walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Old Leather ASOLO boots given up the ghost

Old Leather ASOLO boots given up the ghost

Postby PaulF » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:40 pm

So I guess after 32 years I shouldn't be surprised that they finally gave up the ghost as the sole and tread came apart on my fave Asolo full leather boots. Fitted like a glove, rarely if ever rubbed, didnt leak water and yes I could walk in them all day.... So what to buy next I like the look and feel of the newer style leather/fabric mix light weights but will they leak if you are walking thru thick snow or wading thru ankle deep rivers or mud....?

Does anybody have any tips or best buys they can advise me on please ? we have a very large Go outdoors shop just opened in Chesterfield and they have a good selection......

Any help greatly appreciate Paul
PaulF
Mountaineer

Re: Old Leather ASOLO boots given up the ghost

Postby hbeevers » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:00 pm

I'd decide whether or not I wanted a gore tex liner or not first. If you do then go try on different brands to see which fits your feet best. If not, for various reasons, first of which being that they're sweatier than an unlined leather boot and a fabric one will leak once the gore tex fails. If not, Meindl Bhutan, Scarpa SL and Hanwag Tatra II are unlined leather boots.

GoOutdoors will price match AND beat by 10% any other shops including online so using that will serve you well. You could use it as a good excuse to visit the lakes and go to Keswick boot co. who are superlative and will definitely sort you out.
hbeevers
Mountaineer

Postby PaulF » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:32 pm

Great thanks for the advice appreciated.
PaulF
Mountaineer

Postby Veryhappybunny » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:18 am

I recently got a pair of leather boots (raichles) resoled by http://lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk/walking-boot-repairs-and-resoles/ and am very happy. They replaced the sole and the midsole - the sole was pretty worn and the midsole perishing.

Otherwise I agree with the advice given - lightweight goretex boots are fine for a year then leak.
Veryhappybunny
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:158
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:163   Islands:8

Postby Yoke » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:44 pm

Another vote for Hanwag boots and Keswick boot co. http://www.thekeswickbootco.co.uk/
Yoke
Scrambler

Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:53   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk