walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A visit to Donald Trump's hair factory

A visit to Donald Trump's hair factory

Postby Jaxter » Tue May 08, 2018 3:23 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a' Phùbuill

Fionas included on this walk: Meall Onfhaidh

Date walked: 02/04/2018

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 18.51 km

Ascent: 1300m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I awoke to the sound of waves breaking gently on the shore and the gentle flapping of tent fabric. It seemed after the previous day’s exertions I had finally got myself a good night’s sleep :lol:

When I opened to tent door it was to one of my favourite sights

I was in no particular rush and was still in the beginnings of a plan for the day. I got the maps out as I boiled water for hot chocolate and porridge from the warmth of my sleeping bag and enjoyed the sense of relaxation that you get from not actually needing to be anywhere, or to do anything, at that moment.

Some time later I parked up at Fassfern and headed up the track signposted to Glen Loy, heading for Meall a’ Phuibuill. Also signposted was Meall Onfhaidh – a quick check of the map suggested that the addition of this hill would make a nice circular route, and I’m a big fan of them :lol: I decided to see how the legs and the weather fared as the day progressed.

Today was to be more overcast but it was gloriously sunny as I made good progress up the track

Looking back to Stob Coire a’ Chearcaill across Loch Eil

The track made for easy walking and as I crossed the burn on the slightly wobbly but very welcome bridge I could see Glensulaig Bothy ahead. Figuring it was worth a wee diversion to take a look I risked wet feet as I bog-hopped my way across a field.

Rather than backtrack I cut straight uphill from here to rejoin the path. My legs didn’t thank me for this :lol: But at least it was largely dry or avoidable bog :roll:

Back on the track it gained height easily before joining the Allt Fionn Doire. I liked the rock steps that the river was flowing over. The An t-Suileag had been the same as I’d walked up the glen so it must be some geological process prevalent in the area.

Safely across the river thanks to another footbridge I was onto the open slopes of Meall a’ Phuibuill. This steep slog to the summit looked to be the worst bit of the day – the price I was to pay for the Gleann Suileag approach and my nice circular route :roll:

At least I could see an impressive snowy Gulvain beginning to appear

It was steep and pathless and I slowly and steadily made progress uphill. Stops were made often and many unnecessary photos were taken as I dragged myself up the ascent from hell.

Meall Onfhaidh

Looking back down Gleann Suileag

As the gradient began to relent I found myself crossing snow fields which made for much easier walking 8) However I was also hit with the full force of the wind which negated the easier underfoot conditions as I struggled to stay on course :lol:

Finally at the summit – the plateau-like summit meant that the best views of Gulvain are still to come

The Lochaber Massif – Ben Nevis and pals

Jaxter on Meall a’ Phuibuill

Stob Coire a’ Chearcaill and Loch Eil

Towards Moidart

Glenfinnan hills

It was cold on top so definitely wasn’t hanging about weather. The map suggested that dropping off towards the bealach would be steep but possible….This turned out to be correct but much more mental than I’d expected :lol:

Firm enough footing for a wee pano

I this might be the Glenfinnan munros

I stopped to scope out my route up Meall Onfhaidh

I carefully picked my way down towards the bealach, very grateful that the ground was dry and at least I could get plenty of purchase with my boots. Looking back up it looked like slightly further north would have given me a slightly easier descent but thankfully I was safely down and had even found a burn to top up my water supplies too!

I crossed the bealach – Feith an Easain – which was fairly squishy before heading up again. My planned route would traverse diagonally across, heading for a rock with a tree which would give me the easiest ground whilst also avoiding most of the snow.

A better angle of Gulvain

Looking back to my descent from Meall a’ Phuibuill

As I finally arrived at the snow it was steep and hard. Crampons on a Graham – well I never :lol:

Crampons fitted, it was an easy walk up the final section to the ridge. The snow had formed into some pretty cool shapes

Once on the ridge I was out of snow so my 5 minutes of crampons was over :lol: Still, just goes to show that even on lower hills it’s still winter!

Having gained the ridge I’d also got the wind back and I fought my way up the final few metres towards the summit of Meall Onfhaidh.

Gulvain

That’s some skyline – the hills of Ardnamurchan 8)

Glenfinnan Hills

Loch Eil with Ben Nevis

The sun hitting Gulvain

Meall a’ Phuibuill

Nevis & pals

Again it was cold and blowy so I headed off – it looked like an easy descent down to the track. “Easy” wasn’t quite how I’d have described what I came down although it wasn’t quite as bad as the earlier descent :shock: :lol:

I had considered going over Aodann Chleireig – it was an attractive looking hill, but my legs were tired and more importantly the weather was set to come in with the promise of another dump of snow and I wanted to be home (or at least past Tyndrum!) before it hit….more on that later :lol:

On the descent – looking down Gleann Suileag

Aodann Chleireig – a hill for another day

As I descended I found myself walking through Donald Trump’s hair factory and felt great delight in kicking it around a bit :lol:

Yet another conveniently placed footbridge saw me easily across the Leth Allt near the dam and onto the track. From here it was an easy walk back to the car, and as the weather was still nice I stopped to enjoy my sandwiches as I looked back to Meall Onfhaidh and Meall a’ Phuibuill behind

Ben Nevis, miraculously still clear – that’s three days in a row (3 weeks worth of clear days :lol: )

Eventually I crossed the bridge across the An t-Suileag and was back on my outward path with an easy walk back to Fassfern.

What followed was an unpleasant drive home as it started snowing at Glencoe and got gradually worse. Fortunately I passed the high points before it properly hit and I was able to hole up in my flat during the blizzard :lol: Absolutely worth it, what a weekend 8)

Meall a Phuibuill & Meall Onfhaidh.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: A visit to Donald Trump's hair factory

Postby malky_c » Tue May 08, 2018 9:59 pm

Fairly low key hills compared to what's around them, but there's still plenty of interest in them. This pair plus a couple of others gave me one of my best days out of the year a few years back :) . Good memories of a bothy night with Alan and Steve at Glensulaig on the way to the Kinlochleven meet as well.

Great camping spot 8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Mal Grey » Tue May 08, 2018 10:07 pm

Nice hills, on the edge of the wilds, by the look of them.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Alteknacker » Wed May 09, 2018 5:58 am

You do get to some (for me) unusual hills!

Some really great pics there, especially the panos :clap: :clap: :clap: .
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby BlackPanther » Wed May 09, 2018 12:28 pm

Brings back memories :D We too climbed Meall Onfhaidh from Fassfern, but combined it with Aodann Chlereig instead of the Corbett (which we had done earlier from Glen Loy side). Kevin had some silly ideas about adding outlying tops and we ended up descending straight to Kinlocheil through ankle-deep bog... Well, at least it was unusual :lol:

Druim Fada on the other side of Glen Suileag is also a cracker, perfect one for winter walking.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Jaxter » Sun May 13, 2018 10:23 am

malky_c wrote:Fairly low key hills compared to what's around them, but there's still plenty of interest in them. This pair plus a couple of others gave me one of my best days out of the year a few years back :) . Good memories of a bothy night with Alan and Steve at Glensulaig on the way to the Kinlochleven meet as well.

Great camping spot 8)

It's a lovely area isn't it! 8) 8) It looks like the bothy isn't open anymore, is this a new thing?

Mal Grey wrote:Nice hills, on the edge of the wilds, by the look of them.

I do like an obscure hill :D :D

Alteknacker wrote:You do get to some (for me) unusual hills!

Some really great pics there, especially the panos :clap: :clap: :clap: .

It's amazing where you can get to if you stop thinking about munros :lol:

BlackPanther wrote:Brings back memories :D We too climbed Meall Onfhaidh from Fassfern, but combined it with Aodann Chlereig instead of the Corbett (which we had done earlier from Glen Loy side). Kevin had some silly ideas about adding outlying tops and we ended up descending straight to Kinlocheil through ankle-deep bog... Well, at least it was unusual :lol:

Druim Fada on the other side of Glen Suileag is also a cracker, perfect one for winter walking.

Gotta love a good bog :lol: There's lots of awesome looking hills around there :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland