walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

In search of Threefooted Brandreth

In search of Threefooted Brandreth

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:40 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Armboth Fell, Bleaberry Fell, High Seat, High Tove, Walla Crag

Date walked: 06/01/2018

Time taken: 5.5

Distance: 17.7 km

Ascent: 850m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A three and a half month exile from the Lakes can seem like forever so it was great to head across the 'oh so familiar' A66 on a gorgeous winters morning. With the threat of ice on the roads I'd not driven over too early and picked a parking spot close to main routes to minimise the risk of putting my car in a ditch, so with this in mind me and my faithful mut, Hughie pulled into the Great wood car park just outside of Keswick. For those who were not members of the National Trust it was a freebie as the over night frost had done for the ticket machine which was as unresponsive as a teenager when you ask them to tidy their room. Suited and booted Hughie and I set off for some shock therapy on the steep path up by Cat Gill. This can often be made a bit tricky by ice as it was the last time we'd made it up here but this time ice was at a minimum with nothing of note until after the views had started to open up across Derwent Water.

Soon enough we reached the top of the Gill and broke out into a crisp winters light for the easy walk up Lady's Rake. It was a truly glorious morning to be out, the views were superb in every direction with the stupendous panorama over Derwent water from the top of Walla Crag taking top billing, I lingered for a while taking it all in, tracing the ridges, recalling walking up the ones I'd previously visited and wondering about the few I hadn't.

ImageOut of Great Wood by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageOn the way up Lady's Rake by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageThe Scafells and Gable looking wonderful by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGrisdale Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Almost at the summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageMorning Light by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSkiddaw and Keswick by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageEndless Possibilities by Anthony Young, on Flickr (click for bigger version)

ImageHughie on Walla Crag Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Eventually I dragged Hughie and myself away and set off across the largely frozen ground towards Bleaberry Fell. Much of this is on a well built path making progress easy with the amazing views back to Dewent Water, now complete with a fine reflection of Cat Bells, being the biggest impediment to progress. Onwards we plodded however and topped out on Bleaberry's large summit to take in yet more fine views. We didn't linger long and headed off onto new ground in the form of the broad ridge to High Seat.

ImageShadow Selfie looking back to Walla Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBlencathra from the Large Sheep Fold by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageOn the way up Bleaberry Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageFellside by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCairn and Blencathra by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSublime View by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageDodd Crag leads the way to Blencathra by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageDewent Water and Bassenthwaite by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAlmost at Bleaberry Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCapturing the Glory by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBleaberry Fell Summit Shelter by Anthony Young, on Flickr

There are several confusing place names in the Lakes but perhaps Three footed brandreth inscribed just to the north of High Seat on the 1:25,000 map takes the top honours. A three footed brandreth is a tripod used for cooking over an open fire and also gives it's name to the fell named Brandreth close to Buttermere. In this case the vaguely three ridged fell fits the bill physically but also in the case of it possibly being used as a beacon in the past which is another suggested source of the name. In the case of this place the reasoning is hard to figure out, this is a very broad boggy ill defined ridge full of lumps and as such in no way a sutable location for a beacon, surely that would be atop High Seat a very short distance to the South. So what on earth is it? I kept my eyes peeled as I crossed the ridge labelled with this odd title and saw very little in the way three footed things, I did see a craggy lump with three protuberances but remained unconvinced as I ascended the final pull up to High Seat.

ImageGround well Frozen by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageOn the way to High Seat by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageWhere is it? by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageThree Footed Brandreth? by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageRocks by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageUp there Dad? by Anthony Young, on Flickr

High Seat summit is a very fine place despite all the boggy ground surrounding it and we sat and had lunch pondering what to do next. The sensible thing, considering my lack of fitness and still niggling injury, was to take the obvious path down to Ashness Bridge and make it a nice easy short day. Perhaps it was the sunshine and the glory of the views but I simply didn't want to head down yet so my thoughts turned to the two less than stella fells to the South. Given that I've decided to crack on with a second round the chance to get rid of High Tove and Armboth here and now was just too tempting. The ground had been well frozen so far but there had been a few indications that a slight thaw was underway. I set off for what is probably the worst mile in the Lake District with a little trepidation.

ImageHigh Seat Trig Point by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageView to the South West by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Is it lunch time yet Dad? by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHigh Seat Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking up Borrowdale by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Before I even got to the fence I encountered some very wet unfrozen ground, Thoughts of turning back crossed my mind but I ignored them and crunched/splodged off down the fellside. The next mile to High Tove became a game of frozen ground roulette, with several collapses under my weight damaging my confidence in the terrain. The thought of going through ice up to my waist was not a possibility I was willing to contemplate :shock: so progress slowed as I picked my way around the worst. A frustrating amount of time later we trudged rather dispiritedly up to High Tove.

ImageA bad Place by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageStuck in the middle with you by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageEddy Garve Stake apparently by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGable from High Tove by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHelvellyn from High Tove by Anthony Young, on Flickr

The last time I was on High Tove there was a good covering of snow but this time the trod to Armboth was clearly visible so off we trundled over the half frozen ground which was somewhat like plodding through wet snow. This wasn't much of a problem going down hill and soon enough we reached Armboth's summit rocks. I was feeling tired at this point but other than Helvellyn looking quite fetching in winter garb there is not a lot to see so I plodded over to AW's clearly lower top before setting off back to High Tove. This isn't exactly a tough walk but the going over the defrosting terrain was poor so by the time I pulled myself to High Tove I felt well beat. I'm not sure if others count ascending a fell twice in a walk as two ascents or one? If so this was possibly the fourth time I'd bagged High Tove, I may not be back :wink:

Armboth Fell High Point by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHigh Seat from Armboth Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageWainwright's Summit on Armboth Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Even though I was knackered, down hill seemed more attractive than allowing my aching legs to cool down and tighten up so down we went to Watendlath. I somehow stayed on my feet on the steeper drop down to the hamlet, feeling mocked by Hughie's surefootedness as I slipped and slithered on the ice patches. I had considered the footpath on the west side of the beck but as it was an unknown I thought it prudent to just stick to the road all the way, as its not as if the scenery is much different.

ImageGable from the way down by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageOn the way Down to Watendlath by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHow Green is my Valley by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageWatendlath by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageReecastle Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAn Unsurprising View by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAfternoon Light by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageThwaite House by Anthony Young, on Flickr

It was a largely uneventful walk down the road delayed by waiting for Ashness bridge to clear of cars, tourists and walkers so I could take a photo. The easy going on the road had been quite threaputic to the old limbs and in all honesty I felt a lot better once I got back to the car. It had been great to be back in Lakeland and bagging fells once again, I have decided to attempt to get here at least a dozen times this year to push on with round two which stood at 72 following this outing.

Ashness Bridge by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Derwent Mono by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Central Fells.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by johnkaysleftleg on Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: In search of Threefooted Brandreth

Postby onsen » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:19 pm

Crisp & clear...that goes for pics too. :thumbup:
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby onsen » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:20 pm

Crisp & clear...that goes for the pics too. :thumbup:
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby davekermito » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:37 pm

Super pictures as ever!
davekermito
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:210
Wainwrights:79   

Postby nigheandonn » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:00 pm

There looks to be a *lot* less snow than when I was in the southern foothills two weeks ago! I do like the bare brown winter hills.

DSC03972.JPG

Whether I do a second round or not, I am never walking between High Tove and High Seat again :)
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:41 am

onsen wrote:Crisp & clear...that goes for pics too. :thumbup:

Many Thanks

davekermito wrote:Super pictures as ever!

Cheers Dave

nigheandonn wrote:There looks to be a *lot* less snow than when I was in the southern foothills two weeks ago! I do like the bare brown winter hills.

This was at the start of January, was over there on Sunday and the high fells have a good covering starting at around 500 meters.

nigheandonn wrote:Whether I do a second round or not, I am never walking between High Tove and High Seat again :)

I've now done it three times so I think I'm certainly done with it now :D
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby nigheandonn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:45 am

Ahh, I obviously didn't check the date. Yes, until more or less the day I went I was expecting conditions like that, then got a horrible mix of cloud and something halfway between snow and rain!
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby Broggy1 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:54 am

The usual awesome photographs and a good winter route. :clap:
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Postby malky_c » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:00 pm

What a day! Regardless of some of the boggy trogging about, there are some lovely sharp photos in there 8) .
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:30 am

malky_c wrote:What a day! Regardless of some of the boggy trogging about, there are some lovely sharp photos in there 8) .

Can't add anything to that really - the usual fantastic pics, pin sharp as malky says. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby trailmasher » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:25 pm

Once again nicely done JK :clap: great photos as usual with the good fortune of some superb lighting conditions 8) It would probably have to get to minus 40 degrees before it was fit to walk without getting wet feet on the ridge :lol: :lol:
The path on the west side is a good alternative to the road as it's in good condition and takes away the grind on tarmac :wink:
Well done on another great winter walk :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:31 pm

Broggy1 wrote:The usual awesome photographs and a good winter route. :clap:

Cheers Broggy

malky_c wrote:What a day! Regardless of some of the boggy trogging about, there are some lovely sharp photos in there 8) .

Thanks Malky, it was just about a perfect day to be out.

Alteknacker wrote:Can't add anything to that really - the usual fantastic pics, pin sharp as malky says. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you once again for your kind words Alte

trailmasher wrote:Once again nicely done JK :clap: great photos as usual with the good fortune of some superb lighting conditions 8) It would probably have to get to minus 40 degrees before it was fit to walk without getting wet feet on the ridge :lol: :lol:
The path on the west side is a good alternative to the road as it's in good condition and takes away the grind on tarmac :wink:
Well done on another great winter walk :clap:
[/quote]

Cheers TM, most kind. As I said previously I think I'm done with the Pewits or what ever that rotten place is called :)
Thanks for the info on the path down from Watendlath, I did look across and see some folks happily ambling along and think I may have made the wrong call.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland