walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Suidhe an co

Beinn Suidhe an co

Postby Benaden887 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:20 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Suidhe, Meall Tairbh

Date walked: 25/03/2017

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 18.5 km

Ascent: 1035m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Suidhe and Meall Tairbh 25/3/17 18.5km 1035m 8.5hrs

I drive up to Victoria bridge cp. Bridge of Orchy. The sun is out - clear skies cold with a hint of spring - the hills still lathered with the white stuff. Little at ground level but plenty of snow melt gives for a boggy walk.
Having looked at routes others had taken I opt for the track thro the forest saving the need to cross the Shira river. From the cp a way winds W to a stepped gate, past the Druimliart monument of Gaelic poet Duncan Ban MacIntrye - then a barred gate. Enter the trees, the track bends back on itself - drops to a fence with gate then W to open hillside. Views of the Stob Gabhar group across the glen and Beinn Suidhe - my goal - lying between the glens of Strae and Kinglass. More forestry to where the path ends and cat tracks lead to the treeline edge sees Beinn Suidhe rocky NW face.
Cross the burn at a small island which once held homesteads then strike uphill to the craggy face. I take a line left up the side of the crag - a water course, it`s snow and ice - so slip slide my way to the top. Past a small top then over snow to the cairn of Suidhe for food and drink. Here I take stock. The views are stunning. The sun is warm - 14c says my digital wrist, midges are out and we could do with a breeze.
Meall Tairbh as the crow flies is 5km distant, a wee dogleg thro two outcrops should add 1.5km. I can`t really see my route as the bright sun is merging all the snow levels. OK. down a broad ridge for a snow hidden lochan. I come off SE too early but the snow banks on the E side are firm and deep so I stomp my way into the glen below. After a 300m drop - cross a wet basin, climb around Creag nan Taghan and down to gain the lower slopes of Meall an Laoigh. Now 17c and I`m toiling. Welcome to lochan county. Many water pools and hidden burns - it`s up and down over a snowfield - after sinking in a couple of deep holes and skirting two lochans, I eventually reach the heather slopes of Meall Tairbh. Follow a burn up hill to a stoney top an cairn and rest. Great views here of Loch Tulla and surrounding hills all done by a much younger me. Less snow here. Thoughts of adding Ben Inverveigh are quelled by cramp. The 5.2km to walk out is long and wet - I splash my way down toward the Allt Tolaghan water and cross - my feet are wet anyway - to reach the WHW - road and car.
So a good day. seen enroute, deer an deer, birds sheep and cattle, plenty folk , noone on my route. Clouds of midges, not yet biting.

A Cairn to Duncan stands on the site of his home while working for Breadalbane as a gamekeeper. Moving to Edinburgh he served in the city guard. Most famous for the poem “In praise of Beinn Dorian” among many others . He is buried in Greyfriars church yard.
The inscription on the cairn - read by many, understood by few, is in Gaelic.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Benaden887 on Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

Re: Beinn Suidhe an co

Postby Collaciotach » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:39 pm

Donnachadh Bàn nan Òran ........ Moladh Beinn Dobhráin abair bard :wink:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Re: Beinn Suidhe an co

Postby Benaden887 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:55 pm

Collaciotach wrote:Donnachadh Bàn nan Òran ........ Moladh Beinn Dobhráin abair bard :wink:

thks
Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland