walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Long walk in longer walk out

Long walk in longer walk out

Postby Coop » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:48 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chaorainn & Beinn Bhreac

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaorainn (Cairngorms), Beinn Bhreac

Date walked: 01/06/2018

Time taken: 7.75 hours

Distance: 29 km

Ascent: 878m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

But I did see a family of oyster catcher chicks on the road to Glenshee. And a herd of deer when I was between Beinn Bhreac and Beinn a Chaorain.
And a snake- 1st one ive ever seen in Scotland wayhey. Dark with some yellow on it. Checked and its a grass/water snake

Got up to linn o dee and kipped in the car for a few hours. Got out of the doss bag about half 4 and wxlking by quarter past 5.
Had to beat the rain / thunderstorms which were forecast.
Very peaceful and tranquil up top today. No wind no one else- vast openness.
Great views across to Bheinn Mheadhoin from a Chaorain- all round really.
Descended from Beinn a Chaorain and didn't really expect the scree. If you don't like scree go a bit further and then descend to the path.
Beat the rain but it let rip on the way back down the A9. Couple of accidents couple of big traffic jams.
Great day - hot walking back from Derry lodge.
Note to self - invest in a bike ya miserable so and so. :D

Cheers
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Re: Long walk in longer walk out

Postby prog99 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:44 pm

Very unlikely to be a grass snake. Adders come in quite a few colours and I know they are common there.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Re: Long walk in longer walk out

Postby Coop » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:56 pm

prog99 wrote:Very unlikely to be a grass snake. Adders come in quite a few colours and I know they are common there.

Glad I left it alone then. As i was fumbling trying to get the camera out, it made it to the reeds and wee boggy bit. Was also treated to 2 typhoons which were up going back and forth a few times.
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland