walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lui

Ben Lui

Postby U059361 » Thu May 31, 2018 12:58 pm

Route description: Ben Lui and Beinn a'Chlèibh

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlèibh, Ben Lui

Date walked: 30/05/2018

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1078m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the long dry spell I thought this would be the ideal opportunity to do a walk that is normally ranked boggy factor 3 and involves wading across a river, yup, Ben Lui fit the bill perfectly. It proved the right decision. I managed to get over the Lochy using boulders and barely got my boots wet. The climb up through the forest was bouncy rather than boggy and any wet bits were easily avoided. Even the slope of Ben Lui was pretty dry and once up at the ridge, the walk to the top, then over to Beinn a'Chleibh and back down the corrie to the trees again was good walking. The view from the top of Ben Lui makes the climb worthwhile as there isn't much to see till then and it goes spectacular. Beinn a'Chleibh is barely worth the bother other than to tick it off. I cannot imagine going back.
ImageFionn Choirein and Ben Lui by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageStrath of Orchy from Ben Lui slopes by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageCairn before true top of Ben Lui by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageEast side of Ben Lui top by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageCairn and Top of Ben Lui by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBen Lui ridge by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBen Oss from Ben Lui by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBen Lui from Beinn a'Chleibh by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBeinn a'Chleibh top view by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBeinn a'Chleibh and Fionn Choirein by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

Re: Ben Lui

Postby Bmg99 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:41 pm

Good photos and wise choice in picking this hill after a dry spell.
Bmg99
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:3

Postby rockhopper » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:47 pm

Nice day for it - have passed by a few times recently and the snow has rapidly disappeared of late. Just occurred to me that your total ascent for these two munros is about the same as I needed for one corbett earlier this week - so much for taking it easier as I get older :crazy: :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby BlackPanther » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:14 am

Lovely :D A ridgewalk just up my street! This duo is still on my to-do list. I'd probably use the eastern route from Tyndrum though. We climbed the nearby Corbett two weeks ago, Beinn Chuirn, I loved the look of the east-facing corries of Lui :D Hopefully weather holds!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland