walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Alreet

Alreet

Postby kev_russ » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:39 am

Hi folks, id just like to say hiya and what a cracking website this is. Came across it by accident whilst looking for info on a couple of corbetts. Planning on cycling from Pitlochry to Edinburgh via the NCN for a few days next week so hoping to get up Ben Vrackie and Ben Ledi.

I stay just outside edinburgh and i love the great outdoors so this site is perfect for alot of info. It led me to my first graham as i took i cheeky wee cycle from Musselburgh down to the Moorfoot hills and up Blackhope Scar.
Also planning a trip to the isle of skye with the girlfriend for the weekend in late may so hoping to get up the old man of storr. Just wondering if the walk/climb to the summit is technically difficult? Planning on dragging her up there.

Maybe see you all out and about. Cheers, Kev :)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Alreet

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:16 pm

Hi Kevin and welcome!

the old man of storr...Just wondering if the walk/climb to the summit is technically difficult?

The walk up The Storr, a Graham which towers above the Old Man of Storr, is not technically difficult (though there is a slight scramble up as you head round into the corrie, as mentioned on the site). The ascent of the Old Man itself is definitely technically difficult - it's a rock pinnacle, a severe or very severe rock-climb which is made much harder due to the fact that the rock is extremely loose.... the pioneer climbers here said it was like trying to climb up porridge. :lol:

Hope you have a good bike next week.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby cjwaugh » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:34 pm

Hi and welcome to the site Kevin :)
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby Michelle » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:16 pm

The walk up the Storr was very straightforward for me as a newbie to the hills a few years back. The path up is excellent, though a bit wet the few times I was there. One time the mist so tightly hugged the top that the rock seemed to emerge slowly out of the white as I approached them; it made for a surreal, otherworldly experience.

I agree, this site is the best of its kind that I've stumbled across in my internet wanderings, and I owe thanks for some truly great days out to the information I've found here! :D
Michelle
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:9
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:14

Postby kev_russ » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:02 am

Cheers for the info and the warm welcome! :)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby 37lumleyst » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:25 am

Hi there – glad you decided to join. I did the same a week ago and love the site – its packed with info and top tips!!

Just had a look at your Munro map and see you’ve done Ben Alder too – when did you go up? I did this one back in 1993 after working a season in an outdoor centre on the Tay. Myself and a couple of the other instructors spent a grand total of 4 days in Ben Alder Bothy – we loved it, being in the highlands with no guests to teach was a refreshing way to end the season!! We managed to get Ben Alder, Meall a Bhealaich, Sgor Choinnich and Sgor Gaibhre done over the time we spent there. We also had a long walk which turned into a trudge down the back of Ben Alder to loch Pattack and then all the way back to the bothy using the forest track on the side of Loch Ericht!! That felt like a long day I can tell you, not even shure why we did it as it didn’t take in any of the tops – the things you do when your young and daft!!
:lol:
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

Postby druidsam » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:31 pm

hello kevin.welcome to the forum, theres tons of good walks on skye and most of them are listed right here :)

.....................Sam
druidsam

Munros:87   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:2

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...