walkhighlands

How to... guides to Walkhighlands

Download whole GPS route

Download whole GPS route

Postby Animalbeats » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:25 pm

Hi

Where is it possible to download the whole route as one file?

Thanks

Gordon
Animalbeats

Re: Download whole GPS route

Postby crfishwick » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:56 pm

Animalbeats wrote:Hi

Where is it possible to download the whole route as one file?

Thanks

Gordon

Rather confusing. :wink: Which route? Format? etc etc. May help. :roll:
crfishwick

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:24 am

Hi Gordon

If you mean all the stages of a long distance route like the West Highland Way - you need to download each stage individually from the page for that stage.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby crfishwick » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:33 am

Paul Webster wrote:Hi Gordon

If you mean all the stages of a long distance route like the West Highland Way - you need to download each stage individually from the page for that stage.

AH! Got it. :clap:
crfishwick

Postby Animalbeats » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:29 am

Really like this site and don’t want to appear ungrateful, but would it not be a good site improvement to have the downloading of a whole route as an option?

I’m using Memory Map on am iPhone so it will require a lot of poking around.
Animalbeats

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:05 am

I understand your point of view, you'd prefer to just download a single file and are not so bothered about visiting the stage descriptions and other info on the route.

However, we were contacted by officers from Police Scotland last year, asking us to change the site to try to make users read the safety information provided in each route and stage we feature, as Police MR teams have concerns that it has become too easy to download GPX files from the internet (not specifically Walkhighlands) as their only research, and failing to get other necessary supporting information about routes.

We've added in extra steps to downloading GPX files at their advice, and after I had discussions with one of their officers I don't think we could make a change in the opposite direction. I do realise it's less convenient for you but when using our GPX files you have to go to the relevant pages to get them rather than a bulk download.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:49 am

Paul Webster wrote:I understand your point of view, you'd prefer to just download a single file and are not so bothered about visiting the stage descriptions and other info on the route.

However, we were contacted by officers from Police Scotland last year, asking us to change the site to try to make users read the safety information provided in each route and stage we feature, as Police MR teams have concerns that it has become too easy to download GPX files from the internet (not specifically Walkhighlands) as their only research, and failing to get other necessary supporting information about routes.

We've added in extra steps to downloading GPX files at their advice, and after I had discussions with one of their officers I don't think we could make a change in the opposite direction. I do realise it's less convenient for you but when using our GPX files you have to go to the relevant pages to get them rather than a bulk download.

Very interesting, and makes a lot of sense. Its also good to know that the police/MR are being proactive in trying to address a potentially growing problem. Even with my only occasional trips to the highlands, I have noticed when chatting in hostels or pubs to folk, a definite increase in folk who simply download a route and drive to the start point without much further thought. They may well carry a paper map as well, but I do sometimes get the impression that they've never looked at it!

I'm sure most people who are intending on doing a long distance route would be doing lots of research and spending time reading everything they can find, so I doubt that having to download stages separately is much of an additional burden. Though I am a luddite, and have never used a GPX file in my life...
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby crfishwick » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:29 pm

Animalbeats wrote:Really like this site and don’t want to appear ungrateful, but would it not be a good site improvement to have the downloading of a whole route as an option?

I’m using Memory Map on am iPhone so it will require a lot of poking around.

The stages are easily put onto memory map. Just stick them into the Memory Map download folder. Go to the said folder and open them they are then automatically saved to MM on the phone.

Plus when you download them you can open them on a PC in memory map. Depending on how many different route stages there are. Then save the lot as one GPX file under a unique name. Job done. HTH
crfishwick

Postby happyjock » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:48 pm

I am having trouble downloading the last 3 sections of the East Highland Way to Garmin Base Camp because of this message "GPS is not a valid GPX file and could not be opened", any help would be grateful thanks in advance.
happyjock

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:08 pm

I've looked through but can't see any difference between the files, so this may be a bug in BaseCamp.

The files should open in other mapping applications or by dragging direct to your GPS (including Garmin). Alternatively you could try something like EasyGPS - a free download.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Help - how to use Walkhighlands