walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Taking a gamble on Gulabin

Taking a gamble on Gulabin

Postby Graeme D » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:51 pm

Route description: Ben Gulabin, Glen Shee

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Gulabin

Date walked: 15/07/2010

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 435m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another foul July morning with rain bouncing off the road outside. Yesterday had been even worse weather and I'd spent the day holed up doing housework and booking a cottage for a week in the Yorkshire Dales later in the month. I really wanted to get back out into the hills today, but Gail McGrane's dire predictions had once again come true. I'd had several coffees already by the time I made another one and settled down with it and a chocolate biscuit to watch the Open on BBC2. I could tell it wasn't going to work. I lasted about 10 minutes before looking out the window and observing that the rain was off and the sky was looking a lot brighter. I wasn't at all sure about the wisdom of my actions, but I quickly packed various items of waterproof clothing, a bottle of water, a map and compass and a few more chocolate biscuits into my little Vango daypack before quickly scoffing the leftover Boston Bean Casserole from last night and hitting the road.

I headed out of Perth on the Blairgowrie road, still unsure about what the weather was gong to do, heading either for the Corbett Ben Gulabin or either (or even both) of the Grahams between Glen Shee and Glen Isla - Mount Blair and Mealna Letter a.k.a. Duchray Hill. I wasn't sure about doing Mount Blair on a fairly dull, dreich day like today, and even although things were looking more promising as I approached Bridge of Cally, I decided to head up to the Spittal of Glenshee and tackle Ben Gulabin.

I parked by the gate at the start of the track and was walking by 11.15, making steady progress up the excellent track towards the bealach between Ben Gulabin and Creagan Beithe. There was a very light drizzle hanging in the air but it was making no impact on my clothing at all and really didn't merit putting the waterproofs on. Mercifully there were no midgies in evidence.

Just pass the remains of some old ski infrastructure on Creagan Beithe, ATV track mentioned on the SMC Corbett book runs off to the left like a deep scar up the heathery slopes of Ben Gulabin. As I climb, the views north gradually open up to the Munros of Carn a' Gheoidh and The Cairnwell, and it is no time at all until we top out at the little cairn, neatly topped off with a large wooden stick. It has only taken 50 minutes to reach the summit.

Rather than simply retrace my steps, I decide to head south east along the summit plateau which veers round to the right as it approaches the large cairn and wind shelter at the eastern top, from where I drop almost due east down short heathery slopes to the south of the crags of Carn Dubh to emerge onto the track a couple of hundred yards from the car.

Total time taken - 1 hour 45 minutes. In the end it was a good call to go and do this walk. I had light waterproofs on for the descent, but really didn't need them on.

Monty, dunno whether you've done this one or not, but if not, next time you're heading up to the Gorms and you've got a spare 10 minutes to kill, this one's worth a run up and back down! :lol:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMG_4181.jpg
Start of the walk

IMG_4184.jpg
North to the Devil's Elbow

IMG_4185.jpg
Easy going on the good track

IMG_4186.jpg
Scar-like path up onto Gulabin

IMG_4189.jpg
Carn a' Gheoidh and The Cairnwell over Creagan Beithe

IMG_4197.jpg
South east from the summit - Mount Blair in the distance

IMG_4201.jpg
Summit of Gulabin - Carn a' Gheoidh in the background

IMG_4205.jpg
Looking north from the summit towards The Cairnwell

IMG_4207.jpg
Looking to the eastern top, Spittal of Glenshee below

IMG_4210.jpg
Sprawling shelter cairn at eastern top

IMG_4212.jpg
View to the north

IMG_4213.jpg
Looking back along the ridge to the summit

IMG_4218.jpg
Ben Gulabin from the A93 road
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Taking a gamble on Gulabin

Postby Penguin » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:06 pm

Worth a gamble and it paided off. At least the weather held for you. I chose not to gamble this week, and getting cabin fever as a result!

Looks like a good walk though and an opportunity to stretch the legs. Worth bearing in mind next time I'm passing.

Penguin
8)
Penguin
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:32   

Postby malky_c » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:25 pm

Well, at least you got a view from here! I did this on a right miserable morning when I was living in Dundee. Still, you're right about the length. As I had left dead early, I was able to get home in time for an hour's nap before my 11 o clock lecture!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby monty » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:31 pm

Hi Graeme,
Your brave heading off in these conditions, Looks like it turned out ok though :D

Interesting little Corbett. I cycled past it up Glen Taintneach when I walked Beinn Iutharn Mhor, Carn an Righ and Glas Tulaichean. I had an idea of climbing this hill on the way out but it had been a scorching day and it was a 35km trip, (14km on bike), so by the time I got back to it I was knackered. :D

Good news is its just off the spittal of Glenshee and looks a nice little walk on its own as you have described so it will be done. :D
monty

Postby Gable Gable End » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:34 pm

i like this and Mount Blair a lot, both are a quick jaunt from Dundee, up and down in good time and both have good views

glenshee in summer does get a lot of stick because of the ski related infrastructure, but I genuinely think that the non=ski/munro territory and THAT drive are outstanding
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby mountain coward » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:49 am

When I do it, I'll definitely be sticking to your ascent route for the descent as well - I always thought the other sides looked fearsomely steep for a coward! :lol:
mountain coward

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland