walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Long distance advice for a newbie

Long distance advice for a newbie

Postby Johnboy4183 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:07 am

At the end of April, my kickboxing club are doing the speyside way as a sponsored walk from Aviemore to Buckie (to finish at the club in Buckie) any advice for a long distance walk would be very welcome and anything more specific to speyside way would be great. Many thanks
Johnboy4183
Scrambler

Re: Long distance advice for a newbie

Postby Scottk » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:18 am

Bit more info would be good. How many of you? How long do you intend to take? Are you camping?

Make sure your footwear is broken in. Don't carry too much. The good thing about April is the long days and no midgies!

I'm hoping to do this one weekend in April if I can get the time. Have fun and good luck.

Cheers, Scott
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby Johnboy4183 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:52 am

Thanks for the reply!!
There is 11 of us. Doing Aviemore to Grantown on the Friday, Grantown to Aberlour on Saturday and Aberlour to Buckie on the Sunday. We have accommodation sorted. Just planning water and snacks with changes of clothes in the back pack. Will need to get walking to get the body prepped!!
Johnboy4183
Scrambler

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:31 am

As above, feet are the most likely thing that will hurt people. Good fitting walking shoes/boots will be essential, something fairly light will be more than adequate. The key thing is that the foot should not move in them, especially the heel rubbing up and down. Also, make sure there are no pressure points on the toes, especially the side of the little toe.
Also good socks, I suggest a new set for each day would be worth having. I like to use a thin liner sock under a thicker outer sock.

Fitness obviously needs to be as good as you can get it by then, train by walking, in the footwear you plan to use. You can add other training too, but walking can be slightly different than running/cycling/gym so concentrate on that if possible, though I know it can be hard to find time for long walks. Getting your body used to recovering quickly will be useful, that's where the other exercise can help lots.

Some folk, often those past their youth like myself, use trekking poles. I do find it helps me both with reduced impact on joints, and with a slight "push" forwards that reduces fatigue over the days. Normally I only use them on the hills, or when carrying a big pack, but I'd probably also use them for a longer trip like yours.

Make sure you get plenty of rests, carry and share snacks around, helps keep up morale if as the last person in a group reaches a rest stop, knackered, and is handed food and a drink.

Enjoy!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Scottk » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:55 pm

Sounds good. Long days but at least you won't be carrying much. I sometimes change into dry socks on long days if my feet are hot. Remember and take some tape and blisters plasters (compeed or similar) in case anyone gets blisters. Hopefully someone on the group will take a first aid kit. Painkillers can be useful too
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby Johnboy4183 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:47 pm

Great advice, thanks everyone. Training under way. Getting out for some hills and distance. Hopefully the rest of the group are as well. Looking forward to it. Hopefully we get the weather for it!!
Johnboy4183
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion