walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ring of Steall, Stob Ban and Mullach nan Coirean

Ring of Steall, Stob Ban and Mullach nan Coirean

Postby Broggy1 » Mon May 14, 2018 12:34 pm

Route description: The Ring of Steall, Mamores

Munros included on this walk: Am Bodach, An Gearanach, Mullach nan Coirean, Sgùrr a' Mhàim, Stob Bàn (Mamores), Stob Coire a' Chàirn

Date walked: 12/05/2018

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 23.2 km

Ascent: 2411m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Four friends of mine are currently doing the "Three Peaks with a Twist" - cycling between the three.

Due to several reasons (non cyclists, work) we couldn't join them but we did offer to hire a van and take their bikes up on Friday night so they could get the train up to Fort William. We met up on the Ben Nevis North Face Car Park on Friday night ready for them to get an early start Saturday.

After much faffing about the lads got on their way in the morning and we drove round to Glen Nevis, chained their bikes up so they could descend via the tourist track (after heading up the CMD arete) and embarked on our own walk.

Setting off only at 9am, and having to pick up another lad (a non cyclist who just wanted to climb the Ben) afterwards we were pushed for time slightly but I thought we could do the Ring of Steall and maybe add the two Western most Mamores.

In the lead up to the event the forecast had got better and better and come the day itself it was obvious we were in for an outstanding day on the hills.

1 Steall Falls with Munro 1 behind.JPG
After a short road walk and an entertaining wander through Steall Gorge we came to a more open section with Steall Falls and An Gearanach behind

2 Me going over.JPG
Me heading over the wire bridge - it does wobble in the middle but it's not too bad

3 Holland going over.JPG
Dan following suit

4 Steall Falls.JPG
Steall Falls. With the big snow melt this proved much trickier to cross as all the boulders were covered in water and very slippy. We faffed about for ages going up and down looking for the best option to cross before deciding that it was either risk getting very wet, very early into the walk or wade.

We decided to wade.

5 AB and Grey Corries.JPG
Aonach Beag and the Grey Cories

6 Entocing ridge ahead.JPG
After a steep climb on a fascinating path we reached the summit of An Gearanach and the route ahead made us forget all about our waterfall crossing woes from earlier

7 Other side of ROS.JPG
The Devils Ridge on the other side of the Ring

8 Back to Munro 1 Ben Nevis and CMD.JPG
It's a great little scramble along the ridge to An Garbhanach. Looking back to An Gearanach with Ben Nevis and Carn Mor Dearg

9 Eastern Mamores from 2.JPG
The Eastern Mamores from Stob Coire a’ Chàirn after a short climb

10 Back to 1.JPG
Back to An Garbhanach - the descent looks far tougher than it actually is from here

11 Am Bodach ahead.JPG
Am Bodach now ahead and dominant

12 Rest of Ring ahead.JPG
A steep climb brought us to Am Bodach with the route round the rest of the Ring ahead of us

13 Stob Ban.JPG
First proper view of Stob Ban from Sgurr an lubhair - as others have said before it's a breathtaking mountain

14 Devils Ridge.JPG
Heading along the Devils Ridge to Sgùrr a' Mhàim. Narrow but with a good path throughout.

15 Munro 3 to the Ben.JPG
Sgùrr a' Mhàim with Ben Nevis towering behind. Looks like it's been clear all day up there as well so the cycling lads will have a had a great day as well.

15 a Back to An Bodach.JPG
Looking back to Am Bodach and Sgurr an lubhair

15b Stob Ban again.JPG
There's Stob Ban again

16 Back along the ridge.JPG
Heading back along the Devils Ridge

17 Stob Ban closer.JPG
Stob Ban getting closer now - another steep climb

18 Stob Ban looking ahead to 6.JPG
Stob Ban summit looking ahead to the more gentle ascent up Mullach nan Coirean

19 Approaching Number 6.JPG
Mullach nan Coirean getting closer

20 BAB from 6.JPG
Beinn a'Bheithir (I think) from Mullach nan Coirean

21 Mamores.JPG
looking back at the rest of the Mamores

self.png
Success - now we just had the bone crunching descent to do and to pick up our mate from the Nevis Inn (he'd been there an hour or so) before driving to Tyndrum to meet up with the cyclists!
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Re: Ring of Steall, Stob Ban and Mullach nan Coirean

Postby Bmg99 » Mon May 14, 2018 4:54 pm

Great photos. Surprised there was not more snow left. How did your pals find the CMD Arête, was there much snow left on it?
Bmg99
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:3

Postby katyhills » Mon May 14, 2018 8:15 pm

You must be very fit to do that lot in such good time - I'm not jealous or anything! :lol:
Some set of hills aren't they? Fabulous. :)

Great weather for it too. Lovely set of photos. I thought there might have been a bit more snow hanging on to the northern sides of those hills, even though they're so steep.There was still a fair bit on the northern flanks of Stob Binnein /Ben More when I came home on Saturday from Glen Lyon. There was a bit of new snow on a lot of the hills, but it disappeared quite quickly with the sun appearing.
The bridge is good fun eh? :wink:
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Broggy1 » Mon May 14, 2018 8:18 pm

Bmg99 wrote:Great photos. Surprised there was not more snow left. How did your pals find the CMD Arête, was there much snow left on it?

Thanks - was an amazing day. Yeah we thought there may be a bit more left and I was a bit concerned about the exit to Am Bodach as we hadn't taken winter gear but there was nothing you couldn't avoid.

They said the CMD Arete was snowless on the crest as well and all the snow could be avoided on the climb to the Ben.

So basically....summer is in charge now.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Postby Broggy1 » Mon May 14, 2018 8:21 pm

katyhills wrote:You must be very fit to do that lot in such good time - I'm not jealous or anything! :lol:
Some set of hills aren't they? Fabulous. :)

Great weather for it too. Lovely set of photos. I thought there might have been a bit more snow hanging on to the northern sides of those hills, even though they're so steep.There was still a fair bit on the northern flanks of Stob Binnein /Ben More when I came home on Saturday from Glen Lyon. There was a bit of new snow on a lot of the hills, but it disappeared quite quickly with the sun appearing.
The bridge is good fun eh? :wink:

Yes - absolutely fabulous hills (especially Stob Ban).

Didn't see any new snow on the hills in the morning up that way - which was surprising considering it went very cold and rained overnight.

Both Ben More and SB looked largely snow free by the Sunday.

The bridge was great but I can see why it's not for everyone!
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland