walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A stolen moment on Sgurr an Airgid

A stolen moment on Sgurr an Airgid

Postby malky_c » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:58 pm

Route description: Sgùrr an Airgid

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr an Airgid

Date walked: 07/03/2007

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 840m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Have posted this elsewhere, but I'll put it here too, as I like to keep everything in my walks diary on this site. It is a couple of years old though - don't be alarmed by the sudden appearence of snow in Kintail!

On the way back from a meeting in Balmacara, and there was a couple of hours daylight left. Luckily this coincided with some of the better weather at the time.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Beinn Fhada from the cemetery:

Parked up next to the cemetery just off the A87 and decided for a direct line of attack, for the ascent at least. Through a gate, and it was straight up! Climbed a low fence a couple of hundred meters up the hill, then onto a steeper section. A few broken crags near the summit, but I was able to weave around these.

Loch Duich causeway and Sgurr na Moraich:

The Saddle:

Beinn Fhada and Gleann Lichd:

Five Sisters (well some of them...):

Views were spectacular. Lots of atmospheric cloud around, with the 5 Sisters looking positively menacing. There was a small amount of snow around, but no need for axe or crampons.

Skye and the Inner Sound from the summit:

N from the summit:

The route down was the E ridge. This was quite narrow, but had a path. Obviously the normal way up. Picked up the stalker's path at the col, then cut a corner back to the cemetery, arriving at the car in the last light.

NW face of Sgurr an Airgid:

Beinn Fhada again:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: A stolen moment on Sgurr an Airgid

Postby fedupofuserids » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:02 pm

Love the pics as the sun starts to fade !

Used to stay at the old Forestry Commission campsite when I was kid - great area.
fedupofuserids

Postby Graeme D » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:35 pm

What a way to spend a couple of hours after a meeting! We could do with some of this March weather now in July! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby mountain coward » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:53 am

Great pics there - especially those of Beinn Fhada... I still think the 5 Sisters are positively menacing!! :o The normal route up and down the East Ridge are going to be my choices for that one I think...
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland