walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

ben vorlich -a bit of regret...

ben vorlich -a bit of regret...

Postby blueyed » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:06 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Date walked: 16/07/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 9 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

such a great walk it was!
we were quite lucky, the day was lovely -few clouds and sunshine :)
only two problems occured on this trip - parking problems and my boots. parking -when we arrived, it still was reasonably early, there were so many cars already that i had to use my imagination and find a 'creative parking solution'. yeah, THAT corsa :)
the path was well marked, pass the bridge and then left towards the mansion, pass it and then the ascent starts. actually you have to go straight forward all the time and that's it. right to the summit. views in front of me were just so-so but looking back to loch earn was breath-taking. we had to pass some snowy parts but still it was ok, even without use of poles. we got to the summit quite quick. originaly plan was to go further to stuc a'chroin, but then the other problem occured - my boots. well, after 3 years having them it still was quite a painfull experience for my feet and that was the reason why we never went to stuc a'chroin but just descented the same way we came. i really regret that, honestly. i would STRONGLY recommend doing the other munro together with ben vorlich.
the way back was less painfull and incredibly sunny :) how often you can actually lay in the grass and sunbathe? :)

more pictures here: http://around-scotland.blogspot.com/search/label/ben%20vorlich
Attachments
DSC_5471.jpg
blo**dy boots of!!!
DSC_5446.jpg
loch earn
DSC_5438.jpg
stuc a'chroin from ben vorlich
DSC_5434.jpg
the summit
DSC_5430.jpg
DSC_5423.jpg
DSC_5418_1.jpg
DSC_5393.jpg
DSC_5377.jpg
DSC_5375.jpg
creative parking solution
DSC_5459.jpg
Last edited by blueyed on Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Re: a bit of regret...

Postby HighlandSC » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:39 pm

Look at that blue sky!! Hard to believe that was today - didn't look like that here.

What actually happened to your boots?
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby fedupofuserids » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:44 pm

Great pics.

To be honest I think you are the only one to park sensibly !

Everyone else has selfishly parked taking up the spaces of several cars. A personal bugbear of mine :evil: :D
fedupofuserids

Postby LeithySuburbs » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:56 pm

Can't believe how much snow there is in these pics. Was it not blowing an absolute hoolie? - it was bad enough playing golf at sea level today. What was/is wrong with your boots?
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby mountain coward » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:57 pm

Yeah, I think it would have been better if everyone had reversed in... but I guess the first person thought they should park sideways on and the rest then thought that was the way to do it!
mountain coward

Postby blueyed » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:31 pm

guys, a little misunderstanding - it wasn't today :) gosh it was pouring rain today! :lol:
we did mr vorlich in mid april 8)
sometimes i really appreciate i have such a wee car, i am able to squeeze corsa almost everywhere, trouble is going up the hill, sometimes, i guess, it would be faster just walking, honestly. but i cant complain :) compact car -compact engine :)
yeah, there was plenty of snow but weather was more like summer, incredible sunshine :) i cant remember wind, so it was pretty ok i guess :)
boots, long story, but i guess i bought wrong size ;(

more pictures here- http://around-scotland.blogspot.com/search/label/ben%20vorlich
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:36 pm

Ah, it becomes clear. I've always been quite lucky with footwear so far [touches wood].
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby mountain coward » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:54 pm

blueyed wrote:guys, a little misunderstanding - it wasn't today :) gosh it was pouring rain today! :lol:
we did mr vorlich in mid april 8)
sometimes i really appreciate i have such a wee car, i am able to squeeze corsa almost everywhere, trouble is going up the hill, sometimes, i guess, it would be faster just walking, honestly. but i cant complain :) compact car -compact engine :)
yeah, there was plenty of snow but weather was more like summer, incredible sunshine :) i cant remember wind, so it was pretty ok i guess :)
boots, long story, but i guess i bought wrong size ;(

more pictures here- http://around-scotland.blogspot.com/search/label/ben%20vorlich

I have a Polo and find that is ace to park too - but although it's only a 1.2, I definitely don't find it underpowered. It's really low-geared and revs easily which I think helps - it always surprises me that it can overtake in 5th gear really well - never had a car that can do that before!
mountain coward

Postby skuk007 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:05 pm

mountain coward wrote:I have a Polo ... it always surprises me that it can overtake in 5th gear really well - never had a car that can do that before!

MIne's a C3 and doesn't like hills one bit. A 1.4 but feels like a 0.4 at times. Maybe it's the driver!

Great pics there though. Was a bit surprised at the amount of snow too until I read it had been done in April. Thought I'd missed a recent weather forecast there.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland