walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

I actually enjoyed these two...

I actually enjoyed these two...

Postby KatTai » Thu May 31, 2018 1:15 pm

Route description: Càrn na Caim and A'Bhuidheanach Bheag, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: A' Bhuidheanach Bheag, Càrn na Caim

Date walked: 30/05/2018

Time taken: 4.4 hours

Distance: 19 km

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I always read through trip reports when deciding what walks to do, and this one wasn't getting good reports and are two of the lowest rated of the Munros but the walk sounded pretty easy going for a hot clear day and I figured I'd go for it anyway! Looking at the ones I've done on the ratings list I've done far more on the bottom end of the table than the top end so maybe I don't have very high expectations or am just easily pleased :lol:

We parked up in the layby and followed the track up and up and up, first part was pretty boring but we reached the crossroads and turned to the right to head to A'Bhuidheanach Bheag first following a clear track. I was attracted to a quartz cairn, and this caused a bit of a 'ohh shiny' distraction so I missed noticing another track heading downhill opposite the cairn and went straight on instead - oops! No matter, rather than retracing my steps I headed in a line down to rejoin the other track, though this would probably not be possible when it isn't as dry as what it has been. Back on a clear track I followed a grassy trail uphill that did eventually disappear but I just kept heading up and the summit soon came into view along with some fence posts where a track was rejoined again that led pretty much all the way to the first summit of the day. From here I retraced my steps back down the first section and found traces of the path marked on the map and on Viewranger, but that vanished into nothing. It was a case of heading downhill in the direction of the quartz cairn, again easy enough with the ground so dry. Back on the main track we headed back towards the crossroads and were joined by another walker for a short time (who had also gone straight on at the quartz cairn so it isn't just me :lol: ) before he went on ahead and Moss stopped to have a play in one of the snow patches. There were a pair of golden plover by the fence posts cutting across to Carn na Caim, so we stuck to the track rather than cutting the corner. It was an easy walk following the track and there we were on the second summit of the day. From there it was a case of following the track all the way back down again!

Overall a walk I very much enjoyed in clear conditions, though I can imagine it would be much less fun in boggy conditions or poor visibility.

1.jpg

5.jpg
Quartz cairn

7.jpg
Quartz rocks (I like quartz!)

13.jpg
A'Bhuidheanach Bheag - Munro 35 for me and 33 for Moss

16.jpg
Snow stop!

19.jpg
Summit roll

21.jpg
Carn na Caim - Munro 36 for me and 34 for Moss
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Re: I actually enjoyed these two...

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu May 31, 2018 1:28 pm

Love the summit roll!

Personally I don't think there are "better" and "worse" hills. They are just all different!

The extraordinary thing about walking in Scotland is the amazing variety in such a small area.

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Re: I actually enjoyed these two...

Postby KatTai » Thu May 31, 2018 4:26 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Love the summit roll!

It has became a tradition, at the summit (assuming it is safe!) she gets to have a good roll :lol: If she can't be off lead she tries to roll anyway but a bit more difficult when she's on the lead and usually ends up in a tangled mess!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland