walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Moel Llyfnant and Gallt y Daren

Moel Llyfnant and Gallt y Daren

Postby davekermito » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:46 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Gallt y Daren, Moel Llyfnant

Date walked: 17/02/2018

Time taken: 3

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 503m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On the quest to complete all the Hewitts in North Wales, today was one of those days where needs must and a couple of the less glamorous 'peaks' had to be tackled. Using a modified version of Greenman's route from this very site, I decided I would attack the the lesser Arenigs to the west of Arenig Fawr from the Bala to Trawsfynydd minor road.

6 miles of single track road, with more gates than passing places :lol: Early morning fine, later in the day, nightmare. Spent more time reversing than going forward! If anyone wants to follow this route, I would suggest parking at the start of the forestry track (noted on the map as Pen y Feidiog) - nice bit of hardstanding which comes at a premium.

MyL_GyD_2.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

There's not a huge amount to say about the walk, it's pathless, it's very wet and there are large expanses of bogs to negotiate. But both hills sit nicely amongst great views, Arans, Cadair Idris, Rhinogs, Berwyns, Arenigs all present, although low cloud precluded views to the higher hills to the North. The route up Llyfnant isn't long but it's steep and did require a couple of tactical 'view appreciation' stops. And Gallt y Daren, well, it's another one ticked off!

Probably ones I won't go up again! But for a day of pleasant solitude off the beaten track it wasn't as bad as I was expecting!

Rhobell Fawr and Dduallt; and lots of bogs!

Looking up to Arenig Fawr on the climb up Moel Llyfnant

Windswept Jake on Gallt y Daren
davekermito
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:210
Wainwrights:79   

Re: Moel Llyfnant and Gallt y Daren

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:53 am

A couple of nice pics there, Dave. I know they're not very highly rated by walking folk, but I quite enjoyed doing these two last year :D . But you sure are right about the extent of bog!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby mattcymru » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:01 pm

Did you miss the very close by Nuttall of Foel Boeth? if so you might have to go back :wink:
mattcymru
Bird-watcher

Hewitts:6

Postby davekermito » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:06 pm

mattcymru wrote:Did you miss the very close by Nuttall of Foel Boeth? if so you might have to go back :wink:

I'm proud to say that I managed the 20 odd foot of reclimb to the majestic top of Foel Boeth! The Nuttalls classification does make me chuckle... :lol:
davekermito
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:210
Wainwrights:79   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland