walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn an Tuirc, Cairn of Claise, Glas Maol, Creag Leacach

Carn an Tuirc, Cairn of Claise, Glas Maol, Creag Leacach

Postby zug33 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:05 pm

Route description: Glas Maol Munros circuit, Cairnwell Pass

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol

Date walked: 19/06/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1033m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Very cold and windy to start with but brightened up later (forecast was right for once)
Mike came with me, this was his first munroe walk. Not bad bagging 4 on the first outing.
just read a comment from another member about turning back to Glas Moal from Creag Leacach and walking back down the ski routes I wish I had seen that before we set off. the walk back up hill to ski centre was the worst part of the walk.
zug33
Munro compleatist

Munros:55   Corbetts:18
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Carn an Tuirc, Cairn of Claise, Glas Maol, Creag Leacach

Postby danrun » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:56 pm

that was me, i thot of heading off creag leacach then back up road but didnt fancy the road walk. glad i done it the way i did as came out where car was parked.
weldone on your walk n weldone to mike on his first outing :D
danrun
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:12
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:5   

Postby NickyRannoch » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:02 pm

Did this last weekend, taking in Tom Buidhe as well.

Anbody got any idea how much time/effort you save by skipping the road walk? looking over i thought there is still a fair bit of up and down on grassy terrain and just thought it would be easiest to yomp it out on the road.

Told my girlfriend to wait at the layby at the bottom of Creag Leacach and i would jog up to the car at the other side of the ski centre at the foot of carn an tuirc. Thought it would take me about 20 minutes, ended up taking over an hour! never again.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby DJG78 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:21 am

I am looking to do these munros on Friday. Does anyone think it would be possible to complete the circuit on a mountain bike?
DJG78
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby NickyRannoch » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:20 pm

The ascent to Creag Leacach is pretty bouldery and you would definitely have to carry the bike over this short section. I descended straight down from the summit of creag leacach (very steep)instead of heading round to the second top so I don't know what the terrain is like there but looked like pretty rough and stony ground from where i was.

As a non biker I would say there shouldn't be any major difficulties other than the above but please don't hate me if there is anything i have omitted to mention :)

good luck
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby fingeez » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:56 pm

Hey Zug33 that road section is a nightmare eh lol :)

Hey DJG78 I personally wouldnt use a mountain bike all the way round as Nicky Rannoch said the initial ascent is fairly bouldery and you would def have to carry the bike up 90% of the way, from there you could cycle fairly easily but from Glas Moal it starts getting bouldery again and you'd be carrying the bike up Creag leacach again and the descent either straight down from the summit or going round the next top to the bealach is very steep and bouldery, then following the stream back towards the road theres no way of cycling there and you'd be carrying the bike again. After all that though theres a lovely road you could cycle , although if you look and my report for that walk and Monty's you'll find its a total uphill slog where we both wanted to throw the bikes over the fence and down the slope. Id say the bike def saves time over the road section as bad as the uphill bit is, but would be much easier if possible to have one car at each car park.

Hope this helps lol :)

have fun though its a really good circuit that i loved even if it broke my camera haha
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Munros:115   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:11

Postby monty » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:30 am

I am with Fingeex on this one :D :D
monty

Postby mountain thyme » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:11 pm

Hi..i climbed Cairn an Turic, Tolmount, Tom Bhuidhe, Cairn of Claise, Glas Maol and Creag Leacach on 17th July. I read the forum and reviews and was planning to head back to the Glas Maol and down the ski slopes but my wee legs were getting tired so headed for the road and caught a hitch straight away. One episodeof heavy rain but not a bad day. 7 hours in total including the lift back to the car.. :D well chuffed.
Was supposed to be camping in Invercauld campsite but ended up rough camping in Glenshee as the campsite wardens were extremely rude tosay the least. Had a glass of vino in the Hotel in Braemar and the wee barman said he had heard loads of complaints about the wardens in the campsite!

CLimbed Glas Tulaichean and Carn an Righ on sunday... 6 hours and 45 minutes. Best to park at Dalmunzie hotel.. only costs £2 and saves the 2mile walk back to the car .

Good weekend
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland