walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall an-t-Seallaidh from Glenogle

Meall an-t-Seallaidh from Glenogle

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:38 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall an t-Seallaidh

Date walked: 24/05/2018

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 718m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I have already reported on this hill, but as you may have seen, there was intense ground mist and I got none of the "views" that are supposed to be a feature of it. I had also climbed it from Glen Ogle in snow a few winters ago, but again the weather was poor - so I thought I should repeat that route. It is long, but the gradients are very gentle making it ideal for a hot day - though I was glad I took almost 2 litres of liquid
The forests around Glen Ogle are in the process of being felled and several new "roads" have been created.. I took one of the new ones and came out a gate: I had to climb over it but easier for me than the hole in the ricketty deer fence :)
5595.jpg
New gate
5597.jpg
Stobinian and Ben More from the gate
5600.jpg
The track up Glen Dubh provides an easy angled ascent
5604.jpg
Near the high point of the track: In the winter I had gone up a snow slope R of Cam Chreag but today I decided to ascend diagonally L below its rocks
5607.jpg
A little path followed the line of fence posts - the Corbetts are becoming infested with them :lol: but it took me through the peat hags so I suppose I shouldn't complain :lol:
5610.jpg
The traverse line - I kept as far as possible below the area of large bilberry covered boulders beneath the cliff
5613.jpg
Creag Mac Ranaich looks good from here
5615.jpg
The natural line took me up a shallow gully to a rock with a tree growing on it and the first views south
5617.jpg
I carried on diagonally upwards and sudenly ...
5617a.jpg
I was just a few m below the ridge and the summit was in sight.
After a short rest I pushed on to the ridge, down a slight dip and up to the cairn. It had been an easy and most enjoyable ascent :D
5620.jpg
Final slope to the summit
It was really quite hazy, but I dutifully took the photos down the three lochs - though I had to traverse across to the slightly lower second summit to get the first two
5622.jpg
Loch Voile - Ben Lomond at the back
5628.jpg
South towards Loch Lubnaig
5630.jpg
East to Loch Earn
5633.jpg
Creag Mac Rainich with the Loch Tay hills beyond
5637.jpg
Looking down the ridge to Cam Chreag from near the bottom of the summit slope
I returned the way I had come
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by past my sell by date on Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: Meall an-t-Seallaidh from Glenogle

Postby Chris Mac » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:58 pm

Superb stuff, great to see the hill i've just been up on an ascent from the other side! We were planning to do the full ridge then go on to Creag Mac Ranaich to do the same but had to bolt off Meall an t-Seallaidh quick time due to the approaching thunder and lightning!!

I think we descended about 500m in 20 minutes, we've never come off a hill so fast! Looking over Creag Mac Rannaich to The Lawers Group and Tarmachan ridge all we could see was a black shadow of the hills and ridges amongst the rain and clouds, reminded us of Mordor, so it's nice to see what we could have won with the view in your pics!

We did get to enjoy the brilliant summit of Meall an t-Seallaidh for a while before running off it though and both agreed that it's one of the best mountain views we've both seen to date! It's absolutely superb, three lochs, countless big peaks almost within touching distance, we're actually annoyed we got chased off it but safety first and we live to return another day to get up Creag Mac Ranaich and return for the view, can't wait! It's summit area is perfect for an overnight camp, you'll also get the sunrise over Loch Earn to the east... :D

I can't quite believe a viewpoint this good is the 149th rated Corbett. :crazy:

Cracking pics of the three lochs, another bonus as we didn't expect to be able to see all three from the summit. Cheers!
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby past my sell by date » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:58 pm

Chris Mac wrote:Superb stuff, great to see the hill i've just been up on an ascent from the other side! We were planning to do the full ridge then go on to Creag Mac Ranaich to do the same but had to bolt off Meall an t-Seallaidh quick time due to the approaching thunder and lightning!!

I think we descended about 500m in 20 minutes, we've never come off a hill so fast! Looking over Creag Mac Rannaich to The Lawers Group and Tarmachan ridge all we could see was a black shadow of the hills and ridges amongst the rain and clouds, reminded us of Mordor, so it's nice to see what we could have won with the view in your pics!

We did get to enjoy the brilliant summit of Meall an t-Seallaidh for a while before running off it though and both agreed that it's one of the best mountain views we've both seen to date! It's absolutely superb, three lochs, countless big peaks almost within touching distance, we're actually annoyed we got chased off it but safety first and we live to return another day to get up Creag Mac Ranaich and return for the view, can't wait! It's summit area is perfect for an overnight camp, you'll also get the sunrise over Loch Earn to the east... :D

I can't quite believe a viewpoint this good is the 149th rated Corbett. :crazy:

Cracking pics of the three lochs, another bonus as we didn't expect to be able to see all three from the summit. Cheers!

Yes it is a good view point - but - like many Scottish hills - not much shelter on the summit :lol: From Glen Ogle you start nearly 400m up and could easily do both Corbetts in a day
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:30 pm

Nice day for it - you must really like this hill as this looks like your third time on it !

past my sell by date wrote:I have already reported on this hill, but as you may have seen, there was intense ground mist and I got none of the "views" that are supposed to be a feature of it.

That's one way of looking at it I guess :lol: Having looked back at your previous report, another way to look at it is a nice set of blue sky, sun and inversion shots :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby past my sell by date » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:05 pm

[quote="rockhopper"]Nice day for it - you must really like this hill as this looks like your third time on it !
I'm afraid it's just that at my age iI'm a bit sedentary and tend to gravitate to local hills - especially when it's a bit hot :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland