikes but before the last steep ascent to the summit I stuck on the crampons 8)

Ridge ahead

First sight of the route up to the first Munro of BnB. This view certainly increased the adrenalin & excitement levels :D

Before the summit of SCNL, I watched the 3 students come up Broad Gully. All smiling, all having a fantastic time 8)

Was now a steep rocky climb to the summit of SCNL, the summit providing some spectacular views :D

Met two climbers at the summit who kindly took a summit pic :)

Decided to drop down the ridge ahead, before heading up the steep narrow ridge to BnB, and had some food. The 3 students would ascend it just in front of me.

The route ahead

This part was steep with big drop offs, but the snow was compact and crusty which made for good going.

Final part of the ridge to the first munro of BnB.

Looking back to SCNL, and route walked.

After 2hrs plus I was standing on the first munro summit 8)

The views East over both Bookils simply stunning 8)

Has a chat here with the students about the descent from the Bealach into the Hidden Valley, and that one winter I had to reascend BnB due to cornices. We would have a look as we passed it on route to munnro number 2.

It was now a very pleasurable walk along the never ending ridge :D

We had a look from the Bealach and although it was extremely steep it was doable. I would walk to the 2nd Munro of Stob Coire Sgreamhach with the 3 Students and show them how to descend into the Hidden Valley.

Our eventual descent route, bottom left. Very steep :shock:

We all reached the summit of ScS without issue. We sat and had something to eat, the students sharing their tasty lime Doritos with me :D We then headed back down to the Bealach.

I would go first down the steep ascent, the first 10 - 15m is basically vertical. Thankfully there were good step already placed in the snow, however I'd be going down backwards/facing the wall of snow. Once I got down about 30m I gave the go ahead for the students to descend, which they did without issue.

And now it was time for some serious sliding, and the students practisicng ice axe self arrests :D

Once lower down, and nearing the hidden valley, I pushed on and left the 3 students to wander out at their own pace knowing that they were safe.

Once in the Hidden Valley I looked back to our descent route.

Once out of the Valley I met two lads from Barrhead and walked out with them to the car park, had some good banter with them :)

This was an absolutely belter of a day for doing these mountains, one to live long in the memory. It doesn't get much better 8) . Reminded me of a similar day 4 years ago doing CMD Arete & Ben Nevis in similar conditions, so I'm hoping to revist that one on a good day :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: A Winters Tale - Bidean Nam Bian & 3 Students!!

Postby kev_russ » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:47 pm

Braw 8)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Collaciotach » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:40 pm

Glè mhath :)
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby rockhopper » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:26 am

Excellent result dooters :thumbup: Really must try to get back here some time. Weather turned out nicer here in the west than over in the east after all :roll: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:51 am

Beautiful. A hill I must repeat in winter sometime.

I can't believe how many good reports there are at the moment, in my heart I know it will all change before I make it up there in a couple of weeks time for the annual trip!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby dav2930 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:34 pm

Not that I'm at all envious, but why couldn't it have been like that when I was up there? :mrgreen: :lol:
Magic :clap: 8)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland