walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Ettrick Hills ridge walk

An Ettrick Hills ridge walk

Postby iainR » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:41 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Andrewhinney Hill

Donalds included on this walk: Andrewhinney Hill, Bell Craig, Bodesbeck Law, Herman Law

Date walked: 30/04/2018

Time taken: 5.25 hours

Distance: 17.3 km

Ascent: 871m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'd never been on any of the Ettrick Hills and after looking over various different routes for several different groups of these hills i decided on the Herman Law to Bodesbeck Law ridge as it looked the most interesting and i could access it from the A708 Moffat road saving me a much longer drive into Ettrick village in the neighbouring valley.
The only downside i could see to my plan was the fact that there wasn't any practical way off the end of the ridge which did'nt involve a long walk back over a narrow and sometimes busy road therefore i'd have to retrace my steps, a workout indeed but the weather looked great and a Graham and some Donalds were on offer so bring it on !
I parked in a small lay-by near Birkhill Farm and started up the hillside from behind a mobile phone mast located in the trees next to the farm. Following the fence line up Herman Law was brutally steep and gradually improved to very steep but having the fence nearby was a great walking aid more often than not !

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The advantage as always with steep hillsides is that height is gained relatively quickly and i was soon at the fence junction on the summit of Herman Law. A couple of photos later i was off along the ridge following a fence with faint tracks on either side of it. I spotted a couple of large cairns in the distance which turned out to be marker cairns for 2 of the non classified tops, Trowgrain Middle and Mid Rig.
Looking down to Birkhill__.jpg
Looking down to Birkhill Farm

Summit of Herman Law__.jpg
Summit of Herman Law

Towards Trowgrain Middle__.jpg
Towards Trowgrain Middle

Cairn on Trowgrain Middle__.jpg
Cairn on Trowgrain Middle

With the intially overcast skies rapidly clearing i gained the highest point on the ridge, the summit of Andrewhinney Hill
and the views of White Coomb and the Grey Mair's Tail to the west.
It was on the path down from the 3rd Donald of the day, Bell Craig, that the views of the Saddle Yokes really opened up and brought a smile to my face as those hills were the subject of my first WH post back in 2015.
Cairn on Mid Rig__.jpg
Cairn on Mid Rig

Summit of Andrewhinney Hill__.jpg
Summit of Andrewhinney Hill

Loch Skeen and Grey Mare's Tail__.jpg
Loch Skeen and the Grey Mair's Tail

Towards Bell Craig__.jpg
Towards Bell Craig

By now the sun was really beating down but the cold wind blowing over the ridge kept the jacket on and eventually after a long pull up steeper slopes and exactly 2 hours 45 minutes since i left the car i found myself on the summit of the final Donald of the day, Bodesbeck Law.
With the camera work finished and some food in my belly i could concentrate on the task at hand, getting back over that ridge !
The Saddle Yokes__.jpg
The Saddle Yokes

Towards Bodesbeck Law__.jpg
Towards Bodesbeck Law

I reached Herman Law quicker than i thought i would but the old knees took a battering going down the steep slopes back to the phone mast.
Summit of Bodesbeck Law__.jpg
Summit of Bodesbeck Law

Despite retracing my steps it was still a very worthwhile and straightforward ridge walk in the Borders hill country.
Attachments
Back to the start__.jpg
Back to the start
iainR
Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:30
Fionas:26   Donalds:62
Sub 2000:21   

Re: An Ettrick Hills ridge walk

Postby iangpark » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:10 pm

Thanks for this - loved that photo of the GMT and Loch Skeen above. Doing this with a friend later this year; will be nice to give these hills some extra attention.
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue May 01, 2018 9:35 pm

Enjoyed reading that and an interesting route choice.
When I was in the Ettricks I picked off the southern 6 in a oner, which was a tough day, then another trip the 3 to the north.
The beauty of tackling the Donalds is seeing how everyone opts for different routes and linking hills together, I tried to minimise the travelling by linking as many hills in each visit - always looks easy on a map, but in reality I failed a few times.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby iainR » Tue May 01, 2018 10:26 pm

Thanks for the comments, i will return to the Ettricks maybe later this year in order to bag the most southern Donalds around Ettrick Head but as you suggest Fife the area is quite extensive.
iainR
Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:30
Fionas:26   Donalds:62
Sub 2000:21   

Postby rockhopper » Tue May 01, 2018 11:26 pm

Nice wander and a good day for it - so many options to mix and match hills down here. :thumbup:
Think I took the easy option though :wink: left the car at Birkhill and cycled down to Selcoth farm and fishery where I hid the bike in undergrowth - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland