walkhighlands

Long-running quiz threads, photo competitions and post-a-photo threads. Please keep them here to keep the General Discussion board tidy.

Photo Competition Comments

Re: Photo Competition Comments

Postby rockhopper » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:01 pm

BobMcBob wrote:I'll change the wording of the rules to read 'image' rather than 'photo', which should fix the ambiguity.
Thanks Bob. In the dim and distant past, I started out with a mechanical SLR and 35mm slide film - to me, a photo was taken when I pressed the shutter release button; multi exposures required the film to be manually rewound. A final image might then comprise one or more photos. As you're the competition owner, you set the rules by which entrants abide - changing it to state the submission of an image would seem to be an ideal solution - cheers :)

BobMcBob wrote:...if you'd like to change your vote again in light of this I'll accept it..
1 wilkiemurray, 2 grahamw, 3 bobmcbob - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby BobMcBob » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:24 pm

FYI folks it's looking like it will be into December before I'm able to do the count for this month. This also means December's comp will start late.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby BobMcBob » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:15 pm

Just casting for opinions on Sgurr's entry this month. My feeling is that I'll allow the first one. We've allowed shots of the Forth Bridge before and I definitely recall someone entering a photo of the SSE Hydro at some point, though I do recall it being controversial. Anybody have any strong thoughts on the subject? Remember, it's only a bit of fun :)
BobMcBob
Rambler

Postby mountainstar » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:09 pm

Fine with me.
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:34 pm

Fine by me too, folk don't have to vote for it if they disagree.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Tinto63 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:15 pm

Fine with me to allow Sgurr's first entry.

Having had a quick look back through the competitions I note that up to No. 58 the wording was "Photo should be of an outdoor nature and be from anywhere in the world". This then changed to " Photo must be taken outdoors....".

My own preference would be to go back to the original wording so that a photo from inside a bothy or from an aircraft or from Sgurr's bedroom etc. would be fine.

However, I am quite content to abide by Bob's ruling on this as he and his predecessors have done a great job organising the competition.
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:18 pm

Fine with me too :)
rockhopper

Postby BobMcBob » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:53 pm

Tinto63 wrote:Having had a quick look back through the competitions I note that up to No. 58 the wording was "Photo should be of an outdoor nature and be from anywhere in the world". This then changed to " Photo must be taken outdoors....".

My own preference would be to go back to the original wording so that a photo from inside a bothy or from an aircraft or from Sgurr's bedroom etc. would be fine.

Interesting. I changed the wording because I felt 'taken outdoors' encompassed a wider range of subjects than 'of an outdoor nature' which I felt implied landscapes, wilderness, mountains but not, for example, a nice sunset taken in a town.

The fact that the only thing I have for December's comp is a nice sunset taken in a town has no bearing on this :D
BobMcBob
Rambler

Postby BobMcBob » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:46 am

Just to let everybody know I am away again and so I may be very very late with the results this month. I'll accept all votes cast up until the time I manage to get some broadband.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Postby Chris Mac » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:45 pm

With Bob unfortunately unavailable at present i'm thinking it makes sense to keep the June photo comp topic open until the end of the month or maybe a little into August, then do the voting for that before starting a July topic, any objections?
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:48 pm

Chris Mac wrote:With Bob unfortunately unavailable at present i'm thinking it makes sense to keep the June photo comp topic open until the end of the month or maybe a little into August, then do the voting for that before starting a July topic, any objections?

Sounds fine to me. At the end of the day, its just nice that somebody spends time and makes the effort to make this happen, so that person gets to make the rules as far as I'm concerned! Thank you.

Shame I've got no photo to add at all this month!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:58 pm

Mal Grey wrote:
Chris Mac wrote:With Bob unfortunately unavailable at present i'm thinking it makes sense to keep the June photo comp topic open until the end of the month or maybe a little into August, then do the voting for that before starting a July topic, any objections?

Sounds fine to me. At the end of the day, its just nice that somebody spends time and makes the effort to make this happen, so that person gets to make the rules as far as I'm concerned! Thank you.

I'd second that - cheers :)
rockhopper

Postby BobMcBob » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:33 pm

I must apologise to everybody for disappearing, it has been a very rough few months for me and I haven't really even thought about WalkHighlands or the Photo Comp. My sincere thanks to Chris for stepping in. I'm not sure when I'll be able to start giving this my attention again but Chris I have templates for the logos and spreadsheets for the results (Mac only) so if you'd like me to send you those to simplify your task, PM me.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Postby Chris Mac » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:22 pm

BobMcBob wrote:I must apologise to everybody for disappearing, it has been a very rough few months for me and I haven't really even thought about WalkHighlands or the Photo Comp. My sincere thanks to Chris for stepping in. I'm not sure when I'll be able to start giving this my attention again but Chris I have templates for the logos and spreadsheets for the results (Mac only) so if you'd like me to send you those to simplify your task, PM me.

No apology needed Bob, sometimes life throws us all a curveball. I've sent you a PM so I can get the files and up my game to your excellent standards... :D cheers!
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:30 pm

I'd just like to thank you both for making the effort for the rest of us.

BobMcBob, no apologies needed, and all the best to you. Hope life smooths out again soon.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Photo threads, comps and quizzes