walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

It's grand up north - part 1 - Ben Klibreck

It's grand up north - part 1 - Ben Klibreck

Postby mrssanta » Fri May 04, 2018 9:47 pm

Route description: Ben Klibreck

Munros included on this walk: Ben Klibreck

Date walked: 29/04/2018

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 950m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It's been a long time since we went up a Munro (Last September to be precise) and leaving us (me in particular) not very fit.
I had a week and a day off work (including the Bank Holiday) and the forecast looked good for the far north, so we decided a wee trip to Sutherland and Assynt was in order. In this way we could still wild camp but drive from one hill to the next and not have to carry four days worth of gear in one go.
Of course this brought up some interesting questions in my Yorkshire/Scottish hybrid mind about what "up north" means. Here in Yorkshire we generally consider ourselves Northern (and we are north of the Geographical Centre of Great Britain according to the OS) but in comparison to what really counts we are in the deep south. Anyroad, as they say, there are some in the North of Englandshire who would be grateful for an SNP candidate in elections and would possibly like to join in with the devolution revolution - but that isn't really a discussion for this site!!

Having got those musings out of the way, to the Munro-bagging! We left our house on Saturday morning, dropping in for lunch with CWH in her Edinburgh halls of residence, whence we nipped to Aldi to buy some eggs to hard boil to replace the ones we had forgotten to bring. Then we drove to Perth to Tiso's to buy walking socks to replace the ones that had been left on the bed at home. Then we drove to Tiso's in Inverness arriving just ten minutes before closing time, having remembered we had forgotten to bring gaiters. With the wallets somewhat lighter our next mission was to find the most northerly fish and chips on our route, which we duly did at Lairg. We stopped and ate them by the side of the road overlooking Loch Shin getting excited about our adventures to come.

Arriving at the parking place just before Vagastie Bridge we set up our tent a short way up the path out of sight of the road and were soon fast asleep, to the sound of snipe whirring. It was a beautiful spot with views all around

It was a cold, clear night and there was frost on the tent in the morning but the sun was shining and just a wee cap of cloud sat like a chinese hat on top of the peak of Ben Klibreck. There was a small patch of snow that we could see over where we thought the path went but it looked easily avoidable so we left the crampons and axes behind.
P4291091 (2) (Custom) (2).JPG
Ben Hee from our camping place

P4291092 (2) (Custom) (2).JPG
Ben More Assynt across the moor

P4291093 (Custom) (2).JPG
Ben Loyal with a bit of cloud on the top

We followed the walkhighlands route. It was good to have the uphill sections split up by a bit of along. There was a good path traversing the side of the mountain which was very pleasant. On the way up we weren't troubled by too much bog as the ground was a little bit crunchy with ice.
P4291094 (2) (Custom) (2).JPG
Ben Klibreck from just above the camp site. The path traverses below the long snow patch

P4291095 (Custom) (2).JPG
looking roughly north from the first cairn on Cnoc Sgriodain

P4291098 (Custom) (2).JPG
... and from the second cairn, Ben Hope has now appeared on the left with cloud on it, Ben Loyal on the right

P4291100 (Custom) (2).JPG
Still a wee puff of cloud on the top of the hill, we crossed the snow patch on the extreme right, but could have avoided it. The path went below the long snow patch.

P4291103 (Custom) (2).JPG
This cairn is found just after starting the second "up" section - Looking over to Ben Hope in the distance.

P4291104 (Custom) (2).JPG
Making the small snow patch look big, with a view to Ben Loyal on the right, Hope in the middle and Cranstackie and Beinn Spionnaidh I think on the left

P4291105 (Custom) (2).JPG
a frozen bootprint

P4291106 (Custom) (2).JPG
nice path traversing below Creag an Lochan to the 688 bealach

P4291109 (2) (Custom) (2).JPG
Pair of ptarmigan

There was a nice patch of snow just before the final climb up the summit cone which was easily crossed, with a lovely mildly scrambly bit to provide a treat before the steep pull up to the top.
P4291114 (Custom) (2).JPG
at the start of the final climb up

P4291116 (Custom) (2).JPG
Rudolph playing in the snow. Reindeer like snow, there was a much easier bit to cross

P4291117 (Custom) (2).JPG
Here comes a bit of weather

P4291118 (Custom) (2).JPG
Looking south to Creag an Lochain

The cap of cloud had left the top of the hill, but just a few minutes before we reached the summit a bit of weather blew in from the East and it was cold and claggy on the top.
P4291121 (Custom) (2).JPG
Rudolph on the summit. Ah well, Scotland's Favourite View again!

P4291122 (Custom) (2).JPG
It looks like the remains of two trig points on this summit!

We didn't hang around much but quickly descended and stopped a few minutes below the summit to have our lunch. By this point the summit was clear again and it was a gorgeous sunny afternoon with virtually no wind. But we didn't go back up again :wink:
P4291127 (Custom) (2).JPG
Happy Mugs

The descent was distinctly more muddy than the ascent but it was a lovely afternoon with clear skies and lots of singing larks.
P4291132 (Custom) (2).JPG
No cloud on top now!

P4291133 (Custom) (2).JPG
Almost back now, Ben Hee in the background, Vagastie is the little green patch in the middle of the brown expanse of Strath Vagastie

we were quickly back at the tent to set off for the next part of our adventure, Ben Hope, of which more in a later instalment. Link to part 2: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=80238

Klibreck.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by mrssanta on Mon May 07, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: It's grand up north - part 1 - Ben Klibreck

Postby malky_c » Fri May 04, 2018 9:57 pm

I'm afraid you're definitely down south, but this is further north than I've been in a long while!

This corner of the far north doesn't get as much love as the hills further west, but the big open spaces are quite unique. Not a bad looking day :) .
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat May 05, 2018 5:26 pm

Nice wee start to your raid on this side of the boarder
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Alteknacker » Sun May 06, 2018 4:11 pm

I reckon this reasonably qualifies as "oop north"!

Good to see the happy mugs enjoying what looks like pretty fair weather indeed from the pics. :D

Assynt looks just wonderful - and I've still got to get there :?
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby mrssanta » Mon May 07, 2018 9:36 pm

malky_c wrote:I'm afraid you're definitely down south, but this is further north than I've been in a long while!

This corner of the far north doesn't get as much love as the hills further west, but the big open spaces are quite unique. Not a bad looking day :) .

It was lovely I would have liked to spend longer - lots of space.
gammy leg walker wrote:Nice wee start to your raid on this side of the boarder

thanks, and it got better and better. Back home now, but another trip planned in 2 weeks. :D
Alteknacker wrote:I reckon this reasonably qualifies as "oop north"!

Good to see the happy mugs enjoying what looks like pretty fair weather indeed from the pics. :D

Assynt looks just wonderful - and I've still got to get there :?

considering the awful weather and what has felt like a really long winter, it was great to get some dry days and sunshine.
No arguing about the "oop north"ness of Assynt and Sutherland right enough! Although I still claim to be a Northerner by some standard or another!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland