walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A scorcher on Rois-bheinn and co

A scorcher on Rois-bheinn and co

Postby malky_c » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:55 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: An Stac, Rois-Bheinn, Sgùrr na Ba Glaise

Date walked: 09/06/2018

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 18.5 km

Ascent: 1630m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Corbetts: Sgurr na Ba Glaise, Rois Bheinn, An Stac.
Date: 09/06/2018.
Distance: 18.5 km.
Ascent: 1630 m.
Time: 8 hours.
Weather: Warm, sunny, hazy.

I had a couple of days of something-or-other planned with Hugh planned this weekend. I hadn't really been paying much attention to the weather forecast, and he had been suggesting some pretty good possibilities (including some bothies), so I didn't think about where to go properly until Friday evening. We settled on Moidart and Ardgour. Would we manage to clear the heavy rain forecast further east?

I arranged to meet Hugh at 10:30am at the foot of Rois Bheinn. After leaving late, getting caught up briefly in windfarm traffic, stopping in Fort William for logs and driving past the parking spot a couple of times, it was more like 11:30 before we got moving. So far, aside from a heavy downpour around Torlundy, the weather had been sunnier than forecast. It looked like the last-minute decisions had paid off :D .

This could take some time...

I have always felt that the longer circuit on these hills is the way to go (taking in Druim Fiaclach), but feeling quite tired, I would have easily been persuaded to do a shorter loop from Alisary. In fact that's probably subconsciously why I drove past the start point! Anyway, I knew I'd feel fine once I was on the hill.

Roisbheinn map.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I had attempted this loop a couple of times before with my dad - once in 1997, when the clag covered the summit of Rois-bheinn and we skipped out on An Stac - then again in 2002 when the weather had deteriorated so badly that we had dropped back to the car after Druim Fiaclach. An Stac had been a quickie on its own in 2012.

Roche Moutonnee near Lochailort

As expected, the walking woke me up a bit as we followed a vague path up into Coire a' Bhuiridh, soon meeting a newish hydro scheme track. After leaving this and crossing a bridge, we were into the first main ascent of the day. Quite sweaty, this, but before too long we were on the summit of Druim Fiaclach (having skirted around the bump of Beinn Coire nan Gall). Despite two previous visits, I've never been able to fully appreciate this ridge from above. It previously looked good from the adjacent Beinn Mhic Cedidh, and it looked just as enticing from the summit, including the eastern section that we wouldn't be traversing.

Arisaig coast from Druim Fiaclach

Looking down to Loch Eilt

Eastern end of Druim Fiaclach

On Druim Fiaclach

Oddly, someone has gone to the effort of removing the large cairn which used to be here, but a smaller one has grown in its place. I knew cairn kickers existed, but hadn't considered that they would bother going to so much effort.

Large cairn on Druim Fiaclach demolished

Lovely easy walking in the heat from here to Sgurr na Ba Glaise as Hugh remembered bits of a DofE expedition through these hills. I had vague memories from my initial visit 22 years ago, but as usual, it's maybe not surprising how much you forget over time!

Druim Fiaclach

An Stac from Druim Fiaclach

The weather stayed fine as the day wore on, but there was a haze and possibly some haar moving in from the west, and by the time we reached Sgurr na Ba Glaise, Rum has disappeared and Eigg was barely still visible. A steepish descent and re-ascent took us to one of the highlights of the day - Rois-bheinn (particularly the marginally lower western summit).

Eigg just about visible in the haze

Looking east

Hugh on Sgurr na Ba Glaise

Back to Druim Fiaclach

Rois-bheinn from Sgurr na Ba Glaise

An Stac from Sgurr na Ba Glaise

Sgurr Dhomhuill Mhor and Sunart

This is what we had come for 8) . Even without the Small Isles visible in the background, the coastal views are up there with the best in the Highlands. We could see right down onto the bothy at Peanmeanach, where we were considering staying - but how best to get there? We both had inflatable kayaks with us, so that was one possibility.

An Stac

Ardnish peninsula

Mouth of Loch Ailort

Loch Ailort

Summit photo

Back to Sgurr na Ba Glaise

Eventually we retraced our steps towards the col beneath Sgurr na Ba Glaise, and followed the wall down towards An Stac. There were some steep bits here, but before long we were lined up for the final ascent. The day had just got even hotter at this point, which made the last bit of up a little slower. We passed a speedy guy coming in the opposite direction here - the only other person we saw out on the hills (other than a couple of figures in the distance on the hydro track).

On the col between Rois-bheinn and Sgurr na Ba Glaise

Back to Rois-bheinn

Druim Fiaclach

Looking up An Stac

Sgurr na Ba Glaise

Not entirely sure what the flag on the summit was about, but An Stac is pretty much as good as Rois-bheinn for summit scenery.

Loch Ailort from An Stac

Rois-bheinn from An Stac

Cloud and haze moving in from the west

We dropped down to the north, then turned east to pick up a quad bike track, and then the hydro track, which we followed in its entirety this time, taking us back to the cars shortly after 7:30pm.

Back up An Stac

Across Loch Eilt to Essan

A pint in the Lochailort Hotel was a good end to a perfect walk, although unfortunately the midges were lurking as we headed back outside. Now what - walk or paddle to Peanmeanach?

In the end, feelings of laziness crept in, helped along by the cloud moving in - it wasn't going to be the impressive evening we had previously thought. So we went for plan B (or was it C?) and drove around to Ranochan on the shores of Loch Eilt. Using our inflatable kayaks, this would give us extremely easy access to the bothy at Essan - indeed, blowing the kayaks up probably took longer than getting across the loch!

Preparing to head to Essan

No photos on the way out as I had overestimated the amount of space in my kayak (haven't used it for over 4 years now), and had enough on my plate just paddling over without my rucksack or the bag of firewood falling out. We passed under a low railway bridge on the far side of the loch and pulled the boats out of the water soon after. Although the flood level here appears to be quite high, there was little water in the burn just now and not too much chance of it rising overnight.

Essan evening

A pleasant night of beer and BBQ followed, with Essan turning out to be a comfortable, well looked after bothy.
Link to next day
Last edited by malky_c on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: A scorcher on Rois-bheinn and co

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:12 pm

No mountain striptease this time? I'm disappointed! :lol: :lol:

On a serious note, I'm looking forward to this round, having done the Callop Corbetts round on the other side of Loch Shiel. Looks like tough going but well worth the pain. Fingers crossed we get more tropical weather this year so I can drag Kevin into the wilderness once again :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby lochfyne » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:42 pm

We did this round on Monday while spending a few days in the Arisaig area and what a day.

While puffing and panting up towards Druim Fiaclach the tops were clear but by Sgurr na Ba Glaise, it had clouded over and by Rois Bheinn we were totally in the clag. However the weather gods rewarded our toil up An Stac by clearing so we could see out west in all its glory!

Like you were puzzled by the demolished cairn on Sgurr an Ba Glaise and wondered if it had been struck by lightning. Intrigued by the stone wall up Rois Bheinn which is mostly still in good condition.

A smashing day!
lochfyne
Mountaineer

Munros:116   Corbetts:25
Fionas:9   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:35

Postby PeteR » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:31 am

I remember finding this circuit to be one tough day.......certainly much tougher (and longer) than that Mr Naismith suggested :lol: Well worth the effort though
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:03 pm

Heck, that's right up at the top of the premier league for characterful hills and stunning views, both of mountains and the coast. This looks like a wonderful area.

The to-do list is growing and growing...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland