walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Culra bothy 4. 1st July 18

Culra bothy 4. 1st July 18

Postby summerhill » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:26 am

Route description: Aonach Beag: Four Munros from Culra

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Beag (Alder), Beinn Èibhinn, Càrn Dearg (Loch Pattack), Geal-chàrn (Alder)

Date walked: 01/07/2018

Time taken: 6.15 hours

Distance: 18.5 km

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi all I'll keep this short and sweet.
Parked at Dalwhinnie train station at 7.30am cycled to Culra bothy, took me 1hr 15 min. Went straight up onto Carn Dearg, mostly free ranging. There are paths on the ridges but not on the large flat areas. The weather was brilliant , clear blue sky's. The walk from the bothy to the final Munro ( Beinn Elbhinn) was about 3hrs.
Getting back down to the stalkers path is all free ranging and a bit boggy. When your on the Bealach Dubh stalkers path it's about 3hrs back to Culra.
From the bothy and back again took me about 6hrs 15min. Don't be put off by the distance it's a crackin walk but you just have to put a little thought into planning your day.
The cycle back to the car took me 1hr 15min. I'm 61 with an average fitness level and was hesitant about doing the route but for me it was a tiring day but well worth it. Total time Inc cycle was about 8hr 45min. I would love to put pics on but haven't figured out how to do it yet.
summerhill
Munro compleatist

Munros:276   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland