walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dearg, Scotlands biggest waterfall!

Beinn Dearg, Scotlands biggest waterfall!

Postby JCowie » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:10 pm

Route description: Beinn Dearg - the Four Munros circuit

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Ullapool), Cona' Mheall, Eididh nan Clach Geala, Meall nan Ceapraichean

Date walked: 08/06/2018

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 27 km

Ascent: 1569m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Decided to sleep in the back of the car at Inverlael to get an early start. Though this wasnt that straightforward due to it still being broad daylight at 22:30 and the car having no curtains..

05:00 and a nice, calm morning, perfect for midgies, but a little extra protein in the porridge and tea wont go amiss.

Not even 5 mins in and first wildlife encounter. A newt crossing the track. Urban life quickly and happily melting away.
IMG_4854 - Copy 1.JPG

This walk was memorable for the contrast in the sizes of the equally wonderful features encountered, from the small newt, flowers and rock patterns to the scale of the landscape and what appeared to be Scotlands biggest ‘waterfall’.

Near the edge of the woodland the ‘waterfall’ came into view. Through the Spruce you could be forgiven for thinking you were in Yosemite or the like.
IMG_4869 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4880 - Copy.JPG

The recent drought, easy angled, well built path made for smooth progress and more importantly meant you didn’t need to watch your feet that often.
Just before the path split, the sun had gone high enough and the vast waterfall had burned off.

Before the first Munro top I had already encountered Deer, Ravens, frogs and some interesting geology. By the second, it was wider views a Ptarmigan and her brood.
IMG_4908 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4939 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4931 - Copy.JPG

Progress is straightforward and less steep than I first expected. Aided by the remarkable lack of moisture, most notably seen from the summit of Cona Mheall looking down at the retreated loch Glascarnoch
IMG_4975 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4955 - Copy.JPG

Beinn Dearg up next and the wall adds a notable slice of human history and interest to the walk.
IMG_4965 - Copy.JPG

The descent back to the col is relatively short and painless and an early lunch stop is taken absorbing the view down the glen with the sun on my back.

The descent through the glen is a fine meander on the easy going path, not too tough on the knees and with enough interest in the burn and surrounding crags to avoid it being a trudge. Though I wonder if following the wall down the ridge would have been better.
IMG_4995 - Copy.JPG

Soon the car is reached and its time for some cake and drink at the nearby craft centre before the afternoon jaunt up A’Chailleach and Sgurr Breac.
Attachments
IMG_4933 - Copy.JPG
JCowie
Stravaiging

Munros:149   Corbetts:27
Islands:44

Re: Beinn Dearg, Scotlands biggest waterfall!

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:36 am

Fantastic photos - the "waterfall" is extraordinary. I saw a similar thing once, long ago, on Tryfan.

The close-up rocks appear to include a cross of St Andrew!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby JCowie » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:22 am

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Fantastic photos - the "waterfall" is extraordinary. I saw a similar thing once, long ago, on Tryfan.

The close-up rocks appear to include a cross of St Andrew!

Tim

Many thanks Tim. Indeed, I was not expecting it at all, and its the most specific inversion I have seen to date. The quartz rock was also a more unusual than normal find.

I have a load more pics on my FB, mainly of the range of flowers that were out on the mountain. unfortunately I cannot paste a link!

Jamie
JCowie
Stravaiging

Postby nrj145 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:27 am

7.5 hours - you must have been motoring. Took us 10 on Monday!
nrj145
Mountaineer

Munros:171   Corbetts:11
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:11

Postby JCowie » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:38 am

nrj145 wrote:7.5 hours - you must have been motoring. Took us 10 on Monday!

Aye, I didn't expect to be that fast, and didn't feel like I was rushing. I had allowed myself 10, but going was good and I found a good rhythm. I was also travelling fairly light due to the conditions. Salomon shoes rather than the big Scarpas!

Jamie
JCowie
Stravaiging

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland