walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

McAras Stone and Bothy

McAras Stone and Bothy

Postby Jim777 » Sat May 26, 2018 6:03 pm

Date walked: 26/05/2018

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 655m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've done this walk a few times. It's basically the normal route up A' Bhuidheanach Bheag and then a descent just South of East to the head of Coire Mhic-sith. After that a traverse around the West side of Glas Mheall Mor heading North towards Cuairt Chuile will bring you to the remains of McAras bothy at grid NN 683 773. It is named after one of the McAra gamekeeper family and is located at over 2,800 feet. I have slept in this before, and it was like sleeping in a stone coffin made for two very close friends :D ; sadly it has been allowed to fall into disrepair :( :( . The Dalnacardoch Forest, which this is within is no longer run by the Atholl Estates but hopefully whoever does manage this area will consider restoring it.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

2015-06-23 McARAS STONE & BOTHY 005 WH.jpg
McAras I

2015-06-23 McARAS STONE & BOTHY 013 WH.jpg
McAras II

2015-06-23 McARAS STONE & BOTHY 016 WH.jpg
McAras III
Jim777
Mountain Walker

Re: McAras Stone and Bothy

Postby Jim777 » Sun May 27, 2018 6:33 am

Sorry folks, got the map slightly wrong :(
Jim777
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland