walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bongo takes the road to Bynack More.

Bongo takes the road to Bynack More.

Postby JimboJim » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:29 pm

Route description: Bynack More from Glenmore

Munros included on this walk: Bynack More

Date walked: 21/02/2018

Time taken: 5.9 hours

Distance: 23.75 km

Ascent: 870m

21 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Time for another outing. Been keen to try out our new/first ever :lol: :lol: campervan, a Mazda Bongo, which is only 25 years young and boy does it show! Anyway, one reason I got it was for trips to the hills, so I wanted to see how I would get on. Forecast was looking good for the Cairngorm area and Bynack More seemed a reasonably safe option to consider, so off we went to Aviemore.
DSCN2396_1280_892_1024_714.JPG
Icy Loch Morlich, looking beautiful as ever.
DSCN2395_1280_850_1024_680.JPG
The ski slopes of Cairn Gorm.

The Bongo handled the trip well, tootling up the A9, at 60, no bother. Took about five hours, with various stops along the way. Visited the Old Bridge Inn, who were happy to allow me to park up overnight. Went and checked start point and proceeded up to the main car park for a wee nosey. Plenty of ski set around!
DSCN2394_1280_859_1024_687.JPG
Toward Cairn Lochan.
DSCN2389_1280_960_1024_768.JPG
A tree :)

Enjoyed my evening in Aviemore with a meal, pricy, at the OBI, followed by some footie and good quiz at the Cairngorms Hotel. Never won, but didn’t do bad for a one man team :) The Bongo was cold, with sub zero temps, but I felt snug enough in my two sleeping bags, except my big lugs. Next time wear hat!
DSCN2305_1280_803_1024_642.JPG
Cnap Coire na Spreidhe, with Cairn Gorm beyond.

Got up around 7, had some grub then made for the Allt Mor car park, which was quite slippy with hardened snow/ice. Afraid to confess I never paid my £2 – the machine wouldn’t take my coins. In fact, at first the plastic cover was frozen stiff, over the coin slot :o Got on my new boots, which were also getting their first major outing, having taken several months of faffing about, back and forward to Tiso, to finally get one’s I felt comfy with, which could take a crampon.
DSCN2306_1024_663.JPG
Macdui in the distance with Carn Etchachan, Stob Coire Sputan Dearg, among others.

Set off at 8, thinking nothing could be easier, having plenty maps, route notes and well made path to follow, but as usual still managed to get lost a little, with all the various bridge’s and other paths which criss-cross :lol: Too much haste, not enough speed, along the track, which had a lot of ice and compacted snow. Managed to go in over my boots at the ford. Noticed bridge upstream after crossing, doh!
DSCN2307_1280_814_1024_651.JPG
The equally impressive tors of Beinn Mheadhoin.

Fortunately the gaiters kept my feet dry. Dithered about here, back and forward, before realising now was not the time to make the right turn, but carry on to join path from Glenmore Lodge. From here route was no’ bother. Soon arrived at An Lochan Uaine. Beautiful! I saw a comment about folk using filters on their photo’s here, but it is as green as it looks.
Shortly after, met a guy heading opposite way. Turns out he had camped on Bynack More for the sunset. Keen!
DSCN2282_1280_960_1024_768.JPG
A peaceful An Lochan Uaine, half past breakfast time.
DSCN2387_1280_960_1024_768.JPG
An Lochan Uaine, on way back.
DSCN2388_1280_960_1024_768.JPG
An Lochan Uaine. A bonny spot.

Gradually worked my way round to the invisible “Bynack Stable,” where I had a wee stop for food and fluids. Once over the Nethy, the snow gradually got deeper and more extensive, but fortunately the climb is not too steep, or arduous. The fine, pyramidal shape of Bynack More gradually begins to emerge, seated on the flat plateau, like a hill, on top of a hill, while the impressive ridge of Sron a’ Cha-no, toward Cairn Gorm, also catches the eye.
DSCN2293_1280_960_1024_768.JPG
Looking back along the track to Meall a'Buachaille.

There’s a few paths up here and I gradually found myself drifting a bit to the east of BM, but it was no trouble to cut across the ground, heading for the obvious ridge down/up the mountain. At the foot of the main climb, I deliberated whether to start off with just boots, use microspikes, or just go for the crampons straight away. Decided on Plan C, rather than have to put on crampons higher up. Although the snow was pretty crusty, I think I probably would have got away, with either of the other options, but think the crampons was the way to go.
DSCN2297_1280_825_1024_660.JPG
Bynack More.
DSCN2303_1280_960_1024_768.JPG
Bit icy first stretch.

The climb is quite steep at first, but gradually eases off. I meandered a bit from one side of the ridge to the other, as and when the gradient dictated, before making it to the summit, in three and a quarter hours. The views were good, but a bit hazier than hoped. It was great looking toward Cairn Gorm, Macdui, Beann Mheadhoin, Beinn a’ Chaorainn and the Lairig and Laoigh, but harder to pick out the other Cairngorm hills and views toward Moray. I had seen about possible option to take in Cairngorm, but decided a wee visit to the Barns of Bynack, would be sufficient extra to add on to my already weary legs. These tor’s are mighty impressive.
DSCN2304_1280_960_1024_768.JPG
Summit cairn, looking SW.
DSCN2319_1024_647.JPG
Yours truly. Bynack More, 1090m.
DSCN2329_1280_804_1024_643.JPG
Barns of Bynack, viewed from 'above.'

Back on the summit, I took a few more pics of the exact same views, then glided off, back down, though this time mainly kept on the east side of the boulders on the ridge. Must admit, I fair enjoyed bounding down through the snow :D Nearing the bottom, I spotted a group of three, heading in my direction, the only others I was to see on the hill. They arrived to put on their gear, just as I took mine off and enjoyed a well earned cup of coffee and some chow.
DSCN2372_1280_787_1024_630.JPG
Looking back to Bynack More and Beg.
DSCN2379_1280_795_1024_636.JPG
Spot the three about to head up?

DSCN2314_1024_234.JPG
Pano SW.
DSCN2335_1280_807_1024_646.JPG
The Lairig an Laoigh.
DSCN2339_1024_644.JPG
The hills to SW again.
DSCN2341_1280_924_1024_739.JPG
Cairn Gorm.

The return trip was pretty uneventful, aside from meeting a lot more folk, on the route to the Green Loch, which I just had to visit again. Being myself, with a fairly gentle descent and long journey home to come, I chose to keep up a good pace, a wee trot here and there and was back at the car in just under the six hours, well pleased with my day. The Bongo also, behaved itself on the way home and I hope it isn’t long till we do it again. :thumbup:
DSCN2343_1280_960_1024_768.JPG
Ready to head down.
DSCN2351_1280_960_1024_768.JPG
Out to Moray.
DSCN2354_1280_960_1024_768.JPG
Shadow pointing to track up/down.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Re: Bongo takes the road to Bynack More.

Postby ancancha » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:23 pm

A grand day out :)
Fabulous views and nice to be able to drive your house around with you on trips 8)
the green loch is particularly green isn't it :!:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby JimboJim » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:33 pm

ancancha wrote:A grand day out :)
Fabulous views and nice to be able to drive your house around with you on trips 8)
the green loch is particularly green isn't it :!:

Thank you, Ancancha. Yes, it is a nice part of the country. I saw someone, I think on fb, say people should not use filters when taking pics of the An Lochan Uaine, presumably to make it look greener than it is. I don't think anyone would need to.

I hope to do many more trips in the wee campervan if it passes its next MoT :lol: It is pretty rough, but will do me! Fingers crossed :)
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:03 am

My fav mountain in the Cairngorms :D Looks superb in white coat! I imagine there must be more snow up there now, after the eastern beast attacked us so violently. Fingers crossed it's all over now and the perfect weather returns...

We tried different routes up/down Bynack and the neighbouring Corbett Creag Mhor and every time I ended up scrambling all over the Barns. The best playground for adults I've ever been to :wink: Also on the final climb to the summit, there are some odd-shaped rocks, one looks like a giant turtle.

I don't think it's necessary to use any filters on Lochan Uaine - it's green enough as it is!
I heard somewhere that swimming in it it's not recommended as it is full of leaches... Never tried it myself so I don't know if it's true :lol: :lol:
Cheers, BP
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:07 pm

Great photos Jim and a cracking day. I've been up Bynack Mor a few times as it's quite close to me. I usually park at the end of the road at Glenmore which is a good option.
I quite like the Old Bridge but yes it is a bit pricey but not bad if they let you park up. Lots of decent options for food and drink in Aviemore though.
All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Kalamas » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:51 am

Fantastic report and wonderful pictures.

Just one missing - the faithful Bongo! :wink:
Kalamas
Mountaineer

Munros:50   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:3

21 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland