walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Five & a half years later............Fisherfield falls

Five & a half years later............Fisherfield falls

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon May 28, 2018 4:57 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Mhaighdean, Beinn Tarsuinn, Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair, Ruadh Stac Mòr

Date walked: 26/05/2018

Time taken: 18 hours

Distance: 42.1 km

Ascent: 2554m

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

no 23.jpg
August 18th 2012 I first made what turned out to be a futile attempt on what was at the time the Big 6 a horseshoe of Munros in the wilderness of the Fisherfield Forest,that weekend I only managed 2 of the 6 from Sheneval Beinn a" Chalaidheimh & Sgurr Ban my walking partners that day continued on and completed the round while I headed back to Sheneval with my friend jonny616 who kindly came back with me,a sickness bug had done for me that day and plans were hatched for a return,in the week that followed,4 days to be more precise Beinn a"Chlaidheimh was demoted to Corbett status, in the intervening years all me walking friends had managed to complete the now big 5,I however for one reason or another had never managed to return.
Fast forward to May 2018 & here I was parked at Incheril with 2 very good friends pollyh who has completed & lady in Ivan,with only 4 Munros left to bag in the round a plan was put together to walk in from the Heights of Kinlochewe and camp at Loch Fadha,bags packed and we were of around 4:00pm and a steady pace was kept up that saw is setting up camp around 7:30pm at Loch Fadha.
An early night was planned as we wanted an early start the next morning........3:30am and the alarm goes off,we have breakfast & break camp at 4:20am and were on our way contouring round Loch Fadha and taking a nice easy rising traverse to the bealach between Beinn Tarsuinn & A"Mhaighdean where we attack the grassy ramp up & onto A"Mhaighdean arguably the remotest Munro in Scotland a nice steady pace see us at the summit for 8:00am and the views are as majestic as we could have imagined,we linger here a while taking in the amazing views and very reluctantly drag ourselves away heading to Ruadh Stac Mor,from afar the slopes look impossible to reach the summit,but a fine path weaves between & around any crags and in just over an hour the 2nd summit is reached,the obligatory pictures are taken before we back track from where we have just came and once down on flatter ground we have a long and very welcome break.
Our next objective is a traverse round the lower slopes of A"Mhaighdean to once again gain the bealach between A"Mhaighdean & Tarsuinn where we attack the steep ascent to gain the ridge of Tarsuinn just before the famous "tennis court" a small descent comes after this before a very easy climb leads to summit no3 Beinn Tarsuinn,another longish break here is required as by now the blistering sun is starting to take its toll on the now 3 weary travellers.This is where we part company for the time being with lady in Ivan(she having already done Tarsuinn & MCMF) and her planter starting to play up she will head back to the tents at Loch Fadha and a well deserved rest.
So 3 has now become 2 and from this point on my thanks must go to pollyh who coaxed,cajouled & generally kicked my butt from here over to the top of Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair,I must confess here & now if I had been on my own I would have bailed once we started the climb up the boulder & scree as by this time I was well & truly burst.We only took the pictures required here before returning back down our ascent route & picking up a fine path that drops you back down to Loch Fadha and our tents where lady in Ivan was waiting for us to return.
Now came decision time do we stay another night at Fadha,the time is now 6:45pm or do we take the long walk back to Kinlochewe,a show of hands is required and we all agree to pack up & head home,we eventually break camp at 7:30pm and begin the 11k trudge back to civilisation and Kinlochewe,surprisingly we knock off the 11 klicks in under 3 hrs & arrive back at the cars at 10:15pm the 3 of us are well and truly knackered but still buzzing from the whole Fisherfield experience.We now part company with lady in Ivan as she has her campervan in the carpark and intends staying the night where as myself & pollyh now have a long long drive back to Stirling where we arrive at 3:45am on Sunday morning, so 23 & a half hours after starting of from Loch Fadha on our Fisherfield adventure I think we can safely say that was AN EPIC.

Time & distance does not include the time sleeping in the tents @ Loch Fahda.

Well what can I say,Fisherfield lived up to everything I expected and so much more.
Am I glad I waited all this time to return,well yes & no,so much has happened at home since my last visit things I would never have imagined,I may be nearly 6 years older,but am I any wiser............I think not.
My thanks must go to my 2 companions on this epic trip.......Paulene Henderson.... pollyh.... & Deborah Anderson... lady in Ivan, hope they dont mind me using there correct names,but it just did not seem fair to call them by their WH names,they deserve so much more than made up names,without them this trip & TR would never have happened,once again from the bottom of my heart thankyou both for everything.

PS.......I hope the pictures taken on my wee point & shoot do Fisherfield justice.

no 1.jpg
no 2.jpg
no 3.jpg
no 4.jpg
no 5.jpg
no 6.jpg
no 7.jpg
no 8.jpg
no 9.jpg
no 10.jpg
no 11.jpg
no 13.jpg
no 14.jpg
no 15.jpg
no 16.jpg
no 17.jpg
no 18.jpg
no 19.jpg
no 20.jpg
no 21.jpg
no 21.jpg
no 22.jpg
no 23.jpg
no 24.jpg
no 25.jpg
Last edited by gammy leg walker on Mon May 28, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: Five & a half years later............Fisherfield falls

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon May 28, 2018 5:13 pm

no 26.jpg
no 27.jpg
no 28.jpg
no 29.jpg
no 30.jpg
no 31.jpg
no 32.jpg
no 33.jpg
no 34.jpg
no 35.jpg
no 36.jpg
no 37.jpg
no 38.jpg
no 39.jpg
no 41.jpg
no 40.jpg
no 42.jpg
no 43.jpg
no 44.jpg
no 45.jpg
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby mrssanta » Mon May 28, 2018 5:24 pm

Oh brilliant, just magic! We were up Ben Avon the same day and it was fab though more hazy than you had.
That's a brute of a long day!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Morecambe Monkey » Mon May 28, 2018 6:00 pm

Top stuff Gammy,chuffed as owt for you. And a clag free day too,whatever will happen to your reputation? :D And as for that walk back out to Incheril from Lochan Fada,i was literally broken after doing that the other Friday!
Morecambe Monkey
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:43   Donalds:40
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:143
Wainwrights:214   Islands:28

Postby pollyh33 » Mon May 28, 2018 6:16 pm

Absolutely wonderful Willie. :clap:

I am so chuffed to have been part of this epic day out - thank you for the invite xxxx

PS bailing on the 4th was never an option!
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby pollyh33 » Mon May 28, 2018 6:19 pm

NB Everyone should take Debs on their walks- she makes everything fun!
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby mountainsofscotland » Mon May 28, 2018 7:12 pm

Well done Willie, a great circuit of hills.
mountainsofscotland

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:376   Hewitts:126
Wainwrights:150   Islands:49

Postby IreneM » Mon May 28, 2018 7:23 pm

Just fabulous Willie!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
IreneM
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:195
Fionas:13   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:14

Postby Mal Grey » Mon May 28, 2018 10:25 pm

Great stuff! What a fabulous place it is, I really need to get back there and finish the set!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Sick Kid » Mon May 28, 2018 11:40 pm

Nice one Gammy! :clap: The Fisherfields are a place of legend and one to be relished, you were right not to rush it....I’d like to go back and do them at a more leisurely pace :wink:
Sick Kid
Mountain Walker

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+50
Sub 2000:364   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:13   

Postby dawnfoth » Tue May 29, 2018 8:02 am

Just superb Willie! Well done! You've probably been dreading these for a while. I know I am! :roll: Amazing photos :D x
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Munros:269   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:11   Islands:6

Postby malky_c » Tue May 29, 2018 5:15 pm

Glad you made it - the great weather makes me think you are losing your reputation! That's a hell of a long day out on day 2 :shock:
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue May 29, 2018 8:39 pm

mrssanta wrote:Oh brilliant, just magic! We were up Ben Avon the same day and it was fab though more hazy than you had.
That's a brute of a long day!

Many thanks for the reply mrssanta

We did think of a 2nd night camping,but we were low on water & only snacks left on the food front,so it made sense to head back to Incherill where we had left food in the car,
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue May 29, 2018 8:42 pm

Morecambe Monkey wrote:Top stuff Gammy,chuffed as owt for you. And a clag free day too,whatever will happen to your reputation? :D And as for that walk back out to Incheril from Lochan Fada,i was literally broken after doing that the other Friday!

Cheers MM you may be right my reputation lies in tatters just now with the weather I had in Knoydart two weeks previous and now this.
That walk out on Saturday night was the work of the devil.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue May 29, 2018 8:45 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Absolutely wonderful Willie. :clap:

I am so chuffed to have been part of this epic day out - thank you for the invite xxxx

PS bailing on the 4th was never an option!

An epic trip it most certainly was,but a memorable one none the less.

As for bailing............I wouldn"t have dared bail,you"d have killed me.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland