walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

What is "your" hill?

What is "your" hill?

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:27 am

I, of course, mean this in the metaphoric sense (unless WH has any wealthy landowning members :shock: ).

What is your Battenburg cake/cup of tea/pair of old joggers that you return to time and again for whatever reason?

For me it's Allermuir Hill in the Pentlands simply due to convenience - I live 5 minutes drive from Hillend ski centre. I must have been up there 50 times via a dozen different routes in all conditions. It keeps me honest (and fit). I've done it in shorts in December and hat & gloves in June. It may not be very high but on a good day you can see Vorlich/Stuc a'Chroin, Beinn Chabhair, Ben Lomond, Cheviot, Isle of May - what a view :D !
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Re: What is "your" hill?

Postby mountain coward » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:34 am

In the Lakes Skiddaw and Grisedale Pike - the former as it's one of my favourites and is very near my caravan up there - the latter 'cos it's my favourite English hill...

In Wales good ol' Snowdon - always my favourite, mainly 'cos of the loadsa routes up it and the fact that you can do traverses of the mountain combined with the Sherpa buses...

In Scotland - dunno yet - anything in the Cairngorms, Ben Challum and a few others...

Round here (t' Dales) possibly Ingleborough or Penyghent - can't decide between them...
mountain coward

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:40 am

mountain coward wrote:In Wales good ol' Snowdon - always my favourite, mainly 'cos of the loadsa routes up it and the fact that you can do traverses of the mountain combined with the Sherpa buses...

Never been to Wales :oops: . Nearest I got was Chester :lol:
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby mountain coward » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:50 am

Well you're a jock - we'll let you off! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby magicdin » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:08 am

Ben Lomond (32 times) + The Cobbler (30 times-although not always to top of Central Peak)
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby malky_c » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:19 am

Varies as I have moved about. Growing up, I'd say Tryfan or Snowdon (20 and 30ish ascents respectively). Living in Dundee, it was Craigowl Hill (30+ ascents) or (a proper mountain) Ben Vrackie (10 ascents).

Now it is probably Cairngorm/Cairn Lochan or Meall Fuar Mhonaidh (8 or 9 ascents each), with Carn na h-Easgain swiftly catching up (5 ascents).

Thought this thread maybe was looking for a favourite hill, which is a question I can't answer, as there are far too many. I like the hills mentioned above in varying degrees, but the main attraction is convenience as much as anything.

Too much information there!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby NickyRannoch » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:17 pm

Similar to Malkys mine would be the infamous "Sidlaw Ridge " from Craigowl, over Balkello (balluderon) to Auchterhouse Hill and even adding on Kinpurney on a good day.

If we are talking munros then Mayar, had climbed Mayar and Dreish about 10 times before doing munro no.3. Not a spectacular or dramatic hill but love the climb through Corrie Fee and the huge skies up on the plateau between Glen Doll and Braemar.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby Red Peak » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:42 pm

Probably Pen-y-ghent as it's the nearest hill of any distinction to where I live and I've done it like a million times. In the Lakes, I have a soft spot for Grisedale Pike and Bow Fell, both for different reasons. In Scotland, Sgorr Dhearg above Ballachulish as it was my first Munro (hence my user-name).

It seems there might be some ownership conflicts with Mountain Coward on some of these though ... :D
Red Peak
Munro compleatist

Munros:260   Corbetts:27
Fionas:23   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:313
Wainwrights:214   

Postby fedupofuserids » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:24 pm

Haven't done many in Scotland - Sgurr Alasdair and the Stone Chute probably most exciting, although the view from the Pap of Glencoe is one of my earliest memories of Scottish mountains.

Closer to my home : High Pike & Carrock Fell, not dramatic but because I find them peaceful rank among my most favourite in the Lakes. Skiddaw for 'fitness'. Great End - central gully in winter. Although many of the Lakeland Fells have good memories so I could list many more.
fedupofuserids

Postby FMCKIE » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:15 pm

Cir Mhor for me. Will eventually spend an eternity there but not to soon I hope.
FMCKIE

Sub 2000:6   

Postby mountain tortoise » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:21 pm

At home Cadair Bronwen and Cadair Berwyn. Pap of Glencoe and Ben Hiant are my favs.
mountain tortoise
Scrambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:56

Postby kinley » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:59 pm

Arthur's Seat - top class Marilyn 20mins from the house :)

In terms of the Highlands - Beinn Macdui - about 25 ascents or near ascents on our 'Gorms wanderings :)
kinley

Postby kerrera » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:45 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:What is your Battenburg cake/cup of tea/pair of old joggers that you return to time and again for whatever reason?

Mine are varied and many. It depends upon time and weather.
kerrera
Scrambler

Munros:45   Corbetts:14
Sub 2000:19   

Postby kinley » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:14 pm

FMCKIE wrote:Cir Mhor for me. Will eventually spend an eternity there but not to soon I hope.

Well I hope you take enough food Fraser. I've heard it's not a place to go hungry :lol:
kinley

Postby Dundreich » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:55 pm

kinley wrote:
FMCKIE wrote:Cir Mhor for me. Will eventually spend an eternity there but not to soon I hope.

Well I hope you take enough food Fraser. I've heard it's not a place to go hungry :lol:

Or to take your knitting :lol:
Dundreich
Mountaineer

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion