walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Mairg group

Carn Mairg group

Postby mrssanta » Mon May 28, 2018 9:34 pm

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 21/05/2018

Time taken: 8 hours

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was the start of a week's break when we had originally intended to go North and spend a couple of nights camping in the Deargs. But MWIS had indicated that a front was a bit stuck over the North Highlands and it was likely to be good pretty much everywhere else. So we decided to delay the Deargs for a day and pick off the Carn Mairg group, thinking May was a good time of year for this circuit, avoiding any possible conflict with sporting activities.
I was involved in musical activities on Sunday afternoon so we left Yorkshire on Sunday evening to drive to Dunfermline where there is a travelodge. On Monday morning we found Greggs in Dunfermline for breakfast and thence to Invervar. There were already several cars in the car park and we faffed around a bit with boots and picnics getting away at about 11am.
The route leads through some pretty woodland then into an area which has been clear felled with the remnants of felling scattered across the path; this must have been quite tricky to negotiate immediately after the felling as no attempt seems to have been made to keep the path clear of debris.
P5211550 (Custom).JPG
choice of stile or gate

P5211551 (Custom).JPG
maybe we'll go for the gate on the way back???

P5211552 (Custom).JPG
bit of a scruffy path

Polite notices request that you follow the green and orange poles and as we had no reason to want to go any other route we followed their suggestion.
The route follows a track which leads up towards Carn Gorm to a small hydro dam and then invites you to cross the burn by a rather exciting bridge; I wonder what the legalities of this would be if the bridge broke under a walker.
P5211557 (Custom).JPG
duty of care?

We forgot to fill our water bottles from the burn but were pleased to find a small stream crossing the path a little further up, and then it was a nice steady climb with a few little flatter areas to break it up, reaching the top of Carn Gorm at the same time as a father and son pair who had set off a few minutes before us. We were soon caught up by another pair who passed us and were well ahead in double quick time.
P5211563 (Custom).JPG
An Sgorr in the middle and Meall Garbh on the right

P5211566 (Custom).JPG
looking over to Ben Lawers

P5211567 (Custom).JPG
Me on summit number one Carn Gorm

En route to Meall Garbh we took a wee detour to the intermediate top of An Sgorr which had great views into Glen Lyon.
P5211574 (Custom).JPG
rudolph on An Sgorr looking down Glen Lyon

Rudolph then bounced on ahead and got to the shelter near the top of Meall Garbh about 3 minutes and 47 seconds before me (or thereabouts) where he got the stove on for a brew and lunch. We had leftover cold pizza, which by the time we ate it was more like crumbs, cheese and vegetables mixed in a bag, and a Greggs Belgian Bun which was very sticky. It was very cold and the shelter was not very deep so we were a bit chilly when we got going again.
P5211575 (Custom).JPG
Rudolph on summit no. 2 with its peculiar cairn, Meall Garbh

P5211577 (Custom).JPG
Our hills were clear of cloud but as the afternoon proceeded the cloud was gradually lifting off the Lawers group; here Ben Lawers is still in the cloud but all its friends are now free.

However once moving and out of the wind we warmed up and it was a lovely walk across the tops to Carn Mairg itself.
P5211581 (Custom).JPG
Schiehallion appearing to the north

P5211583 (Custom).JPG
very pretty salmon coloured blobs which looked like the fruiting bodies of a lichen. A google search shows this to be "fairy barf" !!

P5211586 (Custom).JPG
cloud now lifted from Ben Lawers

Just short of the summit we found a lovely warm, sheltered spot behind a rock looking over to Schiehallion, where we stopped for a second brew and lunch and a wee rest.
P5211588 (Custom).JPG
interesting bit of mountain architecture near our picnic spot - is it a stile over a now-defunct fence perhaps?

P5211591 (Custom).JPG
my new camera has a rather good x4 macro setting with which I took this photo of the brick red lichen on the rock at the picnic spot

P5211594 (Custom).JPG
top of Carn Mairg

P5211596 (Custom).JPG
and again, Scheihallion behind

P5211598 (Custom).JPG
Ben Lawers group from the interesting summit of Carn Mairg

We took a steep route off Carn Mairg and it didn't take long from there to the summit of Meall na Aighen with some interesting rocks on the top.
P5211599 (Custom).JPG
The way ahead to the final munro of the day Meall na Aighean

P5211603 (Custom).JPG
cloud coming in over Carn Gorm and Meall Garbh

P5211606 (Custom).JPG
Rudolph on summit 4

P5211608 (Custom).JPG
and me

P5211609 (Custom).JPG
and the Happy Mugs. Mustn't forget them!

From there a path goes to the other top so we went there too before descending down the nose back down to Invervar.. The last bit of the descent was a bit brutal on the knees and we could not really understand why we were asked to descent straight down the ridge rather than following the stalkers' path we could see, but we were not looking for an argument with anyone so we did as requested, again meeting up with the father and son in the car park at about 7pm.
P5211612 (Custom).JPG
three quarters of the way down we cross this stalkers path/track which goes into the corrie to a wee hut.

P5211613 (Custom).JPG
not far to go now, the last bit of descent to Invervar and the view up Glen Lyon - the cloud now come down again over Ben Lawers, but we have had four cloud free munros :-)

From there we set off for Inverness to spend another night in a comfy bed before our planned trip to the Deargs, and were interested (and pleased from our perspective as it showed we had made the right decision,) to hear that it had chucked it down all day in Inverness, and was still dreich and cold when we arrived.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: Carn Mairg group

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Tue May 29, 2018 8:23 am

Great report and photos!

I have heard of Fairy Barf but never seen it!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Jim777 » Tue May 29, 2018 3:13 pm

Great report. :clap: :clap: How big were the individual pieces of Fairy Barf; must admit I've never heard of it before?
Jim777
Mountain Walker

Postby mrssanta » Wed May 30, 2018 6:30 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Great report and photos!

I have heard of Fairy Barf but never seen it!

Tim

thanks, I'd never seen it before but Google found a picture for ID
Jim777 wrote:Great report. :clap: :clap: How big were the individual pieces of Fairy Barf; must admit I've never heard of it before?

thank you :-). The pink dots were about 2-3 mm across. quite striking on a grey rock when you are watching your feet!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Wed May 30, 2018 6:48 pm

Lovely - never heard of Fairy Barf either, but it's real photogenic :lol: :lol:

PS How come someone who lives in north Yorkshire is romping through the Munros faster than someone who lives in the Highlands??? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby mrssanta » Wed May 30, 2018 8:32 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Lovely - never heard of Fairy Barf either, but it's real photogenic :lol: :lol:

PS How come someone who lives in north Yorkshire is romping through the Munros faster than someone who lives in the Highlands??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh it's called being obsessional I think! and possibly a bit concerned our legs might give out before we compleat!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland