walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Torridon weekend

Torridon weekend

Postby Benaden887 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:25 pm

Fionas included on this walk: An Ruadh-mheallan, Beinn a' Chearcaill

Date walked: 25/05/2018

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 19.5 km

Ascent: 1220m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The KMC are at the Ling Hut in Torridon this w/e. According to the huts ledger, over 10years since we were last here. Well remembered. On a better day, from the green hut thro Flowerdale forest with Kenny, for Baosbhienn. He, after climbing Beinn an Eion, returned for the car – while I, with a backdrop of Carn Eighe, Liagath`s Northern corries and Beinn Dearg, - crossed an expanse of scrub, bog land and lochans, for Bealach a Chomhla and the Ling hut. Some day !

An Ruadh-mheallan. 7 km 470m 4h 25/05/2018

An early start finds me by 11am on the single-track road to Diabaig for this graham. Park at the stunning viewpoint of Bealach na Gaoithe as the warm weather continues, 26c. Lite gear on, I climb N over a wee top. Dempster says the way up is twisted - it is. Marking a power pylon, for the return, I wind my way round lochans, bogs and rises to reach a small lochan, where the going rises sharply. Steep scree, heather and grass as I fight my way up. Insects rise in the waves of heat. I mark loch nan Trieileanan as another pointer on my return. The uphill continues, a wee lochan at 500m, then a steeper pull of 180m, climbing on Sandstone tiers to reach a large cairn@671m. Rest here and take on fluids. I`m looking at the back of Alligan and the great Corbett wilderness beyond. A superb vista over Loch Torridon, Beinn Damp and my next call Beinn h-Eaglaise. North, a chain of four tops on a NE- NW heading looks interesting, but a map check shows it adds an extra 6.2km to my day – then return, so not today in 29c. I drop down SE and contour until I can see the lochan, then back to up down and round before a reaching the car. Debunk the gear, dry off my socks and top, I’m pleased my fabric boots held up. On reaching the Torridon village shop, I buy milk then, carry on and reach the Ling c/p just as the rest of the team arrives.
Together we carry our sleeping gear, bags and food, then walk the 800m around the lochan to our w/e abode.

Beinn a` Chearcaill. 12.5km 750m 5h 26/05/2018

The A team rose at 2am this morning, the aim being to catch the sunrise from Liathach. Last nite I wished them well, never heard them leave, and woke at my usual 6am. Breakfast, porridge and fruit, a cup of tea and I’m ready to go. A832 Loch Maree, Glen Grundie, gear up but take trainers this time, to see how they pan out. Early morn, it`s cold, with a wind and clear, so I wear a top. Pass a white cottage and head for a power pylon, then old fence posts on a decent stalkers path that climbs into the glen. Great views now of Slioch and Meall a` Ghiuthais all climbed long ago. A new hydro dam below and here a cairn shows the path up Coire Briste. An easy 1.6k climbs steadily to reach a wide col between Chearcaill and Coineach Beag my intended descent route. The track is marked here with a twin cairn stack, proves harder to find on the way back. The rising ground undulates, boulder strewn with bog and lochans, each holding a fair amount of water, considering the dry weather. Crossing one such grassy green patch when suddenly I’ve got wet feet. A quick scramble to drier ground sees the trainers squelching out water. I sit on a warm sandstone block, drying socks and shoes, then shod again climb another rise, cross a basin and finally reach a stone studded flat area with small lochans and a large cairn@ 725m. Awesome views of Ruadh Stac Beag and Mor, Sail Mor`s gully wall I climbed when starting Beinn Eighe`s long ridge. Liagach`s Northern Corries and Beinn Dearg. I roam the E side of the flat top to Creag na Feol, before making a return to the bowl. A wind is still there but heat is rising the sight of the twin cairns wins as I return the way I came, meeting a woman who’d missed the cairn turn so had to back track. The walkout was as easy as the way in. A good day
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland