walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Streap and Braigh nan Uamhachan

Streap and Braigh nan Uamhachan

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:15 am

Route description: Streap, near Glenfinnan

Corbetts included on this walk: Braigh nan Uamhachan, Streap

Date walked: 13/05/2018

Distance: 22.5 km

Ascent: 1800m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Family and work commitments meant that I had not managed to get anywhere near a hill since the start of April but eventually managed to get a day free.

Streap&Uamhachan activelog 13may2018.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Only car in the parking area just off the A830 at NM930799. Got ready then set off by bike up Gleann Dubh Lighe. Brief stop at the bothy and signed the book.

Continued on until I got to the edge of the forestry where I locked up the bike and continued on foot north towards Streap Comhlaidh. The track had been quite rough for cycling with frequent ups/downs so didn’t really save much time.

It had been raining lightly since the start and this continued – not heavy enough for waterproofs though. Followed a track to around NNM955487 at which point I started steeply uphill – about 600m of steep ascent to get to the top of Streap Comhlaidh.

Then came the traverse of the ridge over to Streap – the clag was down with low visibility and a few snow patches to avoid so didn’t see much on the way to the Streap summit.

It didn’t want to clear so I set off for the return journey to Streap Comhlaidh. A little below the summit, the weather started to clear a bit and was wholly clear by the time I was back on Streap Comhlaidh. Still a lot of snow around.

I was glad that the weather had cleared and the rain was off as this made finding a route to Braigh nan Uamhachan somewhat easier.

Looking over to Braigh nan Uamhachan

Headed NE down the ridge until I was more or less due west of the start of Lochan a’ Chomlain then headed west down towards the southern end of the loch crossing a stream en route which was partially set into a gully.

Looking back

The lochan

The side of Uamhachan looked intimidating from higher up but now down at the foot of it, it didn’t look so bad as is frequently the case. Picked a route more or less straight upwards heading for the summit.

On the way up

Looking back

The last section was quite steep but just a case if picking a route through the rocks

It had turned out quite nicely at the summit

Another walker arrived at the summit a little after me. His friend had stopped a little further back so he didn’t wait long then headed off – they had come up via Gleann Fionnlighe and left their bikes lower down.

Eventually I set off along the ridge with its various ups and downs and dry stane dyke

Loch Shiel

Passed a dead deer on the way back down to the bike – must have been fairly recent as it was fully intact.

Picked up the bike and cycled back to the car. Again this took longer than expected. I’ve only fairly recently started using walking poles for day walks (used to use one when carrying a camping pack) but was trying today to see how I got on without using them at all. Have come to the conclusion that I’ll keep using them from now on as they do seem to help quite a bit esp on uphill sections – am having to admit that perhaps age (and level of “unfitness”) are perhaps starting to catch up on me.....
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Streap and Braigh nan Uamhachan

Postby litljortindan » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:35 pm

That's a very nice upturn in the weather. Would have been a shame to miss those views.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Jaxter » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:47 pm

Both good hills - shame you missed out the ridge up to Streap, that's great fun!

Smashing part of the country - glad you got views in the end 8)
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:31 pm

litljortindan wrote:That's a very nice upturn in the weather. Would have been a shame to miss those views.
yes - as is often the case the forecast was somewhat better than actual :roll: - cheers :)
Jaxter wrote:Both good hills - shame you missed out the ridge up to Streap, that's great fun! Smashing part of the country - glad you got views in the end 8)
would agree - have had a couple of trips up that way recently now that the days are getting longer - had considered approaching via the ridge but the weather wasn't encouraging - cheers :)
rockhopper

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:32 pm

Having looked across at Streap and Thuilm a couple of weeks ago, and as a result bumped them up my priority list, it was good to be treated with this report, and especially the tip with the bike! I'm not so keen on track walking...

Given the long drive for me, I'll probably make it a multi-day trip (if I can face lugging a big sac around again :roll: ).

Glad you got good viewing weather in the end. This area has a particularly wild attractive aspect that's a joy to be able to see at its best.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby mamoset » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:27 pm

Some nice views there RH. Agree about the poles, never without them these days, helps going up, saves the knees coming down :lol:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:36 pm

Shame about the lack of views RH you seem to be after my clagmieser crown

As for poles, I’m never without them, just got a new pair of Black Diamond Poles lightest I’ve ever had
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:20 am

alteknacker, mamoset, gammy - thanks for your comments :)

gammy leg walker wrote:you seem to be after my clagmieser crown
no chance, you'll always hold that one - think I've become a fair weather walker :roll:
rockhopper

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:54 pm

Nice one Rockhopper. I did Streap from Glenfinnan which would have been good for the bike too but for some reason I cant remember, we didn't take the bikes and walked a good bit on the private tarmac road.
A great hill Streap.
I use a walking pole only on descent to help the knees. I only use one and find it helps a lot.
All the best :D
Sunset tripper

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:10 am

Somehow I knew you'd to the two in one go :lol:

They are both superb hills, Braigh is a bit underrated IMHO, I loved the long ridge walk!

When I started serious hillwalking, I used to walk without poles but Kevin convinced me to start using one. Initially I found it annoying. Now, with two dodgy and sometimes sore knees, steep descents without walking poles would be a torture. I don't think it's an age thing, just a matter of luck. Some people don't complain from knee sores even in later years, some (like me) just get it tough. The split I suffered 2 years ago on Storr slopes didn't help either...

At least Kevin can say he always walks with his favourite Pole! :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby bar72 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:42 am

@rockhopper how long did that take you? I'm trying to squeeze this in before clocks go back :)
bar72
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:181
Fionas:70   Donalds:67+40
Sub 2000:73   
Islands:14

Postby rockhopper » Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:10 pm

bar72 wrote:@rockhopper how long did that take you? I'm trying to squeeze this in before clocks go back :)
Had a look back at my files and think it was about 9hrs-ish - started just before 0730 and got back about 1630. I wasn't going quickly and did have a number of stops - also noted that the cycle took me longer than expected.
rockhopper

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland