walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fhionnlaidh's Fudgey Fingers

Fhionnlaidh's Fudgey Fingers

Postby Jaxter » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:06 am

Route description: Beinn Fhionnlaidh

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Fhionnlaidh, Sgòr na h-Ulaidh

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Maol Chaluim

Date walked: 19/05/2018

Time taken: 10.45 hours

Distance: 23.59 km

Ascent: 2192m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I hadn’t been out on the hills with Colin in a while, but the planets aligned and we found ourselves following a typical Jaxter “let’s head here and see where we end up” plan down Glen Etive :lol:

We found a parking spot just before Invercharnan, booted up and headed off down the track towards Beinn Fhionnlaidh.

It was still a wee bit hazy but the views down Glen Etive to Ben Starav, Ben Cruachan in the distance and Beinn Trileachean were already impressive.

We reached the end of the track for real and it became a lot less firm underfoot. We dodged some boggier areas and made it across a couple of very dry burns.

Looking backwards to the Ben Starav hills

We met a Ptarmigan – Colin fannied around taking hunners of photos of it. I went in search of more water from a waterfall as I was already beginning to melt :lol:

As we climbed up Meall nan Gobhar the gradient increased but it meant we were gaining height quickly! I was being very careful to avoid a rib disaster but everything seemed to be feeling ok.

Another excuse to stop….

From Starav to Sgulaird

Ben Starav and Beinn Trilleachean with Loch Etive

Stunning Starav

Despite being steep it was an easy climb up to the top of Coire Reidh and once there we were able to see the final ascent to the top of Beinn Fhionnlaidh

As we gained more height we were able to see across to the fabulous Beinn a’ Bheithir; very different looking without snow!

Sgorr na h-Ulaidh and Bidean

A few scrambles later and we were on the summit of Beinn Fhionnlaidh – it was still a wee bit hazy but it was absolutely glorious 8) Colin produced a couple of fudge fingers leading to a lot of inappropriate jokes :lol:

Of course I climbed the trig point 8)

The Bookles down to Ben Starav

Trilleachean round to Fraochaidh

The Bookles and the hills above the ski centre

Beinn a’ Bheithir

Colin doing his thing on the top of Beinn Fhionnlaidh

Beinn Sgulaird and Loch Creran

The Ben with Sgorr na h-Ulaidh

We chilled for a while and it started to clear slightly :thumbup:

But it was quite windy so once we started getting cold we decided it was time to get moving. There were a few awkward bits to get down (although I made it harder by missing the easy options :lol: ) And past the bealach the views back up Glen Etive were even better 8)

Ben Starav, Cruachan and Trilleachean

Looking back to Fhionnlaidh

Ahead 8)

We followed the fenceposts downwards; initially it was a sensible gradient and there was evidence of footfall (we weren’t sure if it was human or animal :lol: ) We were able to avoid the crags and still enjoyed stunning views North

Colin and Jura trying to get a better photo than me 8)

Soon the gradient got too steep and the crags were blocking the route so we headed down a bit further to the right where it was much easier, even for me in my very old boot with no grip :roll: Seems I need to fork out for some new footwear… :roll:

Short person problems :lol:

Back on easier ground we crossed over ground that looked like it ought to be boggy…but wasn’t… Yay for dry weather :thumbup:

Looking back we could see what we’d just come down :shock:

The Ben Starav ridge

We climbed higher towards the bealach Clach nam Meirleach and found a nice spot to pause for some food as we were both starving 8)

From the bealach it was a steep climb but there were smatterings of path which led us steadily upwards to the summit of Sgorr na h-Ulaidh where Colin dug out some more fingers of fudge :D We were soon joined by a group of other folk who had come up over Stob an Fhuarain.

Looking over Stob an Fhuarain Bidean looked super impressive 8)

Ben Nevis 8)

Beinn Fhionnlaidh and Loch Creran

Ben Starav and friends

Beinn Maol Challuim, Stob Coire Sgreamhach and the Bookles

Looking back

Buachaille Etive Mor

Scoping out our onwards route – Beinn Maol Challuim’s impassable crags

Ben Nevis

The Aonach Eagach and the Mamores

A wee bit of posing….

Loch Creran and Mull

Glencoe village

Meall Lighiche and Beinn a’ Bheithir – this was giving me ideas for a future walk :crazy:

After enjoying the views for a bit longer we started heading down the ridge – figured we may as well have a look at the ascent to BMC – we could always drop down from the bealach and the ridge looked like too much fun to miss 8)

Looking back up to Sgorr na h-Ulaidh – it had been a steep descent to the bealach!

Beinn Maol Challuim, Bookles and Clach Leathad from Stob an Fhuarain

Bookles, Clach Leathad and Stob Dubh

Stob Dubh with Meall nan Eun and Stob Coire an Albannaich behind

The Ben with the AE below

Meall Lighiche, Fraochaidh and Beinn a’ Bheithir

Looking back from Stob an Fhuarain to Sgorr na h-Ulaidh

View to Loch Etive

We continued down the ridge – it was a joy to walk along and the views were still awesome 8)

As we got closer Bidean was becoming huge :shock:

Looking down Fhionn Ghleann

Colin waiting for me to have yet another pee :lol:

Looking back to the impressive Sgorr na h-Ulaidh

The final descent down to bealach Fhionnghaill was steep but we managed to dodge the crags without incident. We had thought to climb up steep ground to the right of the crags but once at the bealach Colin suggested that the left hand side actually looked easier. I realised he had a point (although there were sections which we couldn’t see… :crazy: )

Fortunately we managed to make it to the top without incident and the views were just stunning 8)

Loch Etive

Bidean 8)

Loch Etive, our two conquests from today and Beinn a’ Bheithir

Colin couldn’t decide which was the better backdrop so did both :lol:

Looking down the ridge towards Ben Starav

It felt so awesome to be out on the hills after 5pm and not being worried about daylight! Summer evenings are awesome 8)

Beinn a’ Bheithir

Beinn Fhionnlaidh, Sgorr na h-Ulaidh and Stob an Fhuarain

Colin and Jura on Beinn Maol Challuim

Stunning Loch Etive

It was still quite windy and it had been a long day so after enjoying the views a little longer we started to head down the long ridge. The views down Loch Etive improved as we dropped lower

Our day’s peaks again

We found a sheltered spot for another wee snack – Colin handing out his final Fudge fingers…. :lol:

Bookles and Glen Etive

Loch Etive again 8)

Looking back up

And a last view down Loch Etive

We dropped much more steeply; negotiating boulders, then tussocks, the boulders and tussocks…. :roll:

Looking back up to the bealach

From here it was an easy walk along a forest track back to the car. No bogs were fallen into….. :roll:

north etive.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Fhionnlaidh's Fudgey Fingers

Postby tall-story » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:16 pm

Fantastic Jackie, you covered the days events perfectly :clap: It's always a pleasure to walk with you and I look forward to our next on or off piste ramble in the hills :D
tall-story
Walker

Munros:158   Corbetts:222
Fionas:37   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:21   

Postby Jaxter » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:12 am

tall-story wrote:Fantastic Jackie, you covered the days events perfectly :clap: It's always a pleasure to walk with you and I look forward to our next on or off piste ramble in the hills :D

Cheers Colin, until next time :wink: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Graeme D » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:03 pm

Dinnae mention ANY of these hills to me! They're all EVIL! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:29 pm

Some great pics there - too many to single out any in particular :clap: :clap: :clap: . It's really a fabulous area. If the weather's good, you can just take pics endlessly - brilliant in every direction. I had one of my best hill days ever here.

Interesting that you chose to go for BMC. When I was planning a walk in this area (a couple of years ago), I looked on the map at this, and was surprised that more folk hadn't reported on it - it seemed (confirmed once I'd been up it) to have plenty of character - although, unless you head for Bidean, there's a heck of a drop between it and the hills you did!!!

I guess your ascent of BMC was to the right, rather than to the left???? I did the more or less the same route as you, but anticlockwise, and I remember the most dramatic high vertical cliffs to the left of the bealach between BMC and Stob an Fhurain. And I recall thinking: I'd hate to be trying to get down to the bealach from BMC in clag! There looked to be a long drop if you got it a bit wrong :roll: . I wrote something on this in my WHR with a view to warning folk who followed a similar route.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:37 am

Nice loop - quite a few variations possible in the hills around here but good to bring in the Corbett :thumbup: - cheers :)

Jaxter wrote:Short person problems :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: compared to some, I know the problem well :wink: :lol: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Jaxter » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:24 am

Graeme D wrote:Dinnae mention ANY of these hills to me! They're all EVIL! :lol:

Tough wee buggers arent they! :lol:

Alteknacker wrote:I guess your ascent of BMC was to the right, rather than to the left???? I did the more or less the same route as you, but anticlockwise, and I remember the most dramatic high vertical cliffs to the left of the bealach between BMC and Stob an Fhurain. And I recall thinking: I'd hate to be trying to get down to the bealach from BMC in clag! There looked to be a long drop if you got it a bit wrong :roll: . I wrote something on this in my WHR with a view to warning folk who followed a similar route.

Looking at BMC from the bealach we traversed left along a wee bit then headed up kind of diagonally through the crags to the ridge then turned right towards the summit. It was fine in ascent but wouldnt have fancied coming down that way!

rockhopper wrote:Nice loop - quite a few variations possible in the hills around here but good to bring in the Corbett :thumbup: - cheers :)

Jaxter wrote:Short person problems :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: compared to some, I know the problem well :wink: :lol: - cheers :)

Love a good corbett!! 8)
Jaxter
Wanderer

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland