walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Is that a huge cairn or are you pleased to see me?

Is that a huge cairn or are you pleased to see me?

Postby Jaxter » Sun May 27, 2018 9:10 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Mholach

Date walked: 26/05/2018

Time taken: 7.15 hours

Distance: 24.9 km

Ascent: 843m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With 2 days of glorious weather forecast I had a 2 day trek planned; however when I woke up first thing on Saturday I could feel a niggle in my knee. After wandering around the flat and stretching it improved but a 2 dayer didn’t seem like such a great plan after all :shock:

Throwing a dart at the map (not literally – I’d miss :lol: ) I hastily grabbed a different rucksack and jumped in the car, only an hour behind schedule :roll:

Arriving at Loch Rannoch the weather was incredible and the views down Loch Rannoch were awesome 8)

I parked near Craiganour and headed up the track towards the house (not before applying liberal amounts of suncream 8)

A few climbed fences later I was past the house and looking back on Loch Rannoch

I crossed over the wee bridge as I’d noticed a short-cut… :roll:

The bridge led to a weird structure :shock:

I climbed up the side of the bizarre building and crunched my way across heather, which soon became short and very spiky trees which were ripping my legs to shreds :shock: And then it turned out that someone had planted an actual forest since the map was made…. I then had to climb a high deer fence and I was back on the track… so much for shortcuts :roll:

Looking back

I wiped the worst of the blood from my legs and the sweat from everywhere else :lol: But at least I was now on a good track and was able to make some actual progress now :roll:

A first glimpse of Beinn Mholach

Looking back – Schiehallion dominating

It was very very warm and I was noticing the lack of water in all the burns – usually a good thing for me :lol: but potentially an issue for refilling :shock:

Arriving at the Ruidhe an t-Sidhein (which was a wee tin shed) I managed to find some running water for a top-up before turning right on a much less distinct track towards Beinn Mholach.

Schiehallion was still the most striking hill around!

I had scoped out my route up Beinn Mholach as I approached, but now arriving at my hill I actually picked up a wee track which was a bit intermittent but it was nice to have something to follow.

It was somewhere around here that my ribs started hurting….typical :roll: I slowed my pace right down and plodded my way upwards. Plenty of excuses to stop for photos :wink:

Bridge of Orchy and Black Mount hills

Finally at the top I was rewarded with awesome views 8)

Looking down Loch Rannoch towards the Bridge of Orchy and Black Mount hills

Loch Rannoch and Schiehallion

I did wonder this at the time but after checking the map I think this is towards Nevis & the Mamores

This could be the Glencoe hills

Ben Alder

Loch Errochty with Beinn a’ Ghlo behind

Schiehallion

Schiehallion and Loch Rannoch

I sheltered behind the MONSTROUS summit cairn to rest for a while and shelter from the wind (and sun :lol: )

Ben Alder again

The views actually seemed to be getting clearer as I sat in the sun

Jaxter pose!

Quite a striking summit (yes of course I climbed it, sore ribs or no!)

Drumochter hills

This gave me an idea of where I was going next!

After I had sat in the sun for ages I reckoned it was time to get going. I headed down the ridge towards Creag nan Gabhar, following a nice wee path this time.

Looking back, the cairn looked insanely huge :shock:

Looking to Ben Alder again

Schiehallion again

The descent here was a joy – there was a path and the estate had put planks of wood across the boggy bits (which weren’t boggy as everything was bone dry 8) ) and before long I was able to see Duinish Bothy

Meall na Leitreach and Loch Garry – which gave me a few ideas for when I come to climb this hill

Crossing over the track I made a wee diversion to Duinish Bothy which was very clean and tidy and well stocked. There were a lot of newspaper cuttings in one of the rooms which was a wee bit odd…. :shock:

I had another wee rest (I mean suncream stop :wink: ) outside the bothy as I contemplated the 8km walk back to the car (Yes, I got the map out and counted :shock: )

Looking back to Loch Garry (and the A9 in the background)

Beinn Mholach

Loch Garry again

Loch Garry and Meall na Leitreach

Duinish Bothy

I’ll admit that this section wasn’t my favourite bit of the day :lol: The scenery was lovely but my ribs were hurting and it was SO hot :shock:

Looking back – Beinn Mholach again

A last glance

Oh look who’s back :lol:

Loch Rannoch again

Any excuse for a breather – a panorama

Nearly back at Craiganour….

Back at the car I discovered that my Twix had melted :( Gutted…. After cooling off I drove down the road a bit and found myself an awesome camp spot with a wee sun trap 8)

It was a gorgeous spot, with enough of a breeze to keep the bugs away. I had an awesome evening with no phone signal :thumbup:

It was such a lovely evening that I finally crawled into bed and left the tent open to enjoy the fresh air….which meant when I woke up at 2am I was able to play with night mode from the warmth of my cocoon :thumbup:

The next time I woke up it was light and shaping up to be an awesome morning!

I dozed for a while before getting a brew on :thumbup:

Eventually I got myself together and packed up. Looking down Loch Rannoch from Kinloch Rannoch

I had decided to preserve the ribs by not walking today so went for a relaxed drive home, stopping off for a wander followed by tea and cake in Kinloch Rannoch….

The church where I did a concert about 5 years ago…

The same shot of Schiehallion that I got 5 years ago

The one from 5 years ago….

Loch Tummel

Loch Tummel from the Queen’s View

It was nice to be home nice and early, although I still didn’t manage to get my washing done :lol:

Beinn Mholach.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Is that a huge cairn or are you pleased to see me?

Postby malky_c » Sun May 27, 2018 10:29 pm

Was waiting for this to see where that weird building was - took a slightly different route up from Loch Rannoch last time I was at Duinish so wouldn't have gone past it. Odd indeed.

Nice day out, although like me it seems you will never learn about daft shortcuts :roll: :lol: . While the hills don't look overly exciting,there's a great mixture of remoteness and glimpses or Glencoe etc. Duinish is a great bothy too, if you're ever back there again.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Mal Grey » Mon May 28, 2018 10:47 am

Well, that's a pretty remote one to have such a massive cairn on top! Somebody must love it.

That building thing is weird. I assume its this, which makes it arguably even weirder: http://craiganour.co.uk/skyspace.html
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby walkingpoles » Mon May 28, 2018 5:56 pm

Great trip and report! I am always puzzled to find these humongous cairns on top of hills. I never found a sensible explanation for their existence nor an indication of their age.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby Jaxter » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:18 pm

malky_c wrote:Was waiting for this to see where that weird building was - took a slightly different route up from Loch Rannoch last time I was at Duinish so wouldn't have gone past it. Odd indeed.

Nice day out, although like me it seems you will never learn about daft shortcuts :roll: :lol: . While the hills don't look overly exciting,there's a great mixture of remoteness and glimpses or Glencoe etc. Duinish is a great bothy too, if you're ever back there again.

Yes - I shoud have learned by now :roll: :roll:
Duinish does look great! I'll have to find an excuse to go back :D

Mal Grey wrote:Well, that's a pretty remote one to have such a massive cairn on top! Somebody must love it.

That building thing is weird. I assume its this, which makes it arguably even weirder: <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://craiganour.co.uk/skyspace.html</span>

I know right...imagine all that effort :shock:
That is a bizarre building.... :shock:

walkingpoles wrote:Great trip and report! I am always puzzled to find these humongous cairns on top of hills. I never found a sensible explanation for their existence nor an indication of their age.

Thanks - aye it does seem a bit overkill.... Some of the hills nearby also looked like they had massive cairns on them. Maybe something about the area... :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby past my sell by date » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:59 pm

It sure is a good cairn and a nice remote hill, but how come you left out Creag a Mhadaidh. Yoiu were within a km and 150m of it. Not like you to miss out on a "defenceless" Graham :lol: :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby weedavie » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:32 am

First time I was on Beinn Mholach I was coming back from Stob an Aonaich Mhoir. It's pretty undulating so you can see that monstroso cairn from a long distance. So you think it's a small cairn and you're nearly there..... Arrival feels like hours later and you're wondering where your fitness has gone (even more so when you reach your bike at Loch Garry.).
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Postby Jaxter » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:34 pm

past my sell by date wrote:It sure is a good cairn and a nice remote hill, but how come you left out Creag a Mhadaidh. Yoiu were within a km and 150m of it. Not like you to miss out on a "defenceless" Graham :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was in pain :lol: I figured unnecessary walking was a bad idea. And another "excuse" to go back :wink:

weedavie wrote:First time I was on Beinn Mholach I was coming back from Stob an Aonaich Mhoir. It's pretty undulating so you can see that monstroso cairn from a long distance. So you think it's a small cairn and you're nearly there..... Arrival feels like hours later and you're wondering where your fitness has gone (even more so when you reach your bike at Loch Garry.).

Haha i could see that on the way back down, but on my way up I only saw it when I was a couple metres from the top :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:46 pm

Jaxter wrote:
past my sell by date wrote:It sure is a good cairn and a nice remote hill, but how come you left out Creag a Mhadaidh. Yoiu were within a km and 150m of it. Not like you to miss out on a "defenceless" Graham :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was in pain :lol: I figured unnecessary walking was a bad idea. And another "excuse" to go back :wink:
:

But that's never stopped you before - I seem to remember you carried on up Cruachan with broken ribs :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby Jaxter » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:50 pm

past my sell by date wrote:
Jaxter wrote:

:

But that's never stopped you before - I seem to remember you carried on up Cruachan with broken ribs :lol:

That is a very good point :lol: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland