walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Shenaval Trip - Part 2 - Now With Pics

Shenaval Trip - Part 2 - Now With Pics

Postby mountain coward » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:55 am

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Bàn

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlaidheimh

Date walked: 17/05/2010

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Putting all my pics on this one and will put Mike's on Shenaval 1 (pending his permission)...

The next morning at Shenaval the weather was looking much better. Everyone was leaving so there was much packing. I found that, although I’d used a bit of my food up, my pack seemed heavier and I had trouble getting everything back in! I eventually managed and had eaten my brekkie and was about to set off for Beinn a’ Chlaidheimh which I really, really didn’t want to do – I’d taken to calling it ‘The Thing’... I’d wavered between 2 possible routes – Monty’s from the day before up the east side, or along Gleann na Muice to follow the burn up to the col at Loch a’ Brisidh – a very straightforward route. I wasn’t sure I could face the bogs to Larachantivore again though...
Beinn a' Chlaideimh.jpg
As it appears on the walk into Shenaval - imposing!

Monty said why didn’t I walk with him along the track to the bend in the glen where the vehicle track goes off back to Corrie Hallie and my route goes the other way to Chlaidheimh. The idea of company for part of the walk appealed so I readily agreed. He was soon packed and we were off. I had a slight snag in that, as I’d packed my big pack up to leave the bothy for Corrie Hallie later in the day, I couldn’t see any way of carrying my flask on my Munro walk (I just carried the map in my hand). I decided just to drink out of the various burns coming down the mountain – little did I know it was going to be the hottest day of the year so far – a real scorcher!
Achneigle Ruin, Strath na Sealga.jpg

We chatted all the way to where the path split and then said goodbye and Monty set off up the vehicle track. I decided I’d zip off my trouser legs as it was already starting to get warm and watched him head off up the track... I suddenly felt very isolated. You’d think I’d be used to isolation as I have to do very many Munros on my own but a combination of not really wanting to do this one and having company for the first bit of the walk and then being alone, seemed psychologically very hard that day... it wasn’t until much later in the walk before that feeling left.
An Teallach fm Strath an Nid.jpg
Looking back - on my own now...

I set off up the glen, soon finding the excellent track just above the river and kept an eye out for places to cross. I managed to find a good crossing point and keep my feet dry then it was off up the heather. Most of the climb was at an easy angle but a bit tedious. Monty had mentioned a tiny corrie below the summit and, as the ground flattened out half way up, I could see it... it had what looked like a little rocky arête up the side of it which looked interesting. I decided to head up that way and get a closer look. It continued to look possible and unworrying so I decided to give it a go.
Beinn a' Chlaideimh fm river.jpg
My route went up the ridge on the left of the corrie (the one going left)

I soon reached the lower rocks of the ‘arete’ and set off up them – all easy stuff – however, I found it wasn’t really an arête at all and soon just became steep sided grassy corrie. Simple enough I thought and headed off up the grass. As I got towards where the grass came out onto a shoulder I found it became quite uncomfortably steep for mountain cowards so ploughed hurriedly up it on all fours then collapsed on the shoulder totally out of breath. I looked up my side ridge to the summit from the shoulder and all looked easy again so I strolled off up it soon reaching the summit. Having my camera with me for a change, I took a few photos at the summit but found I really didn’t like the airiness of the place and started to feel a bit giddy and uneasy. It just looked really steep down both sides – I was glad the summit wasn’t further along the ridge.
Beinn a' Chlaidheimh summit, An Teallach behind.jpg
Beinn Dearg Mor fm A' Chlaidheimh.jpg
Strath na Sealga & An Teallach fm Chlaidheimh.jpg

I decided not to hang around and started off on the path in the scree down the nose. Wasn’t keen on that either until the angle eased on a little col further down (my cowardice never gets better somehow).
Beinn a' Chlaidheimh fm nr Brisidh col.jpg
Looking back from half-way down...
Ridge to Beinn Chlaideimh.jpg
Looking back up from Brisidh col
Beinn a' Chlaideimh & Loch a' Brisidh.jpg
At the Loch a’ Brisidh col – a really pretty but very rocky place – I looked at Sgurr Ban and wondered whether I should do that as well. The day was still young but I was becoming hot and thirsty. I thought it would be best if I got it out of the way as, when I do Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair from Lochivraon at a later date, I’ll probably be stressing hugely about its steep scree slopes so won’t want to do Sgurr Ban first but will just want to get it over with.
Loch a' Brisidh to Beinn Dearg Mor.jpg
Sgurr Ban fm a' Chlaidheimh descent.jpg

I’d heard there was a path up Sgurr Ban but I’m darned if I could find one so went off up the boulders. They were easy enough to ascend and not steep but seemed to go on forever. I eventually got to the summit and had a peer at Mhic Fhearchair – didn’t look wonderful but did look just like all the photos you see of it...
Mullach Choire Mhic Fhearchair.jpg
I then descended back down via the grassy ridge instead of the boulderfield as I didn’t fancy breaking my ankle down the boulders.
Beinn a' Chlaidheimh fm Sgurr Ban descent.jpg
I was soon crossing the grassy corrie back to the Brisidh col and then headed straight down for the Abhainn Loch an Nid, drinking out of every single stream I could find. I was locating streams by sound and detouring to them as by now I was burning up with thirst. Seemed to take ages to descend to the glen...
Loch an Nid.jpg
An Teallach fm Strath Sealga.jpg

Then there was just the long walk back along the track to the bothy – as the weather and I got hotter, I got slower and slower until I more or less crawled up to the bothy, by now T-shirtless which probably surprised the gentleman who was sat outside in the shade (or maybe not – he didn’t actually bat an eyelid) – I think he could see I was a bit hot though... I was straight in the bothy for my flask and the apple and tomatoes someone had left behind... I donated 2 of the tomatoes to him then decided I’d best set off for the walk out as it was by now 1745!
Shenaval bothy.jpg
Leaving Shenaval.jpg
Very sad to leave:-(
Last view of Shenaval,Beinn Dearg Mor Behind.jpg

I’d packed a water bottle in my side pocket for drinking on the hard walk out but found, during the long and arduous climb up from the bothy, that I couldn’t reach it without taking my pack off – and I couldn’t be bothered to stop and take it off so I was heading for heat stroke again! The summit of the moor seemed to take forever to come and I was dying to see the vehicle track joining my rough path and heading down for Corrie Hallie. Just short of the junction I had to stop and get a drink before I died – didn’t really feel much better after it either but I kept the bottle in my hand for the rest of the way.
Looking back over high moor.jpg
Fisherfields fm Shenaval Walk Out.JPG

When I hit the downhill track I was off like a rocket – I couldn’t wait to see my trusty Sunny waiting faithfully for me. All I could think about was that I urgently wanted 3 things: a bath, a huge meal and to sink into a bed and sleep for hours – trouble was I wanted to do all 3 at once! I was originally planning on going back to the Ledgowan at Achnasheen but, as it was nearing 8pm, I realised I probably wouldn’t get there in time for an evening meal – at least not in an unsmelly state anyway – I didn’t think I could really inflict myself on folks in the bar without getting cleaned up. I also thought about going to the Altguish for a meal and then going on to the Ledgowan.

Finally I reached the carpark and was overjoyed to see my beloved Sunny was still there waiting and hadn’t been nicked (I hate leaving my cars). Also, under the windscreen wiper was a nice note from Mike.

While I was loading heavy rucksacks into the boot and changing footwear a bright idea suddenly hit me (surprising really considering the fried state of my brain by then!)... why didn’t I go back the other way a mile or so along the road and eat at the Dundonnell Hotel? I shot off up the road, arriving at 2020 and packed a carrier bag with some wash stuff so I could at least get cleaned up a bit in the toilets. I went into reception and asked if they were still doing food – they said they were until 9. I then had the bright idea of pricing up their single rooms. The price was much better than I thought it would be and quite a bit less than the Ledgowan Hotel. I asked if they had a single room and she said there was just one left but unfortunately there was no view from it – I said I didn’t give a damn so long as it had a bed and bath which amused her somewhat. I think she could see I’d had a hard day... when I got home and totted up the mileage and feet of climb, I was surprised what a hard day it actually had been – especially with the heat and lack of liquid!

After a great bath and meal, I was off to bed by 10 (very early for me) and knew nothing until the phone rang at 0930 and a nice lady asked me if I’d be attending breakfast (I thought that was very nice of them to check). I said no thanks, I was too knackered and fell asleep again until 10... Total crash and burn!
Last edited by mountain coward on Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
mountain coward

Re: Shenaval Trip - Part 2

Postby monty » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:34 am

Hi MC,
Another good report. I enjoyed your company on the walk out along the landrover tracks. On reflection I think it was a better way out of the glen than going back up the hillside behind the bothy although it adds about 3km. Much less effort :lol:

As I climbed up the hillside I stopped at a good vantage point to watch you walking over the Strath Na Sealsa to cross the river. I could clearly see the path from above. At one point it looked like you might be heading to far east so I shouted to try to get your attention. The fact that the wind was in my face taking all sounds west didn't seem to detter me :lol: However you were soon back on track and I felt such an idiot.

Well done on baggin the two. That was another long day for you. Thats the lords punishment for you not doing the six with me :lol:
monty

Postby gaffr » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:59 pm

It's not too bad jinking your way up to Claidheimh directly after crossing the river....saves you couple of Kls. in distance. Fine to read reports and see the gentleman's images of this area it does feel very much like proper away from all hillwalking.....the Rowan at the Bothy has done well...then no-one ever cut lumps off this tree, it kind of has 'built-in' protection. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby mountain coward » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:28 am

monty wrote:Hi MC,
Another good report. I enjoyed your company on the walk out along the landrover tracks. On reflection I think it was a better way out of the glen than going back up the hillside behind the bothy although it adds about 3km. Much less effort :lol:

As I climbed up the hillside I stopped at a good vantage point to watch you walking over the Strath Na Sealsa to cross the river. I could clearly see the path from above. At one point it looked like you might be heading to far east so I shouted to try to get your attention. The fact that the wind was in my face taking all sounds west didn't seem to detter me :lol: However you were soon back on track and I felt such an idiot.

Hi Monty, I thought I heard you whistling to get my attention when I was sat taking off my boots to unzip my trouser legs just after we'd split up, and you looked to be stopped at that time - I gave you a wave - not sure if you could see from that distance though... Didn't hear anything after I'd set off walking again though...
mountain coward

Postby monty » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:00 am

Hahaha You heard my whistleing. :lol: but did you hear my wolf whistles :lol:
monty

Postby skuk007 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:18 pm

NIce couple of reports MC. Been said already, don't really need the pictures as your detailed report leaves the imagination to draw the pictures. Thanks. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:24 pm

Another enjoyable read MC. I had a similar thing with my water bottle at the weekend... I've got a bit tired of the cleaning and packing of my Platypus so picked up a 1l aluminium water bottle at Tesco (only £1.03 :D ). Anyway, early in the walk I could easily remove and replace it from the side pockets of my rucksack but as the day progressed and I got more tired my ability to do this gradually diminished :? .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby mountain coward » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:28 am

monty wrote:Hahaha You heard my whistleing. :lol: but did you hear my wolf whistles :lol:

Or were they cat-calls more like! :lol:

Leithy - I bought a really useful thing quite a few years back and must remember to take it with me - it's a bottle-holder which slides onto any straps you have, e.g. your rucsac waistbelt or, in my case that day, could have slid onto my camera bag waist belt... if only I'd packed the damned thing! I think I did think about it at one point but then just forgot to take it. That way, your bottle's always to hand...
mountain coward

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:18 am

Wish I'd pressed the ankle and made it to meet you - from Monty's pics I think the weather was better than the week after :D Excellent reading.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby mountain coward » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:58 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Wish I'd pressed the ankle and made it to meet you - from Monty's pics I think the weather was better than the week after :D Excellent reading.

Yeah, it would have been nice for Monty to have some company on his epic walk! Just hope you could have kept up with him :lol:
mountain coward

Postby davetherave » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:24 pm

Thanks again Mc,

i have picked out all the info from part 1 and 2 , it is now locked away securely in the back of my head never to be remembered again :lol: .

The Corbett Creag Rainich to the East of the Bealach Sgurr Ban........ up the steep face would you happen to have a pic of that...... do you think one could struggle up there. :?
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby mountain coward » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:59 pm

Hmmm - I did have a cursory glance at it - it was a very good-looking hill but not sure about whether you could get up it from there or not - it looked pretty steep. There looked to be ways up it from the junction just after where the vehicle track goes out to Corrie Hallie or up to Loch an Nid but not sure... pretty sure I didn't take any photos of it though but I'm still waiting for them to come back from the printers. Maybe one of the many others who've been out that way have something? But normally it's done from the Loch a' Bhraoin track isn't it? From there I believe it's extremely easy (but possibly boring?)...
mountain coward

Postby malky_c » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:09 am

Quite an epic bank holiday that! I had some fun on Beinn a’ Chlaidheimh a few years back - 3 of us walked into Shenavall one February evening with either the 4 or the 6 Munros in mind. However one late arrival and a few bottles of beer later, and we were unable to get going before 11 am the next day! Also one of the party had left her ice axe at Corrie Hallie. I donated mine and used a set of walking poles instead...no problems in the end, but not really a great idea! Due to the late start, we ended doing pretty much the same route as you, and got back to the bothy in the dark and too knackered to walk out that night. Ended missing a great party over at Badrallach, where the rest of the club were staying.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby mountain coward » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:12 am

Ah the evils of drink! :lol: When I did the sponsored 3 Peaks (the real one in Yorkshire), a group I'm a member of were staying at Ingleton Youth Hostel and were supposed to meet me and Richard at 8... we waited until 0820 and noone had showed so we just set off... I bumped into a very hungover member of the group as we came down from Ingleborough much later in the afternoon - apparently they'd all got blinding drunk the night before and noone got up until they were ejected by the Youth Hostel warden!
mountain coward

Postby mountain coward » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:10 am

davetherave wrote:The Corbett Creag Rainich to the East of the Bealach Sgurr Ban........ up the steep face would you happen to have a pic of that...... do you think one could struggle up there. :?

2nd to last pic - hill on left at end of Gleann Strath an Nid (now I've finally added my pics!) :D
mountain coward

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland