walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carmarthen Fan from the North

Carmarthen Fan from the North

Postby Broggy1 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:50 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Bannau Sir Gaer - Picws Du, Fan Brycheiniog, Fan Hir, Garreg Las [Twyn Swnd], Garreg Lwyd (Moel Gornach)

Date walked: 26/03/2018

Time taken: 4

Distance: 22.25 km

Ascent: 1240m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I jumped at the chance to work in Carmarthen on Tuesday as it would allow me to visit the Brecon Beacons for the first time.

An early start and a long drive on Monday, followed by some brutally narrow roads saw me parked up at the road end by noon to approach these hills from the North - which I had been led to believe was much the best way of doing the bunch.

Heavy rain was expected by 5pm so I was keen to try and get these done before it arrived. For now though it was a nice day, clear with relatively light winds.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1 Enticing PIcws Du.JPG
Starting out on the Beacons Way with Picws Du in view. The route as far as Llyn y Fan Fach is obviously extremely popular and the hills themselves seemed to have good foot fall.

2 LLyn y Fan Fach.JPG
Llyn y Fan Fach

3 Picws Du.JPG
Picws Du is dominant on the approach

4 Fan Foel.JPG
Fan Foel

5 Heading for the ridge.JPG
My route headed left at the Llyn and then made for the ridge steeply between Picws Du and Fan Foel

6 Route to Fan Foel and Fan Brycheiniog.JPG
Route ahead to Fan Foel and Fan Brycheiniog

7 Back to Picws Du.JPG
Picws Du - I'll come back to this!

8 Route to FB from FF.JPG
Fan Brycheiniog from Fan Foel

9 summit ridge FB.JPG
There are two high points on either end of the summit ridge.

10 FB Trig.JPG
Fan Brycheiniog Trig Point

11 Fan Hir summit.JPG
The out and back to Fan Hir is easily achieved - the summit marked by just a few stones but again nice views and a spectacular position

12 Unexciting side.JPG
Looking back at the Carmarthen Fan - definitely the unexciting side from here

13 PD again.JPG
Picws Du - finally heading there now after walking round it to begin with. From here it looks very steep but with it all being grassy (similar to the Howgills) it's a bit misleading and not as steep as it looks.

14 PD looking at the ascent route.JPG
Summit of Picws Du looking down the ascent route

15 Llyn and BSG.JPG
Spectacular scenery ahead of Llyn y Fan Fach and Bannau Sir gaer

16 Back from Waun Lefrith.JPG
Looking back along the escarpment to Picws Du from Waun Lefrith

17 Out and back to FG.JPG
Looking over to the outlier Garreg Las.

It looked like it could be a bit wet in the depression but in reality wasn't too bad. It was also nice to see a load of Buzzards and Red Kite's in the area...obviously enjoying the solitude off the beaten track.

18 FG.JPG
The rocky summit of Garreg Las

19 Reascent.JPG
I had options from here of getting back to the car but had quickly decided that the best scenery was all in the Bannau Sir Gaer area so opted to head back up Waun Lefrith and descend back to Llyn y Fan Fach from there.

20 Stunning.JPG
And this proved to be the correct call. Stunning scenery.

21 Descent.JPG
Descending

22 Final road back.JPG
Final track back to the car

With no sign of the rain just yet I did the short drive round to quickly bag the last of the group - Garreg Lwyd - from the high road to the West. I could have added this to the initial walk but it would have needed a long and out and back and I'd surely have been caught in a downpour.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

23 Summit area.JPG
It's an easy wander to the summit area from here.

I got back to the car just in time as it started raining half an hour later and rained all the way until I arrived at my hotel.

A stunning afternoon on the hills.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Re: Carmarthen Fan from the North

Postby davekermito » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:00 pm

Not seen them from this angle before so thanks for the pictures!

Did a staggered traverse of these along with the Fforest Fawr and main Brecon Beacon a few years ago. Wonderfully quiet and a great place to stretch the legs across some super open country. Coldest walk I've ever been on!

Are the hurdles still in place > ?

davekermito
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:210
Wainwrights:79   

Postby dav2930 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:16 pm

Stunning scenery indeed; great photos. Looks a fascinating landscape and fine walking country. Would love to get down to the Brecon Beacons one of these days. :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Broggy1 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:48 pm

davekermito wrote:Not seen them from this angle before so thanks for the pictures!

Did a staggered traverse of these along with the Fforest Fawr and main Brecon Beacon a few years ago. Wonderfully quiet and a great place to stretch the legs across some super open country. Coldest walk I've ever been on!

Are the hurdles still in place > ?

Thanks.

No sign of the hurdles!

I was actually surprised how many people were up these hills on a Monday. It must have been Easter holidays down there and as a I say the lake seems a popular touristy spot (with good reason). There were also quite a few D of E's out and about.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Postby Broggy1 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:50 pm

dav2930 wrote:Stunning scenery indeed; great photos. Looks a fascinating landscape and fine walking country. Would love to get down to the Brecon Beacons one of these days. :)

Thanks.

Yeah, I was quite taken with the scenery on this one and in the area in general.

It was my first visit as well having deemed the beacons not worth it being an equal drive to the Southern Highlands for me.

Fair to say I was wrong. The Pen y Fan group obviously looks rather inviting as well!
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland