walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bog, sweat and suncream - another accidental epic!

Bog, sweat and suncream - another accidental epic!

Postby Jaxter » Sun May 13, 2018 9:38 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Stacath, Stob a' Choin

Date walked: 12/05/2018

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1944m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The ribs seemed to have survived the Cairngorms Test so it was time for a hill….I picked a route that had plenty of bail out options (and also the possibility of adding things on :lol: ) and headed off very late!

Looking down Loch Voil

The car park at Inverlochlarig was overflowing but fortunately I managed to find a space on the verge. It was past 11 when I started and it was very warm.

Looking down the glen to Stob a Choin

I followed the track towards Blaircreich, crossed the bridges and turned left along the track. This track soon became very boggy.

Looking back to Beinn Tulaichean

Soon I came across an impassable sinking bog. Well, it was impassable with dry feet anyway. I spent a while trying to skirt around it but it was a hopeless case. I’d been going 25 minutes and I already had soaking wet feet….sigh :roll:

Down the glen

The river looked tricky to cross with dry feet so I continued up the west side of the glen. In hindsight the dry feet was irrelevant as mine were already soaked :lol: But I crashed my way through the undergrowth and through a deer fence before finding somewhere to…wash my feet :lol:

From here I crashed my way through more undergrowth alongside a wall….

And eventually I found myself on the track! Wahey :thumbup: There was some weird steam coming out of the undergrowth all the way along here which was weird :shock:

As I followed the track higher I could see through the trees towards Beinn Tulaichean and Cruach Ardrain

I utilised this waterfall to fill my water bottle as it was absolutely roasting :shock:

Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Ardrain, Ben More & Stob Binnein

Leaving the track and heading off across boggy ground I headed up into Coire Odhar. As I was taking it easy I stopped for a photo or two back the way :wink:

A wee plane flew right over my head

The plane heads North

I met the line of fenceposts and these led me to the trig point at the top of Beinn Stacath. It was an absolutely stunning day; barely a breath of wind but mercifully no wee beasties 8)

Benvane and Ben Ledi

The Arrochar Alps in the distance with Stob a’ Choin in front

Arrochar Alps

Tulaichean and pals

The Cobbler & Beinn Narnain

Stob a’ Choin

Beinn Tulaichean & Cruach Ardrain

Ben More & Stob Binnein

Ben Lawers

Ben Vorlich & Stuc a’ Chroin

Ben Ledi

Ben Vorlich, Stuc a’ Chroin & Beinn Each

The way ahead….

As I enjoyed a sandwich I was joined by the only two people I saw all day. They had come up the usual route from Ballimore. They also took a photo for me to save me balancing the camera :lol:

I felt good so decided to head along the ridge a distance and see how I felt. There were plenty of bail-out options along the way so I wasn’t worried about over-committing myself.

Looking back to Beinn Stacath from the other side of Coire Odhar

There were a lot of boggy sections here but as my feet were already wet I didn’t really care :lol: Some deer stopped for a photo…

Loch Katrine and Ben Venue

Can just see wee Ben A’an on the left…

Lumpy An Stuchd and Stob a’ Choin

Had to pick my way around these bad boys as I dropped into the glen

A very photogenic tree-rock and Loch Katrine

I headed off diagonally across more boggy ground and a conveniently placed burn (for more water) to head for the lowest point on the obstacle ahead.

The cliffs of An Stuchd – think I’ll give that bit a miss today :lol:

The sun was beating down on me and it was hard work! Over the top, it was an easy descent down to a big rock.

It was decision time again: do I head down the glen or should I continue up?

I took a wee breather, drank some water and applied some more suncream. I felt good….Let’s do it :D

I was in the shade for a brief period which was lovely as it was steep :lol:

Sheep blocking the way…

Once on the ridge I was confronted with this…. :shock:

There was still a bail-out option here, but my stubbornness was starting to kick in. I dragged my tired legs uphill….

It might have been a steep wee bugger but there were some interesting features to this monster of a hill!

I avoided the worst of the crags by keeping to the left of the 836 top and I was on the final ridge….I could see down to Loch Voil

Loch Katrine

I was getting pretty tired by now and the final section along the very rugged ridge was hard work – there were plenty of ups and downs and some crags to avoid, before I dragged myself up the final ascent and was on the summit!

Or was I? As it turns out, I was. But I visited the other wee bump anyway :lol:

It was a stunning viewpoint in the evening light and I sat down to enjoy the feeling of being out there whilst finishing my sandwiches and applying more suncream 8)

Towards Arrochar

Loch Katrine and Ben Lomond

Benvane and Ben Ledi

Ben Vorlich, Stuc a’ Chroin and Beinn Each

Loch Doine & Loch Voil

The big boys across the road

Now, according to the map and the usual route that I’d looked at, it ought to be possible to drop straight off Stob a’ Choin…. I had a wee look, and it did look ok :thumbup:

So off I went….

Gorgeous down the glen

Meall Mor – looks like a cracking hill!

Bridge of Orchy hills

I’m not sure what this hill is :crazy:

Or this one… :crazy: :crazy:

Loch Doine

Ben More

Looking down the glen – I love evening light at this time of year 8)

However….after losing about 300m of height steeply, I was confronted by a ring of crags that I couldn’t get around….rather than risking hurting myself and conscious of my lack of fitness and it heading towards evening, I decided the sensible thing to do would be to go back up and down the easier but longer route down Creag nan Saighead :roll:

My legs were soooo unimpressed with this decision and it was tough work as I reascended a very steep 300m ascent back to the summit of Stob a’ Choin :roll:

Finally back up, it was just a case of making my way back along the undulating ridge to the 836 top where I cut across and picked up a path that led me easily down the ridge. Meeting a deer fence I followed this down along the side of the forest. It was steep and my legs were tired. But it was a gorgeous evening 8)

Ben More

Tired Jaxter trying to even up the t-shirt tan lines :lol:

Big sheep and little sheep

There was a bridge but seeing as I’d had wet feet for the past 8 hours it didn’t seem worth the diversion; at least it was clean water this time :lol:

Safely across the river I looked back towards Stob a’ Choin – impressive but very steep!

My whole route – Beinn Stacath to Stob a’ Choin

Looking back Image

Beinn Stacath

It was an easy walk along the track past Inverlochlarig to my car which I was very pleased to see :lol: I was knackered – 26km and nearly 2000m ascent for a couple of corbetts :lol: I was covered in bog, sweat and all sorts so did a classy change before digging out more water for the drive home :D But most importantly – my ribs felt good :D :D

A last look at Stob a’ Choin

It was a beautiful evening so I stopped for a few photos on the way home – Loch Voil & Stob a’ Choin

The whole glen

Loch Lubnaig

And an incredible sunset :shock:

Beinn Stacath & Stob a' Choin.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Bog, sweat and suncream - another accidental epic!

Postby Alteknacker » Mon May 14, 2018 9:02 am

Your practice of taking on satellites of the Munroes certainly seems to be paying dividends - some really great pictures here, and boy did you have a good day for snappin'.

I guess your boots are now living outside..... :D
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Jaxter » Tue May 15, 2018 6:57 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Your practice of taking on satellites of the Munroes certainly seems to be paying dividends - some really great pictures here, and boy did you have a good day for snappin'.

I guess your boots are now living outside..... :D

I do like a good obscure hill - much quieter on a good day :D

My boots are still wet....and yes, they smell pretty funky :lol: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Mal Grey » Tue May 15, 2018 7:11 pm

Would liberally applied bog, mixed with sweat, make a good suncream perhaps?

Another good 'un, far too much effort being spent if you ask me! :lol:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby malky_c » Wed May 16, 2018 1:02 pm

Great hill - the Southern Highlands all look so remote from there (eg the views into the back of Ben Venue and Ben Lomond). I remember thinking about adding Beinn Stacath to the route, but it all got a bit too much as I was also trying to include the Grahams either side (Meall Mor and Stob Breac). What I can see here makes me think I made the right decision :lol: .

I think if you'd contoured to the left (west) a bit on your descent of Stob a' Choin, you would have got down OK, but it's steep everywhere. Glad to hear the injuries seem to have healed :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Jaxter » Sat May 19, 2018 11:05 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Would liberally applied bog, mixed with sweat, make a good suncream perhaps?

Another good 'un, far too much effort being spent if you ask me! :lol:

It might be worth a try :lol: :lol:

If it was too easy it would be less satisfying :wink:

malky_c wrote:Great hill - the Southern Highlands all look so remote from there (eg the views into the back of Ben Venue and Ben Lomond). I remember thinking about adding Beinn Stacath to the route, but it all got a bit too much as I was also trying to include the Grahams either side (Meall Mor and Stob Breac). What I can see here makes me think I made the right decision :lol: .

I think if you'd contoured to the left (west) a bit on your descent of Stob a' Choin, you would have got down OK, but it's steep everywhere. Glad to hear the injuries seem to have healed :)

Those Graham’s look awesome! And everything in this glen is so big and grand 8) I looked at route stuff when I got back and I needed to find the grassy shelf. Least I know for another time, and didn’t add to the pile of injuries :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby rockhopper » Sun May 20, 2018 11:40 am

Jings :shock: I can remember adding on another hill to Beinn Stacath (with an addition optional Graham) but don't think I even dreamt of adding on Stob a'Choin. You certainly like your challenges - good day for it though - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland