walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beauty and the Beast.

Beauty and the Beast.

Postby scottycyoung » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:20 am

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 21/02/2018

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Ascent: 990m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Lomond...... natural beauty all around and a slightly deceptive Munro. What started as quite an easy ascent started to feel like the dreaded "I don't seem to be getting anywhere" after the summit came into view! About 2/3 of the way up the path became engulfed by some deep and hard going snow so walking on the boggy grass next to it was slowing progress slightly. Regardless I pushed on stopping only to enjoy the stunning views behind me looking back down onto Loch Lomond and beyond. The final ascent onto the main peak ridges were a mixture of deep snow and icy patches and were particularly frustrating knowing the summit was so close but push on i did. The path started to disappear slightly but a couple who climb this regularly pointed me in the right direction and finally I hit the trig point. Luckily I was alone at the top which only enforces the feeling of being so far away from normal city life, with no wind and complete silence as I looked 360 degrees around me I remember why all the hard metres climbed are always worth it.... Complete bliss!!! Ben Lomond... thank you
scottycyoung
Hill Bagger

Munros:29   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland