walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A'Bhuidheanach Bheag

A'Bhuidheanach Bheag

Postby seamus0 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:14 pm

Route description: Càrn na Caim and A'Bhuidheanach Bheag, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: A' Bhuidheanach Bheag, Càrn na Caim

Date walked: 01/04/2018

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My 3rd munro of the trip was pretty easy and done in fantastic weather on Easter Sunday - A' Bhuidheanach Bheag ....wining the competition for the most unpronounceable munro on the list ??? Normally walked as a pair with Carn na Caim, I tried to do the 2 in January however it took 6 hrs just to climb carn na caim then as the snow was knee deep all the way to the top! I decided A' Bhuidheanach Bheag would have to wait for another day, and today was the day!

This munro is easily accessible from the A9 near Dalwhinnie and makes an ideal walk in good conditions as a track takes you a good bit up the mountain and you start at around 400m up already. From the layby just before the Dalwhinnie turnoff on the left (heading north, layby 87) cross the A9 carefully and enter the moorland via the large metal gate. Follow the landrover track that goes under pylons and climbs the hill SE slowly.
Bheag-1.JPG
Start of landrover track

Bheag-2.JPG
western munros visible climbing up

This time the track was visible most of the way unlike last time. There was still snow on it, but it was crisp hard snow you could walk on and not that Russian stuff that I just sank into last time !! It eventually petered out near the top pf the plateau between the 2 mountains Carn na caim and A'Bhuidheanach Bheag.
Bheag-3.JPG
Snow covered track further up

Bheag-4.JPG
More snow climbing up

Bheag-5.JPG
Views climbing up

Once it flattens out (after 1.5hrs or so) take a bearing due south making sure to avoid the steep section at 655790.
Bheag-6.JPG
Steep section to avoid to your right (south)

I met a group who were doing the carn na caim first, we had a quick chat and I carried on south. The weather was fantastic.
Bheag-7.JPG
Group of 4 doing the other munro

From there the route climbs slowly for 80m over 1.3 km to reach a small cairn.
Bheag-8.JPG
Fence post enroute

Bheag-9.JPG
Steep section from different angle

Bheag-10.JPG
Top of A' Bhuidheanach Bheag

The reward is fantastic views of the surrounding hills.
Bheag-12.JPG
Some more pics from plateau

Bheag-13.JPG

Bheag-14.JPG

Bheag-15.JPG

Bheag-16.JPG

Note that navigation could be difficult in bad weather but not today. As the photos show I had a 360 degree panorama of the hills. At the top, I could hear a pin drop it was so peaceful. I spent 15mins just sucking it all in, knowing that tomorrow the weather was set to change and that this would probably be my last good day of my trip.
Bheag-18.JPG
View coming down

I met some more folks doing the 2 munros...I was just glad to get this one in and take my time enjoying the outdoors. I took my time coming down, these winter days don't come often enough!
seamus0
Munro compleatist

Munros:138   Corbetts:2

Re: A'Bhuidheanach Bheag

Postby Coop » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:25 am

That trig point pic shows how much snow up there.
There's another 2 or 3 feet of it under snow.
Bleak place!!
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby gld73 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:35 am

Did these 2 in the snow a couple of weeks ago - your photos are certainly better than mine, looks like you got a good day :D . Reading trip reports from other times of the year, a clear winter day certainly seems like the best time to do it; no sign of the boggy ground people keep mentioning!
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby seamus0 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:23 pm

Yeah thats why I wanted to do them in the winter...but the other munro was a different story in January....a total slog to get up with soft snow! It certainly makes a difference in good conditions and once you're up there its difficult to come down its so peaceful (in good weather of course) !
seamus0
Munro compleatist

Munros:138   Corbetts:2

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland