walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mullardoch Munros with added boat trip

Mullardoch Munros with added boat trip

Postby thorburn7 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:10 pm

Route description: The Loch Mullardoch Munros

Munros included on this walk: An Riabhachan, An Socach (Mullardoch), Càrn nan Gobhar (Loch Mullardoch), Sgùrr na Lapaich

Date walked: 12/05/2018

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1662m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the weekend weather set to bring warm clear skies I though it was time to venture back to the Northwest highlands. This has been an area I've rarely visited since I started Munrobagging but having exhausted the great majority of hills south of the Great Glen I thought I should get up that direction whenever I can now.
My friends and I agreed on tackling the Loch Mullardoch circuit. 4 Munros in a day was a good pay off for travelling so far from home. We set off from Greenock on Friday and chose Beauly as our base for the weekend. The campsite at Beauly is great and its close to the town for food.

On saturday morning we left Beauly at 7am and drove to our starting point at the Loch Mullardoch Dam via Cannich. We got to the Dam about 8:15am which gave us plenty of time before our pre-arranged ferry service.
I had called Angus the boatman during the week to check availability of getting the boat to the opposite end of the walk and cut out a lengthy walk along the side of the loch in this circuit. £25pp is a wee bit steep but I really appreciated this later in the day.

First view of the loch at 8:30am. Angus met us with his boat here before the 10min journey up the loch to the drop off point.
ImageLoch Mullardoch Circuit by Matthew Thorburn, on Flickr

Looking up towards An Socach after getting off the boat.

Bit of boggy ground to cover on the ascent up An Socach. Thankfully the last few days had been quite dry and this provided no issues.

Got to the top of An Socach about 11:30am.

Summit selfie on An Socach.

Great ridge walk on the cards today in perfect conditions.

Looking back at An Socach as we ascent An Riabhachan.

Onwards to Munro number 2.
ImageUntitled by Matthew Thorburn, on Flickr

Summit of An Riabhachan at 13:00.

Our highest Munro of the day in sight. Sgurr na Lapaich.

Was quite a slog up on the summit but well worth it for the views.

Summit of Sgurr na Lapaich at 16:30.

Spent a great deal of time on the summit taking in the landscape. Absolutely stunning.

Summit of Carn nan Gobhar at 18:00.

Was quite surprised to get back to the car at 20:00. We decided to drop down off the summit and meet the path on the opposite side of Allt Mullardoch.
Fantastic day out and very thankfull for the ferry service to cut out a great deal of walking which could easily have added another 2.5hrs on to the time.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

thorburn7
Mountain Walker

Munros:239   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland