walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The blue hues of Beinn Dhubh

The blue hues of Beinn Dhubh

Postby denfinella » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:09 pm

Route description: Beinn Dhubh, Losgaintir

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn Dhubh (Harris)

Date walked: 26/05/2018

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 570m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

<< morning: Macleod's Stone

Oof, a bit of a tough one this. Beinn Dhubh's only 506 metres high but paths are nowhere to be seen and - beginning from sea level - you climb every single one of them. After a morning strolling along Harris's various beaches it was time to give my foot a proper test after my injury earlier in the week. My foot turned out fine, but it was the hot weather that made it tricky...

beinn-dhubh.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A gate gives access to the open hill from the Luskentyre road. Slightly boggy heather to start, but this turns to exposed rock slabs as soon as the gradient steepens, making for fairly quick progress. A nice cooling breeze for now, despite warm temperatures by island standards.

1.jpg

View of this afternoon's target:

2.jpg

Looking inland:

3.jpg

Rock slabs:

4.jpg

Reaching the shoulder at Sron Godamuill, the terrain levelled out a bit and the ground became less rocky.

5.jpg

Another short pull up to Beinn Losgaintir, where North Harris comes into view:

6.jpg

View ahead:

7.jpg

8.jpg

A short descent and reascent with a boggy patch in the middle led to Beinn Dhubh.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Taransay out to the west, seen from a lower cairn west of the summit. It was too hazy to see St Kilda today.

13.jpg

14.jpg

The breeze had been moderating through the day, and it dropped completely at this point, making for a pretty horrible descent. Pathless, steep, hard on the ankles, 20 degree heat and no shade... and boggy in places. On the plus side, at least we hadn't ascended this way! Looking back up:

15.jpg

We were glad to reach the (tiny) beach at Mol an Tighe, where there was the merest hint of a cool breeze blowing across the sea. It's a spectacularly scenic location:

16.jpg

17.jpg

Next, a nondescript traverse across grass to the culture shock of Traigh Rosamol. This was by far the busiest beach we'd seen all week. A coastguard helicopter was hovering above.

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Tempting to stay at the beach for a bit, but we had to get back to the car for our drive up to Stornoway, where we'd booked a B&B for the next two nights. Tarmac time... 4 km of it, in boiling sunshine :(

21.jpg

22.jpg

We tried hitching a lift, and were finally successful with 1 km to go. Better than nothing! On our 1 minute journey we chatted to the couple about the wonderful beaches and weather, and found out we both planned to head up An Clisham tomorrow.

A decent walk - a bit hot today, but well worth the discomfort for the views!

>> next day: An Clisham
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Re: The blue hues of Beinn Dhubh

Postby malky_c » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:05 pm

This is top of my list of walks I want to do on Harris - hope it's as nice in a couple of weeks :) .
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby dbogosian » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:56 am

Gorgeous photos! Just loved the one at the beach, at Mol an Tighe. Those colours are amazing, who would ever guess this is Scotland!
dbogosian
Mountain Walker

Munros:12   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:2
Islands:9

Postby denfinella » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:05 am

malky_c wrote:This is top of my list of walks I want to do on Harris - hope it's as nice in a couple of weeks :) .

Thanks Malky... definitely worth doing (though tough going at times). Looks like the good weather's set to last a little while longer, so fingers crossed for you!

dbogosian wrote:Gorgeous photos! Just loved the one at the beach, at Mol an Tighe. Those colours are amazing, who would ever guess this is Scotland!

Thanks... I know, amazing places in weather like this. Might not look so nice on a more typical weather day :lol:
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland