walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mun cuairt faisg Dail na Spideal ... Duinish Round

Mun cuairt faisg Dail na Spideal ... Duinish Round

Postby Collaciotach » Fri May 18, 2018 3:50 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Mholach, Meall na Leitreach, Stob an Aonaich Mhòir, The Sow of Atholl

Fionas included on this walk: Creag a'Mhadaidh

Date walked: 17/05/2018

Time taken: 17 hours

Distance: 50.5 km

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Uill tha mi air ais a' ribhist agus mun cuairt air a' bheinn agus tha tìm agam gu sgrìobhte beagan mu dheidhinn an turas ...

It has been a while! . I never seem to find time to write reports these days merely recording the hills i visit that said i have not been bagging much recently but exploring the hills outside my door which reduces the stress of driving on busy roads.

On Thursday i took a couple of days off with the intention of a Loch Cuaich ,Beinn Aodann (Aden) , Sgurr Choire Bheithe over nighter however a dubious Friday forecast swayed me elsewhere.

I eventually plumped for the hills to SW of Dail nam Spideal and the Corbetts around Loch Garry and Duinish bothy. Around 35 years ago i had walked into Duinish in January during heavy snow and stayed a couple of nights at the bothy with friends so a bit of a revisit.

IMG_0667.JPG
Rathad na dròbhairean, Loch Garaidh

The route down the Loch Garry is an ancient "rathad dròbhairean" or droving route and is recorded on Roy's military map of 1746 where it forks to the West and East it would have been well used by foot and horse to avoid the british military posts and patrols on the main route North through Atholl to Druim Uachdar.

A bonnie day which found us an hour and a half later at the foot of the loch and approaching Duinish.

IMG_0668.JPG
Loch Garaidh

IMG_0669.JPG
Bòthan Duinish

This ainmean-àite (place name) fascinates me ! ... The word suggests a site of a fortress (Dùn) and indeed the drumlins do give that aspect if approaching from the Rannoch end ,perhaps a wooden palisade was once in place atop these in the past.

We had a look in the bothy and dumped the heavy rucksack in favour of the day pack and set off up Beinn Mholaich
reaching the summit in around an hour and a half.

IMG_0670.JPG
Mullach Beinn Mholaich

A nice wee hill with extensive views but a bit hazy in today's heat. The plan now was to head for Stob an Aonaich Mhoir on Loch Ericht via the Allt Fèith Gharuaireagan so we set of directly down the hill toward the glen floor on easy ground and following the grassy fèithe (veins) to where the burns split Glas Mheall Mòr. We followed the burn up to the 700m point ,fine today but in a wet spell plenty peat hags to navigate so be aware! .

IMG_0671.JPG
An cù aig an abhainn

Never bothered looking at map really so overshot coming out of the fèithe and ended up to far North almost above the lodge on the shore which caused momentary confusion :) , adjusted and hoofed up to the summit .

IMG_0674.JPG
An mullach Stob

A great spot with fine views over to Beinn Eallair (Alder) , Beinn Bheoil and Loch Earacht .....

IMG_0672.JPG
Loch

A fair hoof in to this point and from Dail nam Spideal so we spent a bit of time on the summit lying in the sun with the boots off and paws in the air .....

The return we took correctly and followed the burns down onto the Allt Shallain to duinish again .....

IMG_0675.JPG
Allt Shallain

At the bòthan we grabbed the rucksack ,far to nice to stay indoors so we set up camp on the edge of the river by the old fang ..a cracking spot.

IMG_0676.JPG
Pùball

IMG_0677.JPG
Pùball agus an cù

IMG_0678.JPG
An sealladh

After dinner we nipped up and onto Creag a' Mhadaidh which offered great views on a fine summer evening

IMG_0679.JPG
Creag a Mhadaidh

Abair latha fada ...what a long day and we slept well by the Abhainn Shallainn fang.... i'd recommend the spot in good weather.

Up at 7am the next morning to another dry but more overcast day and followed the road up behind Meall na Leitreach before walking onto the summit of this undistinguished lump.

IMG_0680.JPG
Loch Meall na Leitereach

I did not linger long on this summit and headed off down the steep slope toward the fields cutting across the sluices toward the track below the Sow of Atholl. From the turning point beside the butts i took the direct route up to this next undistinguished summit :). If the last two were not "ticks" doubt i'd be greatly interested in them both haha.

This is an interesting wee corner of the former Gàidhealtachd now devoid of its native inhabitants. That would appear to be the way the native wildlife is going if the number of traps ,snares and cages are anything to go by on these "grouse moors". Its high time these self appointed "custodians" of the land and their "sporting estates" were properly and thoroughly regulated in the Gàidhealtachd .......preferably out of existence ;).

Cheerie a nis ....
Attachments
IMG_0673.JPG
Faireadh

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Re: Mun cuairt faisg Dail na Spideal ... Duinish Round

Postby mrssanta » Sat May 19, 2018 7:25 pm

Lovely to see a report from your good self again
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Collaciotach » Sun May 20, 2018 8:36 am

Mòran taing :)
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby rockhopper » Sun May 20, 2018 11:35 am

Nice to hear from you again - that looked most enjoyable. Good idea to add on Stob an Aonaich Mhoir - saves the long walk/cycle up from the south. Was up your way over the last few days - nearly popped by :wink: when in Strontian midday on Friday but looks like you'd have been out - some day we may bump into each other - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Collaciotach » Sun May 20, 2018 1:22 pm

Thats a pity RH i was away on Friday..where were you at in the hills here ?
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Bruno » Sun May 20, 2018 2:16 pm

Colla
Great to see you and An Cu back again. Missed your quality reports.
Best
Iain
Bruno
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   Corbetts:117
Fionas:29   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:5   

Postby rockhopper » Sun May 20, 2018 9:29 pm

Collaciotach wrote:Thats a pity RH i was away on Friday..where were you at in the hills here ?

The Ardgour, Kingairloch and Sunart corbetts plus a couple of grahams en route. I decided against the long wild camping round as I didn't feel fit enough - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby iangpark » Mon May 21, 2018 12:13 am

Bit of an unseen before area for me so nice to see what it looks like :) Been trying to learn Gaelic as a hobby for the past few months but am constantly getting distracted...usually by hills :? Your reports always a breath of fresh air in that regard! Cheers
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland