walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Newlands Round, plus two, minus one

A Newlands Round, plus two, minus one

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed May 16, 2018 1:58 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Ard Crags, Dale Head, High Spy, Hindscarth, Knott Rigg, Maiden Moor, Robinson

Hewitts included on this walk: Dale Head, High Spy, Hindscarth, Robinson

Date walked: 06/05/2018

Time taken: 6.75

Distance: 20.4 km

Ascent: 1460m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've enjoyed some fantastic weather this year on my Lakeland wanderings and my rich vein of fortune looked set to continue as I headed cross country as the sun rose under clear blue skies. I'd set off early following a 5 A.M. alarm call in an attempt to get the majority of the climbing done before the heat of the day which was predicted to be scorchio!
My efforts were rewarded with some wonderful sights as some early mist was still hanging around the lakes and part of me wondered if I should have picked a walk up from a lake rather than from the lakeless Newlands valley but in all honesty, as I pulled into the empty car park at Little Town I confess there are few places I'd rather be than here in the most stunning of Cumbrian locations. I'd decided to set off in an anti-clockwise direction and headed along the roads to Rigg Beck to set off up the first target of the day in the shape of Ard Crags.

ImageMorning at Little Town by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageNewlands Skyline by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageScope End by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageNewlands Trees by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHindscarth by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCausey Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBacklit Trees and Cat Bells by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGood Morning Mrs Robinson by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBlencathra by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Road through Newlands by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Even though it was before 8 o'clock, the lack of any breeze made it hot work on the way upwards following the crossing of Rigg Beck and excuses to stop and turn around on the steepest section of the ridge up to Aitkin Knott were readily taken in order to soak in the glorious views behind me. At 581m Ard Crags may not be a particularly high fell, but climbing it before breakfast is hard work and it was a relief once the gradient eased and I got to sit and have my repast all alone, apart from Hughie that is, admiring in the stunning landscapes spread out for my delectation.

ImageArd Crags by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageThree Sheep and the Moon by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAcross to Causey Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageA New Land Breathes by Anthony Young, on Flickr (I recommend clicking on image for big version)

ImageHigh Stile Ridge and Keskadale Edge by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageThree Ridges by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking down to Rigg Beck and Beyond by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageNot a bad spot for Breakfast by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Feeling most refreshed off we set along the ridge, which after being so well formed up to Ard Crags becomes rather flabby and undefined on the way to Knott Rigg. Some of the erosion along this section is quite surprising and worrying, that two such innocuous fells as these are down to the bed rock in places can't be a good sign. Still the views improved again as Knott Rigg was reached and now included some morning mist hanging over Crummock water. Unfortunately a good chunk of the first climb was to be lost as we made our way down, the once again well defined ridge, to Newlands Hause.

ImageRobinson and Keskadale Edge by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Hughie leads the Way by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSail and Crag Hill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageMists over Crummock Water by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHeading down to Newlands Hause by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Having only seen a couple of people so far, who I believe to have wild camped next to Rigg Beck and had a morning jaunt up to Ard Crags, Newlands Hause was quite busy, not particularly with walkers but a general mix of day trippers, sight seers and cyclists. This small crowd was soon left behind however as we set about regaining the lost height on the steep path up to the pleasant grassy top of High Snockrigg. I don't know just what a Snockrigg is, but it's a great view point for Buttermere, Crummock Water and the fine High Stile ridge with its Northern Crags very well seen.

ImageMoss Force by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageKeskadale by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCrummock Water by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHigh Stile from High Snockrigg by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageButtermere from High Snockrigg by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCrummock Water from High Snockrigg by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Next up was a slightly soggy crossing of Buttermere Moss, with the worst easily avoided, before the slog up Robinson. This was hot work sheltered from the breeze but soon enough we breathlessly topped out and were certainly ready for five minutes break sat in the summit shelter (at least I was, Duracell dog was still full of energy :shock: , other brands of battery are available). There was now a steady stream of walkers many of whom were taking part in some sort of orienteering exercise, but this is the lakes on a beautiful Sunday morning in spring so there are always going to be people around.

ImageLooking back from Buttermere Moss by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking to Scotland across Causey Pike and Skiddaw by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageRobinson View by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHughie checking out the Orienteering bag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Another up and down followed this, not as bad as Newlands Hause thankfully, to get to Hindscarth, a spacious bouldery summit with some tremendous views in all directions. We didn't linger too long as I'd decided upon Dale Head as a lunch stop and if I was hungry, Hughie would be ravenous :lol:
Dale Head is an impressive fell with superb views both down the Newlands Valley and over Honister Hause on ascent, but a few photo stops later me and Hughie had summited and found a quietish spot to have lunch.

ImageHonister Hause by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageFleetwith Edge to Scafell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImagePillar from Hindscarth by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHughie exploring Hindscarth Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHigh Spy with the Eastern Fells beyond by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageA glimpse of Keswick by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageThe Mighty Pillar by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageButtermere from Dale Head by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImagePanorama from Dale Head by Anthony Young, on Flickr (I recommend clicking on pic for big version)

ImageHughie has a Break by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHonister Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageDale Head Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHughie larking about as we prepare to have lunch by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Even though I like to take my boots off when I have a decent stop, like for lunch for example, my feet were still hot so I promised myself a nice dangle in Dale Head Tarn once we made our way down. Fortunately the path is in largely good condition so in two shakes of a Westies tail my poor feet were enjoying a most refreshing dip in the cool waters 8)
Being an odd little dog Hughie, doesn't like water much and considered my deliberate foot dunking as quite uncouth. This was nothing however compared to the sight of another dog jumping into the water and having a swim, totally unacceptable according to the thrawn wee beastie who joins me on my hill outings and the relative peace and quiet were shattered by him telling me all about it :roll:

ImageDale Head Tarn by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageDale Head Foot Spa by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Spell of peace broken, it was off upwards again towards a busy High Spy summit which was quickly visited before taking a detour off the main path to High Spy's Northern top above Blea Crags. This is, as AW rightly pointed out, a better view point with the delightful Derwent Water seen in all its glory and we had five minutes finishing off the last of any food while enjoying the vista.

Newlands Beck by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageDale Head by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHigh Spy Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAcross to Grasmoor by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageView from Blea Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

From here it was downhill just about all away as we visited the largely ignored top of Maiden Moor before making our way down the eroded mess of a path to the hause. We probably had enough in the legs to climb Cat Bells, but if l'm honest the sight of the throng atop this small hill did not appeal, so having already been up there twice previously we trudged happily back to Little Town and a now heaving parking area.

ImageHindscarth and Robinson by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageMaiden Moor Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageDerwent Water from Maiden Moor by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCausey Pike and Newlands by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageNewlands Skyline from the Road to Little Town by Anthony Young, on Flickr

This was a terrific walk on a stunning day with enough easy going underfoot to negate some of the distance and ascent which are not inconsequential, it's hard to think of another Lakes walk studded with so many wonderful views almost all with great depth and interest. I do very much love the North Western Fells :D

Newlands.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: A Newlands Round, plus two, minus one

Postby trailmasher » Fri May 18, 2018 4:11 pm

Another fine scamper over and through one of the most delightful parts of the LD JK 8) with the usual top notch photos to record yours and Hughies journey :clap: :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Re: A Newlands Round, plus two, minus one

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu May 31, 2018 10:54 am

trailmasher wrote:Another fine scamper over and through one of the most delightful parts of the LD JK 8) with the usual top notch photos to record yours and Hughies journey :clap: :clap:

Cheers TM, days and hills like this are why we all do this in the first place, I left all the scampering to Hughie btw :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland