walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

One car, nine Fannichs

One car, nine Fannichs

Postby jenniferc6 » Sun May 27, 2018 12:22 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Chailleach (Fannichs), An Coileachan, Beinn Liath Mhòr Fannaich, Meall a' Chrasgaidh, Meall Gorm, Sgùrr Breac, Sgùrr Mòr, Sgùrr nan Clach Geala, Sgùrr nan Each

Date walked: 26/05/2018

Time taken: 13.75 hours

Distance: 59 km

Ascent: 3100m

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

...And a bike! I’ve been keen to do the 9 Fannichs in a day for a while and with a great forecast I decided to go for it this weekend. I was going by myself so the approach from the South using my bike was the best option and it was also a slightly shorter drive.
I started from Grudie and cycled in along the track until about 1km before Fannich Lodge where I left my bike. I had a false start since my contact lens was playing up so I had to go back to the car to fix it but luckily I was probably less than 1km along the track (made sure I had my glasses in case I needed them on the hill!). It was thick mist on the cycle up but I was hopeful I would break through the cloud once on the hill. As I was climbing, the sun came out and there was a cloud inversion with just the tops of the hills peaking through, always a magical scene
DSC02155.jpg

DSC02172.jpg

I was on the first Munro by about 9am, it was a bit breezy but I would have the wind to my back most of the day and it was fine in the shelter with the sun. I had my shorts on all day but unfortunately just as I was leaving the summit, I stumbled on a loose rock and skinned my knee – typical on one of the few days it’s shorts weather!
I started to meet a few folk on the way to Beinn Liath Mhor Fannaich, there were quite a few people out enjoying the fine weather and taking the chance to do these hills bog free. The cliffs on Sgurr nan Clach Geala looked incredible, I can’t believe I did this one a few year back when there was snow (just as well it was misty I think :shock: )
DSC02193.jpg

DSC02195.jpg

DSC02200.jpg

I left my rucksack to do an out and back for Beinn Liath Mhor Fannaich and Meall a’Chrasgaidh, great to be able to head up and down without carrying my rucksack. It was great walking over the ridges and the views to An Teallach, Fisherfields and Assynt were stunning.
DSC02210.jpg

DSC02212.jpg

DSC02225.jpg

I had decided I would aim for the 7 Munros and see how things were going before deciding whether to do the last 2. With the settled weather and plenty of daylight left I decided to go for the 9. It was a fair drop and re-ascent but I just took it steady and it wasn’t too long in reaching Munro number 8 which was the most Munros I’ve done in a day. A’ Chailleach was a fitting finale for the day with great views of Slioch, the Fisherfields and An Teallach in the afternoon sunshine.
DSC02233.jpg

DSC02244.jpg

DSC02254.jpg

I dropped down from the beallach towards the nest of Fannich, I was glad it was dry since it was quite steep and the grass would be slippery in the wet. Eventually I picked up the path and went past the old bothy – there were at least 3 dead deer inside, maybe from the long winter?
DSC02266.jpg

The walk out along the loch was great in the evening sunshine although it did seem to take a bit longer than expected after a long day on the hills. Eventually I reached my bike and it was fantastic to cycle out mostly downhill to the car park.
DSC02272.jpg

DSC02278.jpg

A very memorable day in the hills for me with weather that couldn’t have been better.
DSC02280.jpg
jenniferc6
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:179
Fionas:42   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:37   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:10

Re: One car, nine Fannichs

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun May 27, 2018 8:03 pm

Wow that is some walk Jennifer, well done. You certainly had decent weather for the monster walk, I was out yesterday and was struggling in the heat in the Borders (WR to follow)
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby jenniferc6 » Tue May 29, 2018 8:12 am

Thanks, it was good to make the most of the long days :D . Luckily there was a bit of a breeze or it would have been boiling, pleased I managed not to get sunburnt - the factor 50 did the trick!
jenniferc6
Walker

Postby zatapathique » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:55 pm

Fantastic walk you've done - 9 in one day, I'm impressed! I went up Sgùrr Breac and A' Chailleach (only) the very same day - fantastic weather indeed. You must have been up these two hills after me, I left A' Chailleach for the car park at around half past three.

I did my own epic walk two days later (Fisherfield), I hope I will find some time in the weeks to come to finally write the report...
zatapathique
Mountain Walker

Munros:96   Corbetts:4
Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:26   

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:41 pm

Well done Jennifer, some effort. We had a bash at the central 3 Fannichs in early May, also from Fannich Lodge, though we foolishly took our bikes all the way to the bothy. The dead deer were inside then too :(
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:52 am

Good trip Jennifer - I have this one pencilled in for a fortnight's time if the weather plays ball. You might even have convinced me to try taking a bike...
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby jenniferc6 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:49 am

Thanks everyone it was a fantastic day :D

zatapathique wrote:Fantastic walk you've done - 9 in one day, I'm impressed! I went up Sgùrr Breac and A' Chailleach (only) the very same day - fantastic weather indeed. You must have been up these two hills after me, I left A' Chailleach for the car park at around half past three.
I must have just missed you at the tops, it was a brilliant weekend for getting out in the hills.

jupe1407 wrote:Well done Jennifer, some effort. We had a bash at the central 3 Fannichs in early May, also from Fannich Lodge, though we foolishly took our bikes all the way to the bothy. The dead deer were inside then too :(
Thanks! The walk back from the bothy did take a bit longer than I anticipated - a few climbs too which might not have been so fun on the bike :lol:

weaselmaster wrote:Good trip Jennifer - I have this one pencilled in for a fortnight's time if the weather plays ball. You might even have convinced me to try taking a bike...
Worth taking the bike just for the cycle out - mostly downhill, just what you need at the end of a long day :)
jenniferc6
Walker

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland