walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First Donalds!

First Donalds!

Postby KatTai » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:26 pm

Route description: Glen Sherup horseshoe, Glen Devon

Donalds included on this walk: Innerdownie, Tarmangie Hill

Date walked: 19/04/2018

Time taken: 4.2 hours

Distance: 16 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had the route for this walk already printed out so figured I'd take advantage of the nice forecast and head out to bag my first ever Donalds! Sadly the sunshine wasn't shining in Glen Sherup, but it was a pleasant walk regardless. In the conifer forest there were a fair few crossbills and there was a falcon low-flying just before the summit of Whitewisp Hill. There also seemed to be a lot of skylarks about, certainly more than I can remember hearing for a while! The ladder stile to reach Whitewisp Hill has a doggy gate at the side, perfectly fine for my collie but larger breed dogs may struggle to get through that. Overall a pleasant walk.

a.jpg
Crossbill

6.jpg

10.jpg
Innerdownie summit

c.jpg
Ladder stile with doggy gate

14.jpg
Tarmangie Hill

15.jpg

f.jpg

h.jpg
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Re: First Donalds!

Postby iangpark » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:11 am

My first time in the Ochil Donalds today too - you must have been an earlier bird than me. Love the photos - it was bird heaven at Innerdownie!
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Postby KatTai » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:20 am

iangpark wrote:My first time in the Ochil Donalds today too - you must have been an earlier bird than me. Love the photos - it was bird heaven at Innerdownie!

Definitely a good spot for birds! Was so pleased to hear so many skylarks up there. I wasn't too much of an early bird though, started at around 11-11:30 I think :lol: Only saw one other walker and that was right at the end of the walk, no sign of anyone higher up.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby ColinBrough » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:12 pm

I did the same route that day - started out at about 1025, so you might have been catching me up by the end...
ColinBrough
Mountaineer

Munros:41   Corbetts:8
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:4

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland