walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Snow on Ben Klibreck

Snow on Ben Klibreck

Postby Backpacker » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:49 pm

Has anyone any idea what the snow conditions are like currently on Ben Klibreck?

Thinking of heading up that way this weekend.
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: Snow on Ben Klibreck

Postby jmarkb » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:14 pm

General snow level seems to be around 450m in the north. I would expect that Klibreck caught more of the recent snow than Torridon http://torridonblog.sais.gov.uk/2018/03/good-old-met-office/ The ridges may well be quite scoured and icy. From an avalanche point of view, going over the top of Creag an Lochain would be safer than traversing the west side as per https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/sutherland/ben-klibreck.shtml
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Pastychomper » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:31 am

I don't know about Ben Klibreck but I've been keeping half an eye on Ben Hope and it was looking fully white on Tue/Wed - or rather what I could see of the top was, from a distance. According to the Met Office it was still getting fresh snow and wind from the east up until late Wednesday and stayed below freezing since then, though it has had more sun the last day or so.

Some of the hills around Caithness still have a light dusting left over from last week's icing fest, even below 200m, so I'd expect the nearby Munros to be covered.
Pastychomper
Wanderer

Munros:5   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:5

Postby Dimble » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:02 pm

WP_20180308_12_44_21_Pro (2).jpg

pic taken yesterday, sorry about the poor quality!
Dimble

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion