walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lochnagar

Lochnagar

Postby guitarshane » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:17 pm

Route description: Lochnagar circuit, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Lochnagar

Date walked: 11/07/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 19 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Only my 2nd Munro, again my brother Darren joined me and we were accompanied by my good friend Dave. Severe threat of rain as we set off, couldnt see the peaks of any of the hills round about through the clouds. Had to cross the burn which was well up, we seen people wading across but we went slightly further up stream and jumped over the stepping stones. a couple hundered feet up the first ascent and the rain came on, it cleared as we went past the memorial. As we approached loch nagar itself the clouds had started parting and we had some amzing views of the surrounding hills. Stopped by the loch for a seat and something to eat and then began the scramble up to the path over the top of the loch. It was here that the rain came on heavy and the wind was driving it into our faces as we marched toward the final ascent toward the summit. It stopped raining as we arrived at the peak but we couldnt see a thing from the top. We took the other path down which took us along side loch muick. We were dry in no time once we were out of the clouds. Some great scenic views overlooking the loch.

Last edited by guitarshane on Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
guitarshane
Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:72
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:7
Islands:2

Re: Lochnagar

Postby skuk007 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:33 pm

Well done shane on your second Munro. Don't let the rain put you off, sometimes the sun comes out in the Scottish hills. :lol:
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Re: Lochnagar

Postby guitarshane » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:17 pm

thanks, i'll try and get some photos up
guitarshane
Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:72
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:7
Islands:2

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland