walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Inchree insert

Inchree insert

Postby Benaden887 » Thu May 03, 2018 9:44 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn na Gucaig, Tom Meadhoin

Date walked: 29/04/2018

Time taken: 7.2 hours

Distance: 16.5 km

Ascent: 1255m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Inchree insert. Tom Meadhoin 6.9km. 635m 3h. 29/ 04/ 2018

A pairing of two unremarkable Grahams, mundane in character but redeemed by having superb viewpoints on the route to the top of the surrounding hills.
Park at gr 096603, Loch Leven @ 9am. The weather is dry and cold. I go light cept for leather boots. Gear up, for a very wet ROW track that climbs steeply thro trees then brush to open hillside. The calling of a Cuckoo follows me uphill, couldbe a good day. Past a farm, forestry and radio mast, a line of white posts leads me on to Bealach na Gualain - the col between Gualainn and Tom Meadhoin. I pause at the large cairn, here are good views of the Mamores - the WHW and a tree lined glen below. Time to go. The line of reflective posts continues over a minor top to reach in 2hs, Meadhoin`s small clutch of stones @ 621m. Rest here and soak in the views. A snow capped Bidean, ditto the Ballachulish horseshoe, Ardgour and Garbh Beinn, stunning. My return to the car, clips the forest edge and lower down I meet a guy coming up to do the Corbett. A wee chat, he`s here for the week. I wish him well. Seen enroute also birds, sheep and deer.

Beinn na Gucaig 9.6km 620m 4h 20

A wee wash up, then drive to Inchree FC c/p. Gear on, then follow the red trail. Find the start of an atv track that climbs the hill. (My thanks to the Panther, the picture`s worth 1000 words.) Short grasses and heather, with odd trees - a long easy walk, drier than earlier, stop at a Mountain Rescue equipment stand with twin solar panels for a looksee. So to the 575m top, drop 20m, cross a flat boggy area and fence, then up on short burnt heather stumps to reach the cairn an trig point of Gucaig @ 616m. Incoming heavy clouds hint of rain, so after a brief rest, I repack my gear and returned over the 575 top the way I came up. There`s a wee splatter of rain on the way down but nothing major. Seen enroute - folk in the cp, no one doing my hill, lower down, plenty lizards,(one ran over my boot) birds and deer, an apple at the MR stand, left for the birds that had already pecked holes in it.

Yep, I had a good day.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

Re: Inchree insert

Postby BlackPanther » Fri May 04, 2018 8:20 am

Two nice hills with good views, glad you enjoyed them :D Nice to know that my WH scribbling is actually useful to other walkers. Sometimes I think I put too many photos and too much detail in my stories :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Re: Inchree insert

Postby Benaden887 » Fri May 04, 2018 11:14 am

[quote="BlackPanther"]Two nice hills with good views, glad you enjoyed them :D Nice to know that my WH scribbling is actually useful to other walkers. Sometimes I think I put too many photos and too much detail in my stories :lol:[/quote

Never too many photo`s, allows one to see the lie of the land. Your script gave me the urge to follow your route.
Glad I did, thanks.
Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland